The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Manufacturers for food products in the USA?

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
HI,

So I am thinking of a food product idea but I want all the ingredients sourced in the USA. Does anyone know of manufacturers that I could give my formula to that could create this product?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I am working on a food product...what I did is googled co-packers for my state, found a directory, and messaged every single one of them to see if they could do my product and I think I've found a perfect fit.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
give my formula to that could create this product?

Thanks

I really hope you’re not just “giving your formula” to every cute copacker that catches your eye.

NDA the hell out of it. Make sure your copacker DOES NOT do private label either. Because they could always turn around and sell it themselves.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I just so happen to have made a nifty guide for this

Food entrepreneurship startup guide

And @racyred09 i didn’t know you were in the food biz too. I’m not alone!!

It's a stretch to say I'm "in" the biz, but I'm starting! I have been in a different industry until now.

Thanks for the guide- that was really helpful! Now I am a bit worried about the co-packer I've settled on because they do have their own brand, however they assured me it won't be an issue and we will sign a mutual NDA (which I took to mean also a non-compete agreement). Do you think it's possible to protect oneself adequately from having your co-packer compete with you if your recipe proves a success? I would appreciate your advice (and I hope OP doesn't mind me asking on his thread- can take it offline if you'd like)!

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
It's a stretch to say I'm "in" the biz, but I'm starting! I have been in a different industry until now.

Thanks for the guide- that was really helpful! Now I am a bit worried about the co-packer I've settled on because they do have their own brand, however they assured me it won't be an issue and we will sign a mutual NDA (which I took to mean also a non-compete agreement). Do you think it's possible to protect oneself adequately from having your co-packer compete with you if your recipe proves a success? I would appreciate your advice (and I hope OP doesn't mind me asking on his thread- can take it offline if you'd like)!

I’ll tag @G-Man in here to get his input too.

NDA is great, but check the wording, because most NDA’s I’ve seen say the recipe is confidential, but if they run private label, make sure that’s in there, in writing.

Another thing to check is that they won’t use your tricks for other clients. For example, I use a pretty cool flavor hack because my products focus on a “free from” diet. If they passed that on to a competitor, I’d be pissed.

If you have any other questions, feel free to either put them here, on my food Startup thread of shoot me a PM!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
You're going to need more than a strongly worded NDA. The co-manufacturing agreement should specifically state that they can't manufacture the product for themselves or other customers. There are lawyers that doing nothing but food manufacturing contracts. It's worth the time to find one. That said, here's a few things to keep in mind:
  • Most (not all co-packers) aren't actively looking to rip you off. They're happy to just do what they do.
  • Even with an honest co-packer and good contract, take steps to make it not easy for people to reverse engineer the supply chain. Example: The key ingredient in our product is the seasoning, so we buy it elsewhere and have it shipped to them. They're missing the last 10% of the formulation to make the product. Again, not impossible for someone to piece together, but unlikely, as it would take multiple bad faith actors

Do you think it's possible to protect oneself adequately from having your co-packer compete with you if your recipe proves a success?

Your product is more than a recipe. If someone can compete with you by just ripping off the recipe, you're not creating a true value added brand. Think about it this way: Anybody can throw sugar in a can of fizzy chemical water, but you'd never consider buying it. You buy Coke. That's a brand that's more than the recipe. Think about the full experience and feeling you're offering the customer. That's the hardest thing to knock off.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I’ll tag @G-Man in here to get his input too.

NDA is great, but check the wording, because most NDA’s I’ve seen say the recipe is confidential, but if they run private label, make sure that’s in there, in writing.

Another thing to check is that they won’t use your tricks for other clients. For example, I use a pretty cool flavor hack because my products focus on a “free from” diet. If they passed that on to a competitor, I’d be pissed.

If you have any other questions, feel free to either put them here, on my food Startup thread of shoot me a PM!

Thank you so much, Scot!

You're going to need more than a strongly worded NDA. The co-manufacturing agreement should specifically state that they can't manufacture the product for themselves or other customers. There are lawyers that doing nothing but food manufacturing contracts. It's worth the time to find one. That said, here's a few things to keep in mind:
  • Most (not all co-packers) aren't actively looking to rip you off. They're happy to just do what they do.
  • Even with an honest co-packer and good contract, take steps to make it not easy for people to reverse engineer the supply chain. Example: The key ingredient in our product is the seasoning, so we buy it elsewhere and have it shipped to them. They're missing the last 10% of the formulation to make the product. Again, not impossible for someone to piece together, but unlikely, as it would take multiple bad faith actors

Your product is more than a recipe. If someone can compete with you by just ripping off the recipe, you're not creating a true value added brand. Think about it this way: Anybody can throw sugar in a can of fizzy chemical water, but you'd never consider buying it. You buy Coke. That's a brand that's more than the recipe. Think about the full experience and feeling you're offering the customer. That's the hardest thing to knock off.

Thank you, G-Man! You're absolutely right, and that's a great thing for me to remember going forward- how important the brand/marketing is. The product is in fact something that has not been commercialized yet for reasons unbeknownst to me although almost every foodie I know makes it in their own kitchen, but I am certain once people see me start there will be copycats. So I had better stay two steps ahead by creating a solid brand. I will look into a lawyer. Thanks for your help!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.