The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.
Topics relating to managing people and relationships

SRBobcat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 8, 2024
I own a 15 year old small business with approximately 4MM in revenue (formerly $5MM just two years ago). We are in the home services and construction subcontracting business. We have approx 25 employees including the two owner partners. We have been in hopes of selling the business in the next 5 years (likely, but not definitely, into and ESOP). In the last year, one of our main revenue generating markets (though lowest margin, difficult to profit) has almost dried up. We're likely to finish this fiscal year a fair bit under $4MM in revenue. Our main problem is not the slowing of our one market... it's actually a few bigger problems:
1. Failure of management: My business partner and I have been almost absentee from a business management standpoint. We both focus much more on sales and are almost never in our office.
2. High overhead: We have 14 people in non income producing overhead positions (2 are parttime)... We are management and administration heavy, yet we have no one driving the ship. Very micro task involved, very little macro level management.
3. High Prices: Directly related to Problem #2, we have very high prices which makes sales and profitability difficult. This should be easy to fix, except for Problem #1.
4. Poor employee performance: See Problem #1. Also, it's very difficult to hire employees at all, much less quality employees. We pay much better than industry average with better than normal benefits, yet still can't hire. We have a full time HR person, though she is not great at hiring/finding employees... Full time HR translates more to "someone who posts job ads when I tell her to". She's very helpful as an assistant, and as with most employees she wears multiple hats... but having a dedicated person does not translate into being good at finding new employees unfortunately. Many of our employees (both field based and management) are simply comfortable in their jobs, not self motivated, not fearful of being replaced and not motivated to improve themselves or the business..."the paychecks just keep coming so why make more effort?" is the general demeanor. This seems a simple thing to fix with some firing and replacement of employees...but the reality of hiring makes it not so simple.

My plans for fixing all of this begins at the top. We need to do one of two things:
1. Owner's re-engage in day to day business management: We both hate it...and are not business managers...but we're better than no-one (which is who we have now). I'm willing to do this, I seriously doubt my partner will be. I can do it without him...but I can't make solo decisions as we don't have a CEO position for either of us...it's been 15 years of joint decisions. I can't make him come in to the office, and it makes me resentful if I have to do it all by myself while we get equal pay. He also is not going to agree to unequal pay. This is the downside to equal partnerships (we're 50/50 of an S-corp).
2. I'm going to propose that we hire a General Manager or CEO from outside. There are multiple difficulties with this...but it may still be the better decision. And... this possibility is the reason for my post here. I know NOTHING about hiring a competent person to take over running this business, nor what it would cost. We are a small business, so we don't have large money (especially right now) to pay a CEO role... if the two owners would take a 50k paycut (we make 150 plus), we could probably pay $125k and then have some incentives (possibly future ownership stake also...though that makes the hopes of ESOP more difficult). The "low" pay for someone capable is why I used both titles, "General Manager" and "CEO"... one title (in my opinion) simply comes with a higher price tag for essentially the same role. We would need someone who can manage all the overhead positions in the company and make the changes/improvements we need.

Does anyone with real experience in this have any thoughts on how (if we choose this route) we would go about hiring someone for this role, where we look, what the realist cost would be in a mid-market area (not an expensive city...but still a city)... or if this is even a reasonable / doable approach to fixing the business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Kak @Antifragile are probably two of the better guys here for management/leadership/employee issues.

My business partner and I have been almost absentee from a business management standpoint. We both focus much more on sales and are almost never in our office.

This is where I see the problem.

Leading by example is not a possibility because you are not there.

As I like to say, if you want things done right, do it yourself.

And then train those people to do it like yourself.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
4. Poor employee performance: See Problem #1. Also, it's very difficult to hire employees at all, much less quality employees. We pay much better than industry average with better than normal benefits, yet still can't hire. We have a full time HR person, though she is not great at hiring/finding employees... Full time HR translates more to "someone who posts job ads when I tell her to". She's very helpful as an assistant, and as with most employees she wears multiple hats... but having a dedicated person does not translate into being good at finding new employees unfortunately. Many of our employees (both field based and management) are simply comfortable in their jobs, not self motivated, not fearful of being replaced and not motivated to improve themselves or the business..."the paychecks just keep coming so why make more effort?" is the general demeanor. This seems a simple thing to fix with some firing and replacement of employees...but the reality of hiring makes it not so simple.
What do you mean by poor employee performance?

Do they accomplish task in time or not?

Employees do not generally brainstorm ways to improve the business. It’s not quite expected.

Do your employee work overtime?

A small company cannot afford a 9-6 culture. That’s a luxury of the giant companies.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Cancel anytime

$7 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 44% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Find valued content: Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Promote your biz: Reply signatures.
  • Crush Goals: 30% Off GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Save the best: bookmark/archive ability
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • Crush Goals: 50% Off a GoalSumo.com Subscription

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.