The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Metal Gear's BJJ, Health, and Fitness Progress

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • There is a saying that goes "How you do anything is how you do everything"
    • Like any proverb, this isn't to be taken to the extreme
  • Every now and then I step outside of myself to check-in
    • What mindset am I coming from?
    • Am I making this decision from a place of fear and lack or abundance and creativity?
    • Living to not lose is not the same thing as living to win
  • I have been practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am surrounded by a ton of former college athletes and military personnel
    • The truth is these people are physically ahead of me in size, strength, and power
    • I have been forced to step up my game and evolve
    • I have been tweaking my diet, mobility and recovery routine, and overall lifestyle this past year
    • I will be sharing my meal prep along with the macros
      • My contribution to this wonderful forum
  • I am sharing my journey because there are way too many parallels with entrepreneurship
    • Technique, spirit, discipline, and tenacity are the same characteristics required to succeed
    • Entrepreneurship requires taking action and learning to flow with the challenges
    • 20181222_121437.jpg
"The real belt is in your mind and body. The belt around your waist is just a symbol of that - don't fixate on the symbol". - John Danaher

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
As an avid lifter that actually tracks macros/calories, I'll be following this thread! Currently in my winter bulk... hurts to look in the mirror every morning.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Facebook-Lol-15c2fb.png

44ccb31d2322170dd8d4051c3b5080f3b2f3252dee39f3fb2d55708ce406674c.jpg

Nice+shirt+bro+dont+mess+with+a+guy+wearing+a_b002e9_3704006.jpg

Just kidding...

Everything you've said...
upload_2018-12-22_19-5-48.jpeg

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
edit: Thought you just started today - didn't see the stripe. Whatever. My post still holds value for you and anyone else interested in BJJ

---

I started BJJ the last week of August, just got my 1st stripe, enjoying it a lot

Some days you will do good, some (most) days you will get your a$$ kicked or just go neutral

It's more important that you focus on concepts and getting a positional advantage before any subs really... it's way more important to have good side control or good passing than it is to have a good triangle choke...

In regards to submissions - a common notion amongst black belts is that a proper submission is like baking a cake - every ingredient is taken into account beforehand, otherwise they won't try to bake the cake - it would be like baking a cake without eggs or something

I would just try to go for submissions without having the pre-requisites in place, and 90% of the time you lose them and end up paying for it

More concepts:

-If you're attacking, don't give them any space - use them as your mat and make sure you push your weight on them heavy...

-If you're defending, your goal is to make space so you can recover guard, or at least get to the next "slightly less shitty" position

-If you're inside someones closed guard, your #1 priority is to get out

-If you have someone inside YOUR closed guard, your #1 priority is to get a sub or a sweep... I like sweeps because closed guard is already like a mount, you just have to turn it upside down. If you sweep someone from closed guard, you're now in full mount. I find it easier to exert control from mount - some people have a good enough closed guard that they'll get submissions from it (triangle, armbar, omoplata)... I'm working on mine and it's getting better everyday

-STAY SMALL/TIGHT - do not be the one extending... make them extend. You don't want to have your wrist or ankle too far from the rest of your body... the further isolated, the more weak you become. I learned the hard way many times, and I now try to keep my limbs to myself. Be in control of your body, keep your limbs to yourself. I never reach anymore. I let them reach. I pull. YOU want to be the one with your elbows close to your body, not them. Think if we were arm wrestling - the person with the elbow closer to his body has a distinct advantage.

-Hydrate well/have a good diet outside of class, and learn to breathe and not exert so much damn energy. Some people get so tired that you just have to survive their initial 1 min rampage before you can dominate them. I like to take it slow, I like a "tactician" style more than a "brute" style.

-Life is unfair - I am small too (150 lb). I used to get frustrated because a 200+lb guy would show up and F*ck me up on his first day with NO technique. This is life. As you get better, you will be able to compensate with technique. Two people of equal skill level? The bigger one should win. A 150lb black belt vs a 200+lb white belt? I'm putting my money on the black belt every time.

-THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP - TAP CONSTANTLY

Jiu jitsu is about exchanging information - you are entering a mutual agreement with your training partner that you will share each others bodies for research. Class is NOT a competition. Leave the ego bullshit behind. I injured myself (maybe permanently, I don't know yet) a couple times already because I didn't want to tap when I should have.

