The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ As Skeptical African Kid

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Everytime I see MJs avatar of The Skeptical African Kid I buss up laughing and think in my head:

Oooooohhhhh Ooohhhhhhhh Kill Em!!!
This is a popular phrase by Lil Terio, another (1st World Kid...) who is also very popular on Memes...(he is popular/known for dancing in a vine video.)

What is the formula for making these pictures and videos go viral? The wording? What makes something just take off and get instant word of mouth exposure like this? Further, how can you apply that to a business product? Make marketing funny? Cheesy? Low budget?

The pic of the African kid and the video of Terio are both so simple... What was it about it that gave it that IT factor, where everyone just had to share it??? Because they were both so funny?

Background on the image:

Skeptical Third World Success Kid
On June 22nd, 2012, Redditor anute3392 submitted a photograph of an Ugandan child titled “Skeptical 3rd World Child”[28] to the /r/pics subreddit. Apparently taken by Redditor Nepalm[32] during her trip to Uganda as a voluntary member of the Student Global Health Alliance, the photograph became an instant favorite and reached the frontpage of Reddit within hours of upload. The thread[28] went onto receive more than 17,000 upvotes and 725 comments in the first 24 hours, as well as spawning a series of image macros with captions alluding to the Third World Success Kid and the Skeptical Baby, an advice animal character based on a photo of an eyebrow-raising infant that emerged months earlier in January 2012.

Background on Lil Terio:

http://www.complex.com/tech/2013/08/terio-maleek-vine-kid-interview

This is Lil Terio:
Terio.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
The meme thing itself seems to be all about the theming. You get some interesting situation, usually one that's funny or novel, attach a persona to it and let people come up with their own clever slogans. Expressions on animals/children/babies are good for that... It naturally compels people to participate and share.

The underlying question is, "What makes people share something?" and that's much harder to answer. I think it's mostly an act of bonding, and a little bit of vanity. "I found this really funny picture! My friends will like it too, and we'll get to laugh together, and they'll all think I'm so cool for finding this stuff!"
Doesn't have to be funny though, could be any emotion really. Angry, we can be outraged together. Philosophetical, we are so ponderous and deep. Sad, we are so caring people :( etc.

http://imgur.com/c8mS7xX Kids these days...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The child is emblematic about how I feel around here sometimes...

"So you're telling me..... you're gonna get rich this year because your just joined a new "groundbreaking" MLM?"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.