The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Millionaire Reddit AMA (ask me anything)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
good question, I am the sole exporter (In the way of legalized monopolies) of Apple products into certain parts of the world. This enables me to sell the $650 iphones sold here in apple stores for 200%-500% mark ups as well as all other Apple products. I am relatively young so I have a passion for cars and I have those moments when I walk into a dealership and they don't take me seriously due to the way I looks and dress and just say F*ck it and drop a quarter million.

This had nothing to do with apple. I got in touch with the government agencies that regulate such matter in the countries that I work with. It's funny, Apple can't sell their own product there unless they go through me.

thats quite interesting..

also had a laugh on this one :D
lawyer.jpg

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
This is an interesting one...he says some things that you dont normally hear/read from people in his tax bracket

[–]gottabefunky 901 points 17 hours ago

Also, assuming you hang out with other ultra-rich folks, how do they act and think differently from the 99%, in general?

[–]milliondollarAMA 2053 points 17 hours ago

they all think they are better than everyone else because they have more money but the reality of the matter is that they are all morally corrupt and many of them inherited their money. They see themselves as the tit that society is sucking on when in reality they are the ones sucking the life out of everyone else. I strive to be different, at least I try.

MNentre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Dec 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, I read through this yesterday during the day. What exactly does he do?

What i grabbed from it:
-He exports Apple products to another region/country
-Lives in Washington
-Started the business 5 years ago
-He got this contract from the government. So apple cant decide who is there exporter? Is that true? It seems to me like he is making a lot of money for something so simple. Apple products sell themselves and all buyers in his region are required to go through him.

Taking it one step further, what are the other opportunities like this that exist? Obviously apple is the goldmine of exporters, but do all companies and industries go through this same process? Does anyone on this forum have any insight into this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd take this guy's story with huge grain of salt.

From what I've read from the included excerpts on this thread, this guy is full of shit. Translation: He isn't a millionaire.

they all think they are better than everyone else because they have more money but the reality of the matter is that they are all morally corrupt and many of them inherited their money.

IMO, this is the tell ... it stinks of someone who isn't rich, but thinks he knows what they'd be like based on media misinformation ... it's great fodder for Redditors.

Another questionable item is the mention of a red convertible Ferrari ... really? A 360? A 430? A Mondial? Which? I never referred to my Lamborghini as a "convertible Lambo" - I referred to it as my Murci Roadster.

From my own "multimillionaire" perspective, it smells of BS.

383559_415862738470257_950197404_n.jpg

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yeah...I read through a lot of it thinking the guy wasn't really who he said he was, although I have no proof. For the record, someone on reddit was asking for a "IMA" from a multi-millionaire yesterday.

Someone on this board want to to a "I am a REAL multimillionaire" IMA on Reddit? lol

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
Expect a link to an ebook on "How to become a millionaire in less than 3 years" for just 19.99$ in the next coming days. He didn't want to do it, but "others"(his other accounts) requested it.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Expect a link to an ebook on "How to become a millionaire in less than 3 years" for just 19.99$ in the next coming days. He didn't want to do it, but "others"(his other accounts) requested it.

He'd probably make a lot of money doing this too.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Does it bother anyone else that a great many of the questions were about what it's like to be a millionaire rather than how to become one?

Limited questions about his choice of business; limited questions about how he tested his product and studied and reached his market; limited questions about who he learned from or how he knew to execute the way he did.

I believe the theme of most of the questions opened a door for him to give himself away unconsciously. Plus, I highly doubt that any true millionaire would waste any amount of time on Reddit of all places fielding questions.

Just my $0.02.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
:icon_bs:

:bsmeter:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Does it bother anyone else that a great many of the questions were about what it's like to be a millionaire rather than how to become one?

Limited questions about his choice of business; limited questions about how he tested his product and studied and reached his market; limited questions about who he learned from or how he knew to execute the way he did.

I believe the theme of most of the questions opened a door for him to give himself away unconsciously. Plus, I highly doubt that any true millionaire would waste any amount of time on Reddit of all places fielding questions.

Just my $0.02.

There are successful people who field questions on Reddit, fairly often, actually. Not saying the guy was for real, because I don't believe he was.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
There are successful people who field questions on Reddit, fairly often, actually. Not saying the guy was for real, because I don't believe he was.