Sometimes you'll be doing real well and something shitty happens and you end up in a bad position... just tap...

If you want to feel how a sub feels, just ask your partner to put on an armbar slowly so you can feel how it feels

But if you get caught in a shit position, just tap and start over, and take what you learned from your mistake to make sure you don't go down the same road again - same thing as entrepreneurship

Also don't roll with assholes - if there's anyone aggressive or someone that just comes to class to F*ck shit up, F*ck that guy. Respectfully decline. I'm not taking an injury because someone else has anger issues/small penis syndrome

Have fun bro, you made a great choice for your mental, physical and emotional health. There is a very tribal, very primitive, very deep benefit to playfighting with other monkeys. The benefits are so much more than you realize at first glance.

Good luck

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
  • There is a saying that goes "How you do anything is how you do everything"
    • Like any proverb, this isn't to be taken to the extreme
  • Every now and then I step outside of myself to check-in
    • What mindset am I coming from?
    • Am I making this decision from a place of fear and lack or abundance and creativity?
    • Living to not lose is not the same thing as living to win
  • I have been practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am surrounded by a ton of former college athletes and military personnel
    • The truth is these people are physically ahead of me in size, strength, and power
    • I have been forced to step up my game and evolve
    • I have been tweaking my diet, mobility and recovery routine, and overall lifestyle this past year
    • I will be sharing my meal prep along with the macros
      • My contribution to this wonderful forum
  • I am sharing my journey because there are way too many parallels with entrepreneurship
    • Technique, spirit, discipline, and tenacity are the same characteristics required to succeed
    • Entrepreneurship requires taking action and learning to flow with the challenges
    • View attachment 22969
"The real belt is in your mind and body. The belt around your waist is just a symbol of that - don't fixate on the symbol". - John Danaher

BJJ and MMA is a real passion of mine such a great sport, if your ever in Melbourne hit me up and we will have a roll.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • I have been doing HIIT twice a week in addition to BJJ
  • I feel so beat up after rolling in BJJ
    • Will add more yin style yoga to my weekly routine
    • Yin yoga involves staying in a pose, stretching, and breathing in that pose for 2 or more minutes
  • Recipes with pictures of meal prep to come by Monday afternoon

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
BJJ and MMA is a real passion of mine such a great sport, if your ever in Melbourne hit me up and we will have a roll.

As soon as I hit the fast lane, let's train and go scuba diving

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
edit: Thought you just started today - didn't see the stripe. Whatever. My post still holds value for you and anyone else interested in BJJ

---

I started BJJ the last week of August, just got my 1st stripe, enjoying it a lot

Some days you will do good, some (most) days you will get your a$$ kicked or just go neutral

It's more important that you focus on concepts and getting a positional advantage before any subs really... it's way more important to have good side control or good passing than it is to have a good triangle choke...

In regards to submissions - a common notion amongst black belts is that a proper submission is like baking a cake - every ingredient is taken into account beforehand, otherwise they won't try to bake the cake - it would be like baking a cake without eggs or something

I would just try to go for submissions without having the pre-requisites in place, and 90% of the time you lose them and end up paying for it

More concepts:

-If you're attacking, don't give them any space - use them as your mat and make sure you push your weight on them heavy...

-If you're defending, your goal is to make space so you can recover guard, or at least get to the next "slightly less sh*tty" position

-If you're inside someones closed guard, your #1 priority is to get out

-If you have someone inside YOUR closed guard, your #1 priority is to get a sub or a sweep... I like sweeps because closed guard is already like a mount, you just have to turn it upside down. If you sweep someone from closed guard, you're now in full mount. I find it easier to exert control from mount - some people have a good enough closed guard that they'll get submissions from it (triangle, armbar, omoplata)... I'm working on mine and it's getting better everyday

-STAY SMALL/TIGHT - do not be the one extending... make them extend. You don't want to have your wrist or ankle too far from the rest of your body... the further isolated, the more weak you become. I learned the hard way many times, and I now try to keep my limbs to myself. Be in control of your body, keep your limbs to yourself. I never reach anymore. I let them reach. I pull. YOU want to be the one with your elbows close to your body, not them. Think if we were arm wrestling - the person with the elbow closer to his body has a distinct advantage.

