The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money Can't Buy Happiness!

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Im sorry but I disagree with this thread, I understand the concept and philosphy behind this, but in this day and age it is simply not true.

I have lived a life at times where I can not afford to get on public transport and eat properly everyday. I have actually been struggling again for 6 months as I lost my job at christmas, the truth is simple.

The books I like to read are never found in my local library, I like to read books dating back to 15th century, so rarely do I find books I want to read so buying them or downloading them and printing them off is the only option, both of which need money.

To eat healthily you need money, a healthy mind body and soul will create a state of happiness. Most people will struggle to be happy if their brains are lacking in nutrients and clouded with stress.

I have been asked to go back for 2 days training for a job I recently applied for, the training is 3 hours of walking away, so 6 hours in total.

As much as I love walking, this is clearly not efficient.

Money does buy happiness but only when you spend it on your happiness, if you have money and all you do is waste it on junk and partying then you wont be happy.

On the other hand if you invest it in yourself, your health and your wealth, this is a different story.

I dont want to work at this job, believe me its not job of the century. But I have a dream, I have a vision and this job is taking me closer to my goal, therefore I am so thankful that I have managed to find a job in these bad times.

1 year and I will be self employed and earning good money, you need a job if you want to be wealthy, how else are you going to pay for a domain, pay for websites, pay for investments, or pay people to do the work for you.

A job is a blessing in disguise if used wisely.

G

Guest3722A

Im sorry but I disagree with this thread, I understand the concept and philosphy behind this, but in this day and age it is simply not true.

I have lived a life at times where I can not afford to get on public transport and eat properly everyday. I have actually been struggling again for 6 months as I lost my job at christmas, the truth is simple.

The books I like to read are never found in my local library, I like to read books dating back to 15th century, so rarely do I find books I want to read so buying them or downloading them and printing them off is the only option, both of which need money.

To eat healthily you need money, a healthy mind body and soul will create a state of happiness. Most people will struggle to be happy if their brains are lacking in nutrients and clouded with stress.

I have been asked to go back for 2 days training for a job I recently applied for, the training is 3 hours of walking away, so 6 hours in total.

As much as I love walking, this is clearly not efficient.

Money does buy happiness but only when you spend it on your happiness, if you have money and all you do is waste it on junk and partying then you wont be happy.

On the other hand if you invest it in yourself, your health and your wealth, this is a different story.

I dont want to work at this job, believe me its not job of the century. But I have a dream, I have a vision and this job is taking me closer to my goal, therefore I am so thankful that I have managed to find a job in these bad times.

1 year and I will be self employed and earning good money, you need a job if you want to be wealthy, how else are you going to pay for a domain, pay for websites, pay for investments, or pay people to do the work for you.

A job is a blessing in disguise if used wisely.

Seeing that you like books, how about using some creativity to build your own personal library of rare books that soon enough could be worth well over 6 figures?

Here's how it works:

1. Use the internet or go to the library and research what types of used books hold the most value for resale.

2. Go to several used book stores around town that purchase used books and see what they're selling used books for.

3. Get listings from the newspaper that give the dates of library sales.

4. Go to the sales early and purchase books by the bulk that hold resale value and sell them to the used book stores for a worthwhile spread but at a discount to their secondary market pricing.

5. Use the proceeds from the sales and purchase one or two rare books.

A very good friend of mine has done this for several years and he literally has a library that spans across four rooms of the same exact types of books you're looking for. His collection is extremely valuable and his cost basis was next to nothing.

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
1. Use the internet or go to the library and research what types of used books hold the most value for resale.

Thanks for the reply, but before I can move on to any other the other steps could you please explain more about the first. I did not know there is a search function for book values, I am from the UK so if you could enlighten me more about this, it seems like a feasable idea. I wont even need the money to buy the book if I can find a seller with stock, I can just do a dropship listing somewhere or take pre orders.

Please let me know as this is very interesting.

Thanks again my friend

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

Thanks for the reply, but before I can move on to any other the other steps could you please explain more about the first. I did not know there is a search function for book values, I am from the UK so if you could enlighten me more about this, it seems like a feasable idea. I wont even need the money to buy the book if I can find a seller with stock, I can just do a dropship listing somewhere or take pre orders.

Please let me know as this is very interesting.

Thanks again my friend

One more bit of info I'd like to give you with this venture is to also locate several book stores to sell your inventory to and make sure that you have a 'cleaner' at the end to pick up whatever you cannot sell elsewhere. Cleaners are usually the giant book sellers out there who also for the most part are the ones with the rare books you desire.:smxB:

God Bless and stay good... ok? :)

sharper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jan 18, 2010
London
It all comes down to each individual person.
You cannot generalize a statement like

"money can't buy happiness"

There is no universal answer to it.

I 100% agree with this... define your idea of happiness... maybe money wont buy it...

Ben Middleton

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 26, 2011
"money can't buy happiness"

I spent the best 24 hours of my life with an amazing female called Jiina from London. If i could move to London or even had the money to Travel to London just to visit her I'd be the happiest man on the planet.

