• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Medical Cannabis Industry and Their Stocks

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by MJ DeMarco, Sep 5, 2018.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,901
    Admin Post
    As I've mentioned a few years back in several threads (sorry can't find the posts) I believe Cannabis and its medical implications will be the newest big thing and we've already seen it happening in some of the publicly traded stocks.

Are any stocks on your radar?
    Any we should watch?
    Any you invested in?

Recent upswings have happened in CRON, TLRY, and a few others.

And for all of you that want to invest in marijuana related companies, but don't know where, there's the marijuana ETF, affectionately called "MJ".

As for myself, I was eyeballing "MJ" a few months ago and then forgot about it. Looks like I missed part of a big run.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,912
    Just had a phone meeting this afternoon about this industry. Can't say what we are going to do right now but maybe later I can.... after we present it to them. We hope they are smart enough to see the value in what we have to offer. I said YES before my partner even finished telling me what he was thinking. lol The down side to this is we have 3 more partners but they did all agree. We need them or else we would not have 3 other people. They are top notch.

YoungPadawan likes this.
  3. Bryan James

Bryan James Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $378
    A lot of investor buddies of mine strongly disagree with me on this subject. I am a much more conservative/cautious investor myself and as of now hitting the jackpot on one of these marijuana stocks is like pure speculation. For starters, these companies have only been public for a few years, or even months now, meaning we the public only just recently got the opportunity to find out about the management teams and any of their financials. In addition, so many new companies in this sector continue to pop up and make headlines; I have no clue as of now which company within the next 5 to 10 years will be the top dog or even in the top 3 of the industry. Personally I look for long-term financial consistency in their financial reports for a durable competitive advantage which at this time is pretty much impossible to discern. If anyone out there is planning on investing in any weed stocks, however, just be extremely careful and understand the high risk. Of course, anyone could potentially make a ton of money on the existing public companies out there, it's just something I, being a more conservative investor, personally need to hold out on for the time being. Lastly, the valuations on these companies are extremely alarming: Canopy is a hot stock in this space right now; they have a valuation of $10 BILLION, and last year had a revenue income of $77 million on a net loss of $70 million! Perhaps eventually they could be the "Amazon" or "Apple" of the weed space, but as of now it's an enormous risk. There's just too little predictive control I have in this sector at the moment.

4. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,737
    Long hedge $MJ against short tobacco ($MO, $PM, $BTI) if that counts. All on 4/19. Wasn't going to wait that extra day until 4/20.

$MO is about to bite me again at 61, but the other 3 are covering well.

I'm scared of gov't action to get into any one medical cannabis stock.

Bryan James likes this.
  5. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $217
    I own stocks in Aurora (ACB) and Green Organic (TGOD). I have had ACB since it was about $4, I really should have sold when it hit $14, but Im still up. Ive done quite well selling options on it and I think it will still go up. I bought TGOD when it was rumoured ACB was going to buy them, it never happened, but Ive still made some gains on it. I still think there is tonnes of room to grow, at least with the big players. It might be too late in the game for any up and comers though.

6. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $177,807
  7. topherea

topherea Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,956
    A buddy of mine said he put $20k into this industry and turned it into $250k and then recommended this list of Canadian companies:
    SPLIF

MGCLF

ACBFF

APHQF

OGRMF

TWMJF

CGC

FUAPF

Some are penny, most are pink sheet. One or two I believe got placed on the Nasdaq.

Carlitos and Vigilante like this.
  8. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $574
    I only own AC8 ASX listed.

9. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $177,807
  10. Timmy1990

Timmy1990 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $574
  11. Carlitos

Carlitos Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $400
    This is a solid list, I am also an investor in ACBFF. What platform is best to invest in pinksheet stocks? Also Mexico is looking to legalize Marijuana like Canada did, and it will be big when they do legalize it.

12. mom

mom Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $151
    TLRY and CGC were the two big runners....but they are done now.

13. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke ARRIVE. RAISE HELL. LEAVE. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,113
  14. Private Witt

Private Witt Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $963
    CBD just entered my radar this weekend. I have a project in the cannabis industry up in Seattle and recently went to Oklahoma City for a one day pre-event for next year's Oklahoma Hemp Fest. I was stunned by the development of the CBD market in Oklahoma, Florida and other places. I decided it is time to branch out a bit and expand my media coverage into CBD and very excited about the learning process.

I was really happy I went to this event as was very interesting to see local Oklahomians giddy about what is happening in the state and the upcoming medical launch in early 2019.

15. Mazzolini

Mazzolini New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Why not apply for a legal growing operation and try to grow yourself. In some states you can have 36 plants. Then maybe automate it and sell it as a service to others

16. theresgot2bemore

theresgot2bemore Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $226
  17. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,901
  18. theresgot2bemore

theresgot2bemore Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $226
    Doesn't surprise me at all. The linked article MW has definitely brings the full scope of the situation in view. Those investors will make quite an impact and spur the push for legalization here in the U.S.

I don't believe we are so safe here in the U.S. either. If you're a civilian there may not be much that can be done to you so your money and status may be safe for now (Wrigley heir & Jimmy Buffet for example). However if you are working for the gov or some sort of contract that cannot even be linked to MJ then it also affects you here.

19. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,901
    ApparentHorizon and Private Witt like this.
  20. theresgot2bemore

Rep Bank:
    $226
    Bloomberg has Coca Cola getting in on the market with Aurora (ACB:CN)

21. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,901
    Admin Post
    Holy sh*t, and today it (TLRY) is up another 45%, $225 as I post...

A $25,000 investment back when it was $25 is now worth $225,000.

Millionaires are being made, assuming they sell somewhere before it pulls back...

topherea likes this.
  22. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,901
    Admin Post
    Stock halted for trading multiple times today (5 freaking times!) ... hit a high of 300. :oops:

23. rootexcess

rootexcess PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $1
    Legal cultivation has extremely high overhead and startup costs and it can take a long time to start getting returns. That's assuming everything was plug and play and that's just simply not usually the case. Expenses can stack up quickly in cannabis. Starting any kind of large scale production facility comes with many complexities and nuances. As far as 36 plants, that's not going to make a very good revenue stream. That is an extremely limited plant count.

I would start looking into ancillary markets as well, particularly processing/packaging, extraction and lab equipment. This is where your money is going to be moving forward. As the legal markets stabilize you will see price per unit become competitive and inevitably drop. Still plenty of money to be had by all, but the cannabis black market pricing model is on borrowed time.