-Hydrate well/have a good diet outside of class, and learn to breathe and not exert so much damn energy. Some people get so tired that you just have to survive their initial 1 min rampage before you can dominate them. I like to take it slow, I like a "tactician" style more than a "brute" style.

-Life is unfair - I am small too (150 lb). I used to get frustrated because a 200+lb guy would show up and f*ck me up on his first day with NO technique. This is life. As you get better, you will be able to compensate with technique. Two people of equal skill level? The bigger one should win. A 150lb black belt vs a 200+lb white belt? I'm putting my money on the black belt every time.

-THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP - TAP CONSTANTLY

Jiu jitsu is about exchanging information - you are entering a mutual agreement with your training partner that you will share each others bodies for research. Class is NOT a competition. Leave the ego bullshit behind. I injured myself (maybe permanently, I don't know yet) a couple times already because I didn't want to tap when I should have.

Sometimes you'll be doing real well and something sh*tty happens and you end up in a bad position... just tap...

If you want to feel how a sub feels, just ask your partner to put on an armbar slowly so you can feel how it feels

But if you get caught in a sh*t position, just tap and start over, and take what you learned from your mistake to make sure you don't go down the same road again - same thing as entrepreneurship

Also don't roll with assholes - if there's anyone aggressive or someone that just comes to class to f*ck sh*t up, f*ck that guy. Respectfully decline. I'm not taking an injury because someone else has anger issues/small penis syndrome

Have fun bro, you made a great choice for your mental, physical and emotional health. There is a very tribal, very primitive, very deep benefit to playfighting with other monkeys. The benefits are so much more than you realize at first glance.

Good luck

I've actually trained on and off for 4 years now and am not that much of a newbie, stuck at white because I had to move jobs and also because of a really bad rib injury.

Most of the time I tap because I'm too gassed out, and yes I tap often.

I'm taking my cardio and mobility training much more seriously now, rather be in shape like a gymnast with a shit ton of cardio and mobility than a body builder.

Highly recommend the following:

How To Beat Bigger Guys by Bruno Malfacine
Half Domination by Tom DeBlass
Back Attacks Enter The System by John Danaher
Leglocks: Enter The System by John Danaher

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Meal Prep
    • The hardest part about meal prep is... logistics
    • I suggest a purge of all old junk food and generally organizing the kitchen to make this all easier
    • Lists for groceries and a map of the store are helpful too
Asian Turkey Meatballs - Chef Savvy
  • I used almond flour instead of panko breadcrumbs
  • Also used a bit of coconut aminos instead of hoisin and soy sauce
Asian Turkey Meatballs
Serving size - 6 meatballs

Calories - 296
Fat - 12g
Carbs - less than 18g (because I didn't use panko)
Protein - 30g
Sugar - 4g
Sodium - way less than 2800mg

20190111_113930.jpg

• BJJ and General Fitness
    • Man I feel beat up hahaha
    • I love grabbing gymnastics rings and just twisting and hanging
    • Steady at 180lbs, down from 195lbs last September

Last edited:

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • I have been sustaining my diet by ordering meal prep service
    • Starting to get the right balance of ordering meal prep vs cooking at home
    • For some reason, I gained 3lbs even though I have been monitoring my food like a mad man (hopefully it is muscle since my clothes still feel as lose, I'll get an electronic fat measuring device)
    • I am staying away from certain inflammatory foods because I noticed I don't breathe as well after having certain types of foods
    • Watch out for the 8 major allergens in general
  • I still feel mostly beat up at BJJ and Muay Thai
  • The internal conversation is "I suck" and I'm working on changing that
  • Playing to not lose is not the same thing as playing to win
  • I know I'm definitely better than last year
  • Yin yoga and slow flow type of classes have helped balance all of the lifting and contraction

Last edited:

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Strengthen Your CORE - The McGill Big 3

• These are a must for me these days...early in the morning to rehab my core and get blood flowing
  • More blood flow = more healing via air, nutrients, and water
  • It might hurt a little but I have noticed that it helps my recovery from bruised ribs

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.