The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MOQ Issues... Start up on a budget HELP!

LikeAGentleman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 26, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
I am currently working with a couple manufacturers overseas on a few designs and have placed sample orders. My business is ramping up as i am getting ready to launch, through social media I have created a big buzz, to the point people are already asking to purchase my products. The problem is I have no product yet!

I am creating this business from scratch working with limited resources and learning as i go. I projected opening of the e-commerce site to be March 2013, taking into account lead time and shipping from China, and assumed I had this locked down.

Everything was going well with the first manufacturer to the point i placed my first order of product. I was fine with the terms MOQ 50 per design and 10 designs to start. 30% deposit was confirmed on 11/22/2012 and delivery would be 30-45 days. As of the email i received today they have not begun production yet due to it being the "Busy Season"!! I was advised they could issue a refund of deposit or begin shortly but now anticipate 60+ days for delivery...

In the past week or so i have requested quotes from several other manufacturers and almost everyone i have contacted has advised my MOQ would be 200-500 per design and more expensive per unit. They say they can get the product to me in 30 days max which is huge for me...I am working on a limited budget and this has taken me way out of my budget. I want to order several designs but smaller quantity of each so i am not sitting on a ton of stock.

Long story short, does anyone have any tips on negotiating MOQ down with overseas manufacturers? Before i respond I would like to have a structured negotiation so i at least sound credible haha. I do not have the buying power or selling power to order such large quantities and i don't want to lose the buzz. If anyone has experience in the fashion industry or textile importing i have several other questions as well. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.