The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mario Williams in his lambo (The negative part about being rich)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
In my field, (real estate) when you see a young person pull up with a shiny expensive car it means they are leveraged to the hilt and are going to struggle to acquire the property.

If they drive up in an older car they probably have a nice chunk of $$$$ to put down and reasonable debt.

Reminds me of the time we were signing the docs for a RE deal ($1.5M).

Guy from the bank drives up in a beautiful newer BMW (no, not a 3 series). He's prolly wearing over $1000 in clothes.

My wife and I pull up in our Excursion (or was it my old Mustang convertible? can't remember). We sign the docs on the back trunk of the guy's beemer.

I was wearing shorts and a Mickey Mouse T shirt.

He drove away in his leased BMW.

And we drove away with over a million dollars of his bank's money.

What you drive --or wear-- doesn't necessarily show what you're worth.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Exactly Russ, the people I do deals with don't really care what I drive, since I bring the checkbook to the table.

He who has the checkbook can drive and wear whatever they damn well please.

Cars really don't impress me anymore, anyone can lease a BMW for $400 a month, or a 911 for $1k. Big deal. Those same people can't put together $1m to build some condo's, so they are broke in my view.

One thing I noticed is that a few years ago when I couldn't afford jack I wanted all these nice cars. I'd drool over them and swore to myself I would buy them as soon as I had the money. Now that I have or will soon have the money I'm finding I really don't want to buy them. Maybe I'm strange but I would have a lot more fun getting into another real estate deal with $200k than buying a Ferrari. I'd much rather buy a Ford F550 with a dump body than a new S5 etc.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
Ok this is weird but I imagined this scenario in my head.

--A guy pulls up on his Accord, he is young and he gives me a lecture about investing. In my case, since this guy doesnt have a sports car and doesnt look the part then I would not listen to his advice seriously.

--A guy pulls up on his Gallardo and he is young and he gives me a lecture about investing, then I would be getting some paper and writing down word for word what he says and taking every advice like if it was from a saint.

So I guess the presence of a sports car can give you the extra edge or make you taken more serious

You might be passing up the Buffets of the world to invest with the Madoffs.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Maybe I'm strange but I would have a lot more fun getting into another real estate deal with $200k than buying a Ferrari. I'd much rather buy a Ford F550 with a dump body than a new S5 etc.
Even though I'm still dirt poor, I resonate with this - making money makes me feel better than buying stuff

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Even though I'm still dirt poor, I resonate with this - making money makes me feel better than buying stuff

Yes but there comes a point when it does not matter.. That is what most people never realize.(not saying you).

I hear it all the time, I would never buy a Ferrari, but once you reach that point, you will, cause you can't take the money with you. Everything in life is about the experience. Not the bank account.

BTW: Once you stop caring about making money, you start making money.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

So true...

Happens to me all the time. I just want to live a simple life and chill all day and somehow I keep making more money the more I don't care.

People never believe this but here is an example:

Customer is upset and sad because an important order was on the verge of not happening not due to my fault. If I cared about money and my bottom line, I'd say there's nothing I can do for you, sorry UPS just messed up and rerouted your package to the wrong city. But instead, I'm say f*ck it, I'll ship another to you overnight at $110 my cost so you get your order and deal with UPS later. I know that UPS won't pay me back for the extra package I'm shipping.

My bottom line goes from +$50 to -$60 in a second.

Two weeks later, lady calls and says she told her friends about what I did and I get more orders totaling $500+ profit.

Mo money Mo money Mo Money :)

Seriously, just stop caring!

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Two weeks later, lady calls and says she told her friends about what I did and I get more orders totaling $500+ profit.

Mo money Mo money Mo Money

Seriously, just stop caring!

Thats Sucs
Supreme Unexpected Customer Service

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thats Sucs
Supreme Unexpected Customer Service

Exactly. But when you only care about the bottom line, profits, you don't want or like doing stuff like this. Sometimes I feel like not doing it. But that's when I catch myself and realize that my business is about making people happy and not making money. But when I focus on making people happy, the money rolls in from unexpected areas. It really does.

Here's another example from just today.

Lady calls, needs a big order by Tuesday. I tell her that 2 day shipping is about $220. She freaks, but she really needs it. I call my supplier, he says that as a favor he'll ship it 2 day to her for the cost of $40 even though it will cost him $150. So he's basically eating $110 on the shipping. I tell him, I can't let him do that, I'll split the $110. He says stop arguing with me and take the deal. So of course I take it. :) Then I call the lady back and tell her I'll ship her 2 day for the cost of ground. She's real happy. I'm happy. Everyone's happy.

Guess what, my supplier is also into making people happy vs. making money, which is why I love working with him. And of course, I am going to try harder to make him more money.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Exactly. But when you only care about the bottom line, profits, you don't want or like doing stuff like this. Sometimes I feel like not doing it. But that's when I catch myself and realize that my business is about making people happy and not making money. But when I focus on making people happy, the money rolls in from unexpected areas. It really does.

Here's another example from just today.

Lady calls, needs a big order by Tuesday. I tell her that 2 day shipping is about $220. She freaks, but she really needs it. I call my supplier, he says that as a favor he'll ship it 2 day to her for the cost of $40 even though it will cost him $150. So he's basically eating $110 on the shipping. I tell him, I can't let him do that, I'll split the $110. He says stop arguing with me and take the deal. So of course I take it. :) Then I call the lady back and tell her I'll ship her 2 day for the cost of ground. She's real happy. I'm happy. Everyone's happy.

Guess what, my supplier is also into making people happy vs. making money, which is why I love working with him. And of course, I am going to try harder to make him more money.

Speed +++

Reminds me of an experience I had with a company today, but it was negative instead because clearly they don't believe in SUCS.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yes but there comes a point when it does not matter.. That is what most people never realize.(not saying you).

I hear it all the time, I would never buy a Ferrari, but once you reach that point, you will, cause you can't take the money with you. Everything in life is about the experience. Not the bank account.

Quite possible true, I did notice that when I stopped giving a crap the deals and cash to fund them came flowing in. Also my customers seem to be happy because I cater to them simply because I want them to be happy and hate complaining, *(^)* do I hate complaining.

Your right I probably will eventually, but I need to wait a bit to get past the feeling guilty part. I really, really do like the new 5 series.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.