The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

@MjDeMarco Do you plan to write a book on investing?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I'm PRAYING for this.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco I have finished "Unscripted " and loved the investing portion. Will you be writing a book on investing and your methods? Who influenced you or what books did you use to influence your methodologies?

Probably not...

However, I'd like to write book about the importance of mathematics as it pertains to wealth. Investing would be a subset in this material, but not in the conventional manner as espoused by the mainstream. As you know, I don't believe "investing" in the traditional sense (indexed funds, etc.) is a meaningful way to build wealth simply by virtue that it requires too much time while being reliant on a positive economy.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Can't wait. I was actually pretty good at math. I represented my school in a national competition. Didn't pursue it further though. Maybe if I understood some things I would have 'seen the light' earlier.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

Deleted78083

However, I'd like to write book about the importance of mathematics as

Agreed. I'd go even further, if my maths course had been finance course in highschool, god knows the attention i would have paid then.

<__David__>

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 4, 2020
Flordia
Probably not...

However, I'd like to write book about the importance of mathematics as it pertains to wealth. Investing would be a subset in this material, but not in the conventional manner as espoused by the mainstream. As you know, I don't believe "investing" in the traditional sense (indexed funds, etc.) is a meaningful way to build wealth simply by virtue that it requires too much time while being reliant on a positive economy.

I'd be very interested in a book regarding math and how it applies to wealth.

Question
  • It wasn't entirely clear what kind of diversification you do? Are you hyper focused on a few key investments that meet your criteria?
  • How often are you checking your investments / applying your mathematical rules to sell or purchase more?
  • You mentioned you sell during market turmoil for capital preservation. The key mantra of "you can't time" the market, does this ring true for you?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
  • It wasn't entirely clear what kind of diversification you do? Are you hyper focused on a few key investments that meet your criteria?

You're asking questions from a mainstream investing prism. My *investing* strategy is purely on an income basis, or what's called "the paycheck pot" which is described in Unscripted , I believe Chapter 43. From a conventional wisdom perspective, I rarely use the markets for growing wealth -- I use it for income and liquidity. This is the consistent message I've been writing about for 10+ years.

My paycheck pot holdings are boring; utility companies, closed-end funds, municipal bonds, REITs -- anything with stable dividend growth and a stable business model.

• How often are you checking your investments / applying your mathematical rules to sell or purchase more?

I wrote about this in Unscripted so I'm not going to repeat it here.

I have some stuff at brokerages which I don't check very often, perhaps once per month. However my investments at my main trading account I check daily, only by virtue that I'm an active options trader. If I wasn't, then I wouldn't be checking but once per week or so, just to make sense of where things are, and if some type of move needs to be done.

• You mentioned you sell during market turmoil for capital preservation. The key mantra of "you can't time" the market, does this ring true for you?

I never said this. I don't try to time the market, I try to make the best investing decisions based on the available information.

I *sell* when I perceive things are overheated, economic conditions change, or something else comes to light. Often times, this is the right decision, many times, not. When it comes to my paycheck pot, I don't do a lot of selling unless things move up quickly and I can capture years of dividends in a matter of days or weeks. On the downside, I only sell when the material outlook for the company has changed both in the near and long term.

For example, in the CV crash, I didn't sell holdings, I added.

Again, I wrote about this extensively in Unscripted so I'm not going to recite it here.

As for my options trading, in my opinion, this is more suited to wealth creation. If that interests anyone, there is a 50+ page thread on the INSIDE detailing my philosophy there. That has worked marvelously for me, including this year.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikemiller

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 19, 2019
@MJ DeMarco I have finished "Unscripted " and loved the investing portion. Will you be writing a book on investing and your methods? Who influenced you or what books did you use to influence your methodologies?
Hi,
I would love to write a book about investing in commercial property. I have so many authors in my mind but basically am studying how investing happens in commercial real estate. Some paid sites like Enriched Data are giving information on the top investors, top invested commercial property for the month. Hoping it will be useful for anybody who is ready to draft a book.

spinventing

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Apr 25, 2020
Kansas City
Probably not...

@MJ DeMarco I would love to read a book on mathematics as it pertains to wealth from you. You have an interesting and engaging writing style. I have not read much, but from what I have read you are by far one of my favorite authors!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.