The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing Agency - put prices or not

Marketing, social media, advertising

michas2211

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 27, 2019
Hi!

This is my first post and I have short question for you :)

I opened marketing agency which is creating websites, SEO etc and I have importand question---> should I put prices for it or no?
For example I have two types of website which I offer-- > "One Page Website" and "E-commerce Website". I put informations what each one contain but I am not sure if I should put prices for it? Like "One Page Website price from $xxx"? Or should it be some kind of "mystery? I see two pluses when I put price like this--> I will get rid of uncomfortable clients at the begining and can get some who will think "Oh I dont have to send email, I see what prices this agency offer, I will contact with them maybe I will get this price where they start".
Or better option is not to show prices and waiting for clients e-mails/calls?

Waiting for yout reply, thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Do you have any traffic to your website? If no, then this is just a distraction. If yes, then start by testing it. Do it 1 way for a while and see what happens, then do it the other way.

You're gonna have to be focused on outbound marketing for quite some time before the website bears any real fruit. You can't just slap up your own website and then expect the calls to roll in.

Also, slap up an intro thread if you haven't already.

michas2211

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 27, 2019
Do you have any traffic to your website? If no, then this is just a distraction. If yes, then start by testing it. Do it 1 way for a while and see what happens, then do it the other way.

You're gonna have to be focused on outbound marketing for quite some time before the website bears any real fruit. You can't just slap up your own website and then expect the calls to roll in.

Also, slap up an intro thread if you haven't already.

Hi thanks for reply :)
Month ago we started SEO campaign which should has results really soon and should last 3 months at totall to see full results, that means I will be visible at first page for some keywords. It means that I have some time to prepare everything carefully, that's why I asked about it because I thought that someone has experience about that :)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi!

I opened marketing agency which is creating websites, SEO etc and I have importand question---> should I put prices for it or no?
For example I have two types of website which I offer-- > "One Page Website" and "E-commerce Website". I put informations what each one contain but I am not sure if I should put prices for it? Like "One Page Website price from $xxx"? Or should it be some kind of "mystery? I see two pluses when I put price like this--> I will get rid of uncomfortable clients at the begining and can get some who will think "Oh I dont have to send email, I see what prices this agency offer, I will contact with them maybe I will get this price where they start".

Depends on what you offer exactly.
When you say creating website, SEO and marketing, what do you mean?
Will it be a one time service, or does the service come with support?
Is the "One Page Website" something that you can do in roughly the same amount of time each time you make it or does it depend on the client?
Generally you want to have prices for a fixed service, or a fixed product-service hybrid.
If your service is loose, then go without prices.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Is a fixed price part of your USP? If it were between you and another agency, would you be cheaper?

By listing prices you are conveying the message that price is important. Is that what you want to do?

In my agency, I charge more than most of my competitors, so I don't list prices. I talk a lot about results and pain points. I want visitors to want what I sell before they know how much it costs.

Even if I did want to list a price, it would only be a range because each project is different in my agency. Some clients need a low cost solution while other clients need a customized, full-service solution. It's hard to put a price on it without knowing all the details.

So, like Alex said, it depends on what you're selling. When in doubt, I say no because if people see the price on the website, they have less reason to talk to you, therefore you have less chance to sell your services.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Hi!

Not putting prices suggests exclusivity. We don't have prices at my agency, since we tailor our services for whatever the customer needs. This means that we can't display prices - we have to talk to the client, and see what we can do for them, and then we offer the price.

Typically, if you're going to sell high-ticket marketing services, you should not display prices.

If, on the other hand, you're looking to sell productized services and make up for the lower prices in terms of volume, then by all means display them. But if you display prices, you want to make sure that the offer is very clear, and the client is very clear as to what they will get, how it will be done, and how it gets delivered to them.

elina_nazarova

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 23, 2019
Ukraine
Hi!