Not having money = Very sad Ben. :cuss:

Kdthelegend

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 5, 2011
To me money equals freedom. I would use my money to allow me to be free for the rest of my life. My happiness will come from being able to do what I want, go where I want, buy what I want, and to spend my time doing what I want. As long as I know I got a nice sum of money stashed away in a bank that I can live off of for the rest of my life I'm good. As long as I got some money to give my kids a nice start into the real world I will be happy.

Any access money I would use to help others through various non profit organizations. I understand that I cannot be controlled by my money. But I must control my money and direct it to bring in more money, as I live my life without worry about money coming in. I just don't want to worry about money. I know once I get it I know how to keep it. I just don't won't money to ever be able to stop me from doing what I want to do in my life.

Anybid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 13, 2009
Switzerland
Well said, MJ!!!

to invest in a ticket to London in this case is indeed money properly used since you actually buy yourself a wonderful time, a terrific experience, that will eventually turn into a wonderful lasting memory. Great example (and of course the three F's play a big part in it);)

D

DeletedUser394

'Money can't buy me happiness
But I'm happiest when I can buy what I want, anytime that I want
Get high when I want.'

Who in this world wouldn't love the opportunity to do whatever they want, whenever they want, with the ability to purchase whatever they want, and visit wherever they want, and help whomever they want?

Money certainly helps the cause along.

Not wealthy yet, but I'm relatively happy now, even with so few resources at my disposal now. Why? Because every day I hustle harder and get one or two steps closer to the dream.

I'm meeting great people along the way, leaving bad influences behind, and growing as a person every step of the way.

KittyWrestler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
May 6, 2011
Look no further, here is your answer to "what is true happiness" based on a century long scientific research. The researchers did follow real folks for decades to conclude this:

You enjoy the true happiness when you are grateful for what you have and able to give back.
The recent research concluded that once you make around $50K - $70K for your family, anything beyond that doesn't contribute to your happiness as much as you think. However, your relationship with other humans matter a lot. If you have a very loving relationship with your family and friends and you are able to give back to them and your community, you tend to enjoy your life to the fullest.

Now, back to "if money brings happiness". I believe once you can make a few millions or billions, you won't feel happy spending it on "things". You will only feel happy when you can use that money to make a difference and improve others lives.

I am speaking from my own experience too. I have made a little over a million bucks and we still pull in quarter million a year. Financially, I feel no difference comparing to those days while I was making $60K and got only a few thousands in the bank. But it made a huge difference while I was able to get a few of my friends to attend a nerd conference on my dime (cuz I can), or buying 4 iPads for all my child's grandparents to facetime with us, or giving my best bud my spare car while hers broke down for a while and couldn't afford to fix it... When I helped others with resources I have, it contributed to my happiness...

Give, you shall receive. And I think what we receive is true happiness. Money is the mean for you to be able to give big.

Mckenzie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Aug 25, 2013
The question that comes to mind from your statements here are;
1- who will view you as a failure?
2- why do you care?

This guy had some serious guilt issues to contend with. This likely is due to the world view that wealth is bad and if you attain it you are lucky and you have an obligation to help those that didn't win the sperm lottery like you did. This is bullshit.

If you attain wealth, you deserve it. Money doesn't need to equal things however. As I stated with a blog reply to this guy, you can do much better things with your money than give it away. He could have gone to Brazil and bought land and started a farm. This would have been a productive asset which would have fed and employed people. He could have increased the world's prosperity with acts like these, instead he chose to destroy it.

By this, I mean, when you give money away to a charity, you are hiring managers to determine asset allocation. These are not productive people (usually). If they were, they would be doing something productive. You are paying them a salary for their time which decays the value of the investment. Then, they are giving money or food or clothes (or whatever) to people who didn't earn it. Then, by injecting these free or cheap goods into an economy, you crush the local competition because they cannot compete with free or very cheap. This creates an ongoing reliance on the charity because you have not given them sustainability, only an undeserved gift.

Think about it this way, if I gave you $100k per month, would you still go to work? Whatever you did at work, presumably, was productive, but now has completely evaporated. By giving you charity, I have destroyed productivity and therefore, wealth. Yes, I know this is a simple example, but I am too lazy to type out a long one).

On to your backpacking question. Why not go backpacking? Who cares what others think? In reality, your friends with their nice cars and nice houses will envy you because you will be experiencing more in 6 months than they will likely experience in their lifetimes because they are a slave to their things. They have a car payment and a mortgage. They must work daily doing things they may or may not enjoy to support their debt levels.

Do you need a car to be happy? Do you need a house? Maybe you do, maybe not. Only you can answer that. But what you need to survive is your capacity to think and work. Do you have the financial ability to backpack around Europe/South America (or wherever you were considering)? If it is something you want to do, is there going to be a better time to do it? Not likely.

You only ride this roller coaster once.
Bump...

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Finally! Gotten on Quora!:p

Another great platform to share the Fastlane doctrine....but stay away from the freelance section. Full of 'I want to make money' or 'Can you lead me by the hand' kind of questions. I somehow still got their questions on my feed although I blocked the section out from my Quora areas of interest.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a hair transplant , which is pretty damn close to happiness.

Maybe it can't always buy happiness, but poverty often does 'buy' unhappiness.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
FOTQ7TFWQAs0xiI

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.