The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making Money with Matlab and Python scripting

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Hi,

I am was thinking of using my programming abilities to do some scripting task. Sadly, when I was looking at freelancer websites there are already very crowded and competitive. So how would you start? How can you get your first client? What do I have to note in regards to taxes and all this stuff?
Greetings Losspost

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JIRS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 1, 2019
St. Petersburg, FL
Welcome to the forum, I am also a newbie here as this is my second post. I've been following a few threads over some months thought. I am also a long time Matlab programmer, but when I left the academic setting (PhD/Postdoc) found myself at odds with Matlab as I didn't want to cough-up the $2,000+ ? for a basic license (I think with the libraries I was used to, it might have been upwards of $8K). The angle I was looking at was in the data-analysis /data-science use of the software. I ended up learning R, but my options with these skills have always been around either:

1. Finding a niche around publicly available data (repackaging the data and selling the products) or,
2. Finding a plain job so I