As a client I always prefer companies that show prices. I feel like they don't have anything to disguise and trust them more. Moreover, I am that kind of person that doesn't like unnecessary moves, like contacting and asking something that could be visible from the start.

michas2211

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 27, 2019
Depends on what you offer exactly.
When you say creating website, SEO and marketing, what do you mean?
Will it be a one time service, or does the service come with support?
Is the "One Page Website" something that you can do in roughly the same amount of time each time you make it or does it depend on the client?
Generally you want to have prices for a fixed service, or a fixed product-service hybrid.
If your service is loose, then go without prices.

For example when I am talking about creating websites I mean that my agency can create One Page Website, E-Commerce webiste etc. That's mean I could put for example "One Page website" price starts from $500. "E-commerce webiste" price starts from $2000 etc. I could inform client what he will get in standard service like 12 months warranty etc but I know that every projects will diffrent, thats why price is only start and can increase. In my opinion that can attract attention but if client will need more complicated webiste, price will be higher. That's why I am asking you to know if I think properly :)

Is a fixed price part of your USP? If it were between you and another agency, would you be cheaper?

By listing prices you are conveying the message that price is important. Is that what you want to do?

In my agency, I charge more than most of my competitors, so I don't list prices. I talk a lot about results and pain points. I want visitors to want what I sell before they know how much it costs.

Even if I did want to list a price, it would only be a range because each project is different in my agency. Some clients need a low cost solution while other clients need a customized, full-service solution. It's hard to put a price on it without knowing all the details.

So, like Alex said, it depends on what you're selling. When in doubt, I say no because if people see the price on the website, they have less reason to talk to you, therefore you have less chance to sell your services.

Yes I understand you. As I told my prices need only to attract client. So if someone need very simple website, he will know what price I can offer him, without sending me message for ask so it can attract him. But I am worring that when I put price like "starts from $500" I will lost chance to be a "loose agency" and for me it looks less proffesional but I am not sure :/

Not putting prices suggests exclusivity. We don't have prices at my agency, since we tailor our services for whatever the customer needs. This means that we can't display prices - we have to talk to the client, and see what we can do for them, and then we offer the price.

Typically, if you're going to sell high-ticket marketing services, you should not display prices.

If, on the other hand, you're looking to sell productized services and make up for the lower prices in terms of volume, then by all means display them. But if you display prices, you want to make sure that the offer is very clear, and the client is very clear as to what they will get, how it will be done, and how it gets delivered to them.

Thanks for message, I think I answer for your post above :)

As a client I always prefer companies that show prices. I feel like they don't have anything to disguise and trust them more. Moreover, I am that kind of person that doesn't like unnecessary moves, like contacting and asking something that could be visible from the start.

I think similary. Question is if we are we a minority or majority? Can price attract us or scare us away? :)

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
What approach do you take to sales and onboarding?

Do you ask about their problems and create a custom solution, or do you just create the same kind of website every time?

You first need to decide if you are offering a productised service or something different every time.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I will get rid of uncomfortable clients at the begining and can get some who will think "Oh I dont have to send email, I see what prices this agency offer, I will contact with them maybe I will get this price where they start".

A lot of agencies screen low-quality clients by including ranges in their contact forms e.g.

You could do something to that effect.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW

I am 2-fold on this. On normal day-to-day things I am this way 110%. But if I want something done to perfection or something is really important, I break down and contact companies that make you jump through hoops. I do totally understand why they do it but I hate not being able to see a price if I'm just wanting a round-about-general price.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I am 2-fold on this. On normal day-to-day things I am this way 110%. But if I want something done to perfection or something is really important, I break down and contact companies that make you jump through hoops. I do totally understand why they do it but I hate not being able to see a price if I'm just wanting a round-about-general price.

With websites you can't offer a perfect solution until you know a lot about the company and their goals. If you see a price before someone knows the details then it doesn't mean anything and it moves the conversation towards price way before its time.

