The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mobile apps (is it an option for a new income stream?)

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking about new passiv income streams where I can use my already existing content to increase my income and to secure my existence.

Are mobile apps (maybe in combination with Google AdMob) an option?

I was thinking of something like a "closed reader app" just for one book/each story (maybe with a spoken audio line or pictures?)

I don't speak about professional interactive books like these childbooks where you have animations and stuff like that. I think that would be to expensive. But there are also simple "html to app cinverter" and maybe we can use it?

Even if you can't sell it ...maybe you can make money with ads or use the apps to promote your other books. The people already have a kindle device and already reading you books ...so the mobile is just a click away and I think many people would take a look at it?

- So if you know such "book apps" or if you have information or ideas ...please share it! :)

Bye,
Berliner030 from germany

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Why would I use your app instead of the Kindle app to read your book?

Can you offer some type of incentive in your existing books to get the app? Bonus content, membership club, etc?

If the app is cheap and easy to create, I would just try it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
dunno what happened here, double post :confused:

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
That's just a quick brainstorm:

- Better layout/formatting (could be an advantage for non fiction books)
- You can include audio/video or animated gifs (maybe more entertaining)
- You can include a navigation bar (maybe to include facebook/twitter or just interesting information about the author or background information about the book/story = additional content)
- No problems with affiliate links
- You can insert formulars (eg. for your mailing list)
- Reach new customers
- Get attention (because it's something new)
- New income stream that secures your existence
- Give it away for free but still making money with ads
- Maybe better updating, push notfication(?) I don't know if it's possible

Again: These are just my ideas and no exactly advantages. I don't know if it makes sense.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
That's just a quick brainstorm:

- Better layout/formatting (could be an advantage for non fiction books)
- You can include audio/video or animated gifs (maybe more entertaining)
- You can include a navigation bar (maybe to include facebook/twitter or just interesting information about the author or background information about the book/story = additional content)
- No problems with affiliate links
- You can insert formulars (eg. for your mailing list)
- Reach new customers
- Get attention (because it's something new)
- New income stream that secures your existence
- Give it away for free but still making money with ads

Again: These are just my ideas and no exactly advantages. I don't know if it makes sense.
These all make sense. I think you main challenge will be marketing it profitably. Do people in your niche (non-fiction?) search for apps?

I would create a simple HTML5 app, convert it to iOS using some tool, as just test it.

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
These all make sense. I think you main challenge will be marketing it profitably. Do people in your niche (non-fiction?) search for apps?

I would create a simple HTML5 app, convert it to iOS using some tool, as just test it.

NON FICTION:
I have several successful books in a specific health niche (+ email list, fb, twitter etc.). Everything is growing by alone. I want to create different products around this niche (more ebooks, more paperbacks, more audiobooks but also mobile apps, websites and maybe phisical products sometime) to build up a big business. Every product is pushing each other so at the end I have a big "product symbiosis". Then I just have to pump in new products in the different categories. That's my long term strategy.

FICTION:
My short term strategy (for the fast money) is to create fiction books. I don't see any chance to build a business with such different products around fiction. I have about 20 fiction books so far and I'm able to publish about 10 new books per month. If I already have 100 fiction books I plan to produce audio books (not primary to increase my income but to secure my existing).

So that's my background. I think it makes no sense to put the content of non fiction books 1:1 to a mobile app (I think additional content makes more sense for non fiction but that's another story). BUT I think that it makes sense for fiction books.

That's why I want to focus on "fiction book apps" because I can use my already existing content.

I don't think that the marketing is a big problem because I get my traffic from my books, fb site, twitter, mailing list etc.. This traffic can push up the app(s) to get visibility in the app store(s). And if the app is free I think more traffic will come naturally. Again: People are already reading your books (mostly on digital devices) so they are using apps and your app is just a click away. I think if you provide such an mobile app for your book(s) the people will primary download it because it's something new and special. And if you surprise them with nice features maybe they want to have/buy your other apps.

Just a simple example:
You have a favorite author and you love his books. Now you can download an app where you can read his newest book but also get "behind the scenes information" like sketches, photos, (video)interviews and stuff like that. That would be great and you (the author) have the chance to build a bigger relationship to your readers (bigger than any author who has not such an app).

Again: It's just the first idea ;)

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
@Berliner030 I think a lot of what you have mentioned is already being done with enhanced ebooks on both the iBook and Kindle stores (and the stuff that isn't may interfere with and detract from the reading experience).

While it wouldn't be too hard to create a book in HTML5 and convert it using PhoneGap or similar, you may do worse as you wouldn't be using the current distribution systems effectively. I buy a lot of ebooks and a lot of apps, but for me to even consider buying a 'closed reader app' you'd have to be offering something REALLY special. Perhaps your content is so unique that people won't mind, but I wouldn't be too sure.

If I was you, I'd focus on what can be done within the existing platforms. For example, HTML5 interactions and animations created in programs such as Tumult Hype work well in iBooks via HTML widgets. This opens up a lot of possibilities.

