The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Market Research

onmyway

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2010
VA
How do I proceed to research a market before starting or buying a business? What are some effective ways? Thanks:coffee:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Speak with the business owners, customers, suppliers, and potential competitions, substitute or complementary businesses.

The business owners have experience and insight in their industry that outsiders just can't see, their outlooks for their industry is based more than on CNN.

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
Make sure you get to see their accounting. What did they make? Did they have a loss for the year. Base some of what you pay on the revenue for that business. If they have experienced a loss every year you should not be paying full value. Its kind of like buying real estate. You pay them for what they are making currently, now what they think they should make.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Really need more details to offer advice that isn't around what you'd get from a Fortune Cookie here.

Describe your plan with as much detail as you are comfortable with....

BTW: the secrecy question has been floating around this week. The fact is that if most of us laid out every detail of what we plan to do it wouldnt hurt anything, the hardest ingredient to find is follow thru

onmyway

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2010
VA
Well I was thinking about starting or buying an internet business. I wanted to know how could I tell if the market is good generally speaking. If I decide to go the route of buying an internet business, what type of questions do I ask during the due diligence process?

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
That's the detail we needed.

There are a LOT of folks here who have bought, sold and started successful ones.

What kind of income generation are we talking about? Are we thinking click and mortar store here or more virtual income from advertising (ie, traffic) or affiliate marketing...? drill down a bit.

onmyway

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 18, 2010
VA
Well I'm open minded to all three lol. If I had to I would put it in this order 1. Affiliate marketing 2. Click and Mortar 3. Advertising etc

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Ok affiliate marketers, there are about a dozen at least on here... why don't you guys start?

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
Will organize a few thoughts on click and mortar later. Unfortunately I have to use all three brain cells on some work work this afternoon but I will come back to this thread after the affiliate marketing geniuses advise...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.