I see this on Upwork every day. People post a job description like:

"Need SEO for gun company. Please include detailed proposal with price."

Anyone that gives a price is just selling a service, not a solution.

If I'm buying a basketball, then hell ya tell me how much so I can get on my way.

elina_nazarova

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 23, 2019
Ukraine
For example when I am talking about creating websites I mean that my agency can create One Page Website, E-Commerce webiste etc. That's mean I could put for example "One Page website" price starts from $500. "E-commerce webiste" price starts from $2000 etc. I could inform client what he will get in standard service like 12 months warranty etc but I know that every projects will diffrent, thats why price is only start and can increase. In my opinion that can attract attention but if client will need more complicated webiste, price will be higher. That's why I am asking you to know if I think properly :)

Yes I understand you. As I told my prices need only to attract client. So if someone need very simple website, he will know what price I can offer him, without sending me message for ask so it can attract him. But I am worring that when I put price like "starts from $500" I will lost chance to be a "loose agency" and for me it looks less proffesional but I am not sure :/

Thanks for message, I think I answer for your post above :)

I think similary. Question is if we are we a minority or majority? Can price attract us or scare us away? :)

the point is, a client will get to know the price sooner or later anyway. They can't buy without knowing the price. So, why postpone and evoke negative feelings in potential clients? :)

michas2211

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 27, 2019
Thank all of you for help.

I think all of you have right.

Question is what is gold solution.

My services have starting prices, what in my opinion show client what he can expect. He knows that One Page Website for example starting at $500 and if he need very simple website, he knows that he will pay something around $500. He can decide if it is too much and dont waste my and his time for emails.

But I agree @GoodluckChuck, despite this I have to focus on solution, not only price, so price can attract but shouldnt be first point of our conversation. If he will start conversation with me, I need to give him everything he want, advise him what will be the best, what solutions should we use and only after that give the price (even it is higher than the initial one) :)

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
the point is, a client will get to know the price sooner or later anyway. They can't buy without knowing the price. So, why postpone and evoke negative feelings in potential clients? :)
Because you cant price what you dont know.
Thats just the nature of the pure services(productised services are a different thing) in IT sector.
You need to know what the client wants first, then you calculate the price.

elina_nazarova

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 23, 2019
Ukraine
Because you cant price what you dont know.
Thats just the nature of the pure services(productised services are a different thing) in IT sector.
You need to know what the client wants first, then you calculate the price.

I totally agree. But there are hourly rates, for instance... Like say, starting from $** per hour.
Anyway, I wasn't talking about IT sector.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
When I see these type of B2B products or services (SASS etc.), and I don't see any pricing, and all I see instead are "Contact us for a free demo" and "Our sales reps will contact you", I immediately know that it's going to be extremely expensive as F*ck with no exceptions, and I immediately Ctrl + F4 on my Chrome browser.

It depends on what customers you're looking to attract. If it's those guys where money is not an issue for them, then don't put.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
It's kind of like going to a plumbers website and wanting to see how much plumbing costs....

How can they know the price before they see your house and learn from you what the problem is?

If you want to buy pipes, go to Home Depot.

If you want a generic website that will do nothing for your business, go pay web.com $99/mo.

If you want a custom solution, you have to find an expert and yes, it will probably be expensive because great results cost money.

It blows my mind when I talk to people that want to invest $500 and see a ROI of $500,000. If that were easily done then everyone would do it and the price would go up. This is exactly what happened with AdWords.

You used to be able to run ads for super cheap and make a shit load of money but now the bid prices have risen to balance the equation.

Back to then topic, showing prices. If you can show prices, you should. With websites for businesses, you really can't unless it's productized, meaning you have a special solution for a special situation and that's what you sell.

An example is websites for plumbers. If that's all you do, then it makes sense to have a standard price for the standard offering that will work for most plumbers. You'll still be competing on price a lot of the times which is what a lot of folks want to avoid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.