The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Manufacturing a product

Idea threads

mrskib

PARKED
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2024
How do you manufacture a product? Say I've got an idea for a physical product, but after I run a search on Google all I can find are OTHERS' businesses offering to do that, not a manufacturer. Even if I purchase from those websites it is unsustainable as I am reselling their products, not CREATING them. Is this an example of an idea that is impossible to execute?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Dec 5, 2020
Go to alibaba and find suppliers in your niche.

Make a document with all the relevant info they should need to understand your thoughts.

Draw the product on a piece of paper. As detailed as possible. So include extra drawings with measurements and materials etc. Make it so that even a stupid kid could understand.

Ask them if they can make it.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
How do you manufacture a product? Say I've got an idea for a physical product, but after I run a search on Google all I can find are OTHERS' businesses offering to do that, not a manufacturer. Even if I purchase from those websites it is unsustainable as I am reselling their products, not CREATING them. Is this an example of an idea that is impossible to execute?

Suppose you want to manufacture a simple product like a "spoon" for instance.

You will require a storage space to hold raw materials, usually steel sheets of size 1250 mm x 2500 mm, especially in the case of this product.

Then you will require a shearing machine that will cut the large sheet of steel into smaller parts.

Then the spoon shapes will be cut out of smaller segments of steel sheets with the help of the die-punch machine, along with the help of cutting dies!

Then they will go through the stamping process and you will require a stamping machine!

Then comes the use of a polishing machine, usually an array of belt grinders with different belts running from coarse to finest grain size .. and the spoons will go through each of them and end up with shiny steel spoons.

Now you will need a chemical washer to wash the freshly manufactured spoons for the "deliver ready" cleanliness!

Then you will need a packing machine.

1x Shearing machine
1x Die punch machine
1x Stamping machine
4x Belt Grinders minimum
1x washer

along with material movement arrangement/equipment

and you will need trained operators to run these machines

and above all, you will require a Piece of Land to set up the whole 'unit', along with government licenses and approvals concerning soil, air, and water pollution!

This whole setup will work like a single machine and can easily produce up to 5k spoons/day! For this, you will need heavy investments and a solid distribution network.

With the same setup, you can manufacture other small cutlery items such as forks, bowls, metal cases, some machinery parts, some automotive parts, etc...

This was an example on how spoons are manufactured.

Or, if you don't want to step into this heavy mess, you can buy parts for your products and have only an assembly unit.

My 2 cents as a manufacturer!

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
Go to alibaba and find suppliers in your niche.

Make a document with all the relevant info they should need to understand your thoughts.

Draw the product on a piece of paper. As detailed as possible. So include extra drawings with measurements and materials etc. Make it so that even a stupid kid could understand.

Ask them if they can make it.

and hope they will understand your requirements from the Chinese perspective!

A manufacturer will never entertain your product drawn on a piece of paper. That is where people like @EngineerThis come in handy. We need technical drawings and then the manufacturer is responsible for manufacturing the product within the tolerances provided in the technical drawings.

Once the lot is ready, you're responsible for picking it up, whether you like it or not.

A good manufacturer will not even have the time to entertain the drawings on paper in the first place!

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Dec 5, 2020
and hope they will understand your requirements from the Chinese perspective!

A manufacturer will never entertain your product drawn on a piece of paper. That is where people like @EngineerThis come in handy. We need technical drawings and then the manufacturer is responsible for manufacturing the product within the tolerances provided in the technical drawings.

Once the lot is ready, you're responsible for picking it up, whether you like it or not.

A good manufacturer will not even have the time to entertain the drawings on paper in the first place!
There are steps after my first post.

With a drawing any manufacturer should be able to asses whether it is a go or no go.

OP should take action and not go into analysis paralysis. Thats why I said it so simple.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023
With a drawing any manufacturer should be able to asses whether it is a go or no go.

Please don't waste the poor manufacturer's time.

Regards!

mrskib

PARKED
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2024
what if I can't find a manufacturer or make it myself

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
what if I can't find a manufacturer or make it myself
Then your not cut out for this line of work.

This forum is filled will incredible amounts of information. You have a threads from @Walter Hay on sourcing and you have people like @EngineerThis who help with 3D rendering and tips on the manufacturing process.

You need to start reading the threads hear, as you clearly have not done any research. Rather than ask a bunch of questions that have been asked countless times. Use the search function and start doing deep dives in the 10+ years worth of material that has already been written since this forum has started.

Also, I suggested, in a previous thread you started, you attend the Inventors Meetup earlier today. I didn't see you there. If you are serious about any of this, you have to start taking the process seriously.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.