Remember to focus on what value you are providing your readers. I think a lot of the things you mentioned in this post that can't be done via the existing platform are more about helping yourself than helping your readers, if that makes sense?

Good luck with your project. I'm interested to see what direction you go in with this and how it works out.

Last edited by a moderator:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Apps is a difficult market today, If I really had to make an app then it would be content curation for a specific niche

Basically a News app for a certain niche, lets say your a restauranteur you would be interested in all things restaurant then you would want this app that finds and displays good articles. A bit like entrepreneur.com for entrepreneurs.

A closed ebook reader I would think is a fail tbh.

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
I mean something like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appmk.book.AOBTTGNI&hl=us

That's not the best example because it looks very boring. But I hope you know what I mean. The possibilities of HTML5 are nice but it doesn't work in Kindle books ...but in separate apps.

Maybe it's not the best way to publish a complete book but maybe for exerpts of upcoming books or a bonus chapter or something like that + bonus stuff about the story, the characters, the author etc. that you can not include to an ordinary ebook (or not in that way).

Is there really no one who can see the potential? Oo

Again: I talk about fiction and not to make big money with such an app (I wouldn't sell it but give it away for free). It's more for the promotion of other books. Nothing else than a perma free book is doing ...but in a different/special way where I get the attention of my customers (because everyone is publishing perma free books - they lost the effect more and more).

Last edited:

Stanley Mala

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 27, 2013
Sweden
Is there really no one who can see the potential? Oo
Unfortunately no. That "book" has not made more than 100$ (ad revenue) to begin with. Why would anyone want to download a book from the app store, that's what Kindle/Play books is for :p

Berliner030

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 1, 2014
Unfortunately no. That "book" has not made more than 100$ (ad revenue) to begin with. Why would anyone want to download a book from the app store, that's what Kindle/Play books is for :p

This book/app was just an example to show the possible direction. I've never said that this is the exactly way I would go because this app (just a book converted to an app) has no advantages. I would never download such an app because the existing ways (Kindle, Play books etc.) are great.

But with an app you can provide your readers/fans additional information of you (as the author) and/or your book(s). Not to make the big money with this app but to build a stronger relationship to your readers.

So let's say for example you have a new fantasy series. Your readers love it and they can't get enough. So you are able to provide them such an app with "bonus content". Eg: An additional chapter, additional information and maybe sketches about the characters or the world, maybe behind the scenes photos and information about the development process, maybe a video interview of you etc.

If someone is a fan of something (eg. of a person, movie, tv series, video game) they would love such an app. And there are already apps around persons, movies and so on - BUT there are no great apps around authors and books!

So the reading part (book to app) would be just a part of the app. It was just a first idea that I had. The intension of this thread is to brainstorm more possibilities/ideas (additional values that we can give our customers) and possibilities to realise it in an inexpensive way.

EDIT:
It's nothing else than a website, perma free book or a mailing list is already doing - give content for free away, build up a strong relationship between you and your customers and sell products at the back end. But every author is doing this - so it's less effective. But with an app you (can) get the attention because no one else (in the fiction book market) is using this "format". And again: We know that almost everyone of our customers have a digital device where they already buying our products/books ...an app is just a click away for them. So the chance is high that they'll take a look to such an app. And I think the chance that they'll install such an app is higher than that they'll visit your website and subscribe to your mailing list.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The app market is hard to stand out in today. So many people trying to make a quick buck with apps it's hard to get recognition.

Most apps out there today are poorly made. You'll notice the graphics are choppy or the UI is all over the place etc. if you want a successful app you're competing against big companies with more people and resources.

I think if you outsource an app, you will unlikely end up with an elegant and smooth design for anyone less in the thousands of dollars range. The other option is learn how to code them and do it yourself.

My point is this: despite the preconcived notions that many have, apps are a tough market. It takes a lot of work to make a decent app. On the other hand, if what you're looking for is a bit of side-income, rather than looking to score huge millions, it may be worth a shot.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
So let's say for example you have a new fantasy series. Your readers love it and they can't get enough.

If you have a fantasy series with lots of readers who can't get enough (think Harry Potter or Game of Thrones big) then I can see how this would be worth considering.

because no one else (in the fiction book market) is using this "format"

I think there is a reason why many others aren't using this "format" and it's not because it hasn't been thought of or tried before.

There are lots of examples of interactive app books out there (see here or here), but the best ones that I've seen would cost a small fortune to develop and I just don't see how building something like this for your fiction books would result in the increased income you are looking for.

Edit: Best interactive book I've used is the WWF Together app. If you haven't already, download it and see what's possible.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
I think it's time to VALIDATE your idea!
Make a mock-up of it, doesn't have to be fancy, a drawing, or graphic and actually see if people want it.
Here's one way to validate at 5290 -

Just try it, you'll see if it's worth it or not!

G

GuestUser112

So an app that makes the reading experience more interactive, like when DVD came out and movies started coming with bonus footage and interactive games and whatnot

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.