Oh, cool. I'd never been there before this thread.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

After Barack Obama did an IAmA, anything's possible there. But yeah, most of the time, people are legit.

There have been a ton of millionaires on Reddit, many of them legit. You could probably find one doing an IAmA every day.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The moderators on reddit will often confirm (and state such) when proof has been provided privately to confirm a claim.

Famous/important people tend to tweet from their official accounts or create a sub-page on their website saying "Hi reddit" or such.

Also - any scheduled, legit AMAs show up on the "upcoming" list on the right of the page. One of the mythbusters did one just the other day, Obama did one, etc...

Edit - looks like a mod is actually claiming he's legit. The mod says: "He showed bank statements and an ID to match the name on the statements." No reason it couldn't be photoshopped so take this with a grain of salt.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yeap anyone can photoshop a bank statement.

Tony Hawk is doing an IAMA right now.

VanToai

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2012
DC Area
I agree with all the sentiment here. It's - I don't know if "disappointing" would be the right world - but it just feels funny reading the majority of Reddit questions and comments. It's the opposite of abundance mentality. Clueless is harsh, but it's probably a fair description for most of those posters.

uEhD6.jpg

"I know the only way they can really get going is funding..."

"absolutely, I agree with you"

::facepalm::

There's a lot of nonsense in this QnA, but being bootstrapping software entrepreneur myself, that bit in particular hit the closest for me. Such a ridiculous limiting belief, VALIDATED by this guy. F*cking baffling.

(I responded... not that it matters).

For anyone here who's curious about the topic, the guys at 37Signals are some of the most outspoken about it. They dedicated a series to the bootstrapping mentality:

"Bootstrapped, Profitable, and Proud" - interviews and case studies of successfully bootstrapped companies:
37signals: Bootstrapped, Profitable and Proud

And 37Signals parter David Heinemeier-Hansson ("DHH") gave a presentation at Startup School in 2008, shooting epic, epic truths - including the dark side of fundraising:
David Heinemeier Hansson at Startup School 08 - YouTube

That shit gets me going. End rant.

Last edited:

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
I was thinking about this, and I wonder if this is a guy who actually inherited his money. If you think about some of the things he said, it kinda makes sense. A lot of it sounded like a guy who is close to people who might run businesses, but it was consistently off in the way that people are when they're trying to fake first-hand knowledge.

Like when he said something like "the business I was in expanded rapidly." Who would talk like that about a business they created? It just seems off.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Ok, since he is/was in a frat, we can assume he is an american citizen and he says he is in his 20's. Unless I am mistaken, he has to go through the US embassy in said country to even set this business up, so wait, a 18-23 year old flew to a foreign country and negotiated a deal with a foreign government to be the sole distributor of apple products while working with the US embassy to make sure he was keeping legality? Sounds like something his uncle might do, unless the kid's daddy has some contacts with the officials in said countries and he doesn't have to establish a relationship.

2nd thing I noticed: He referred to himself as the "sole exporter in certain parts of the country", not sure how many people use the term "sole exporter" when in fact from what I understand he is importing products, I think if he were legit he might refer to himself as a sole distributor like all of the other sole distributors in the world, but maybe not?

3rd thing: Frats in general probably tend to be filled more with the "born into it" type than the "worked my a$$ off for it" type, no evidence for this one but I just get that feeling deep down this kid is regurgitating all this information from what his dad has told him about what he does when they meet for lunches and talk.

:lame:

How to become a sole distributor: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/become-sole-distributor-14687.html

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
That's sad.

I want one of our millionaires to do an IAmA. Preferably someone like Jack, because he doesn't have a book or a blog.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I want one of our millionaires to do an IAmA.

Every question asked by Joe Public to successful people, especially on reddit, usually ends up the same:

- How did you do it?
- Can you show me how to do this?
- What's the easiest way to do what you did? Can you show me step by step?
- How did you come up with the idea?
- How did you get so lucky?
- Who helped you?
- I'm not rich and you shouldn't be either. How do you live with yourself?

And a ton of other slowlane/sidewalk questions.

It's entertaining, but almost never valuable. Usually the best questions/answers are buried at the bottom between "What's the color of your cat?" and "Boxers or Briefs?".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.