The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Merging into the Fastlane from Austin, TX

MichelleCheri

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 14, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm a 31-year old litigation paralegal from Austin, and am nearly finished with my first reading of The Millionaire Fastlane .

I'm what you could call a "serial entrepreneur." I'm GREAT at starting new projects. I've been working as a paralegal for 11 years, but am never happy unless I have a project to dive into during my off-hours. I love learning new things and facing challenges. I've started a novel, a memoir and a nonfiction book, and developed writer's block on every one. I've started product review websites that generated Amazon affiliate income and blogs that generated affiliate and ad income, all of which saw drops down to $0/month after multiple Google and Amazon Associates program updates.

Then there was the service business that generated $9-14K/mo in profits, but also required 12-14 hours a day of my time, 7 days a week. I realized I was miserable, and that my business wasn't scalable. So I returned to being an employee, and I really do love my job, my firm and my boss. Luckily, my boss is very open-minded and flexible, and as long as I get my work done, I have malleable hours and can work from home as much as I want/need to, which is a big help in finding time for other projects.

I get a lot of great business book recommendations from my boss, and one of those was the 4-Hour Workweek. Ferris' focus on time as your greatest asset really hit home for me, and reinvigorated my desire to create a reliable, passive income. Tim Ferris led me to Steven Key's One Simple Idea, which opened my eyes to the world of licensing, and also led me to The Millionaire Fastlane .

At the moment, I'm poised to start making contact with potential licensees for an e-reader accessory. I made a prototype, created a sell sheet, have compiled a list of contacts in that field. I'm finishing up my PPA, and have given myself a deadline of October 31 to file that with the USPO. (Because my idea is geared toward one particular type of e-reader, I'm doing a bit more research on how to build in some additional protections for making the same accessory for different e-readers. My next stop is Vigilante, to ask for some newbie advice.)

I have 2 more licensing ideas on the back burner, and will proceed with those after I get my feet wet with Idea #1.

Beyond that, I'm researching a subscription-based website for paralegals, a software application for a specific sector of law, and a new twist on a travel aggregation website. The challenge in each of these is deciding whether I should learn to code and build each project myself, or spend the time and expense of outsourcing the work. But that's a topic for another thread.

All in all, I'm really excited, and ready to learn as much as possible and put that knowledge to good use.

Ciao,
MichelleCheri

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Last edited by a moderator:

MichelleCheri

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 14, 2012
Austin, TX
Welcome! You are quite busy. As I tell all the new people, read a lot here. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

If you have a licensing question, why not ask Steven Key himself? There is a thread in the book section and he joined in:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/book-recommendations/30946-one-simple-idea-stephen-key.html

Ha! If I'm not careful, I'll be too busy to actually accomplish anything. I'm going to do my best to follow MJ's "monogamy" advice and follow through with my first licensing project before moving forward with anything else. Thanks for the link! From what I hear, Steven Key is very accessible. I'll definitely give him a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Welcome Michelle! One at a time... focus on one thing and make it fantastic. It's more Zen like and less hectic than juggling a variety of projects. Pick your favorite and go get em.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome to the fastlane MichelleCheri. I am right up I-35 from you. Are you going to try out the new 85 mph tollway soon?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you're sick of Slowlane businesses and wanna merge onto the Fastlane.

The forum is a goldmine. If you don't find something after using search feature, ask. Chances are, someone knows the answer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...