LikeAGentleman
New Contributor
I am currently working with a couple manufacturers overseas on a few designs and have placed sample orders. My business is ramping up as i am getting ready to launch, through social media I have created a big buzz, to the point people are already asking to purchase my products. The problem is I have no product yet!
I am creating this business from scratch working with limited resources and learning as i go. I projected opening of the e-commerce site to be March 2013, taking into account lead time and shipping from China, and assumed I had this locked down.
Everything was going well with the first manufacturer to the point i placed my first order of product. I was fine with the terms MOQ 50 per design and 10 designs to start. 30% deposit was confirmed on 11/22/2012 and delivery would be 30-45 days. As of the email i received today they have not begun production yet due to it being the "Busy Season"!! I was advised they could issue a refund of deposit or begin shortly but now anticipate 60+ days for delivery...
In the past week or so i have requested quotes from several other manufacturers and almost everyone i have contacted has advised my MOQ would be 200-500 per design and more expensive per unit. They say they can get the product to me in 30 days max which is huge for me...I am working on a limited budget and this has taken me way out of my budget. I want to order several designs but smaller quantity of each so i am not sitting on a ton of stock.
Long story short, does anyone have any tips on negotiating MOQ down with overseas manufacturers? Before i respond I would like to have a structured negotiation so i at least sound credible haha. I do not have the buying power or selling power to order such large quantities and i don't want to lose the buzz. If anyone has experience in the fashion industry or textile importing i have several other questions as well. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I am creating this business from scratch working with limited resources and learning as i go. I projected opening of the e-commerce site to be March 2013, taking into account lead time and shipping from China, and assumed I had this locked down.
Everything was going well with the first manufacturer to the point i placed my first order of product. I was fine with the terms MOQ 50 per design and 10 designs to start. 30% deposit was confirmed on 11/22/2012 and delivery would be 30-45 days. As of the email i received today they have not begun production yet due to it being the "Busy Season"!! I was advised they could issue a refund of deposit or begin shortly but now anticipate 60+ days for delivery...
In the past week or so i have requested quotes from several other manufacturers and almost everyone i have contacted has advised my MOQ would be 200-500 per design and more expensive per unit. They say they can get the product to me in 30 days max which is huge for me...I am working on a limited budget and this has taken me way out of my budget. I want to order several designs but smaller quantity of each so i am not sitting on a ton of stock.
Long story short, does anyone have any tips on negotiating MOQ down with overseas manufacturers? Before i respond I would like to have a structured negotiation so i at least sound credible haha. I do not have the buying power or selling power to order such large quantities and i don't want to lose the buzz. If anyone has experience in the fashion industry or textile importing i have several other questions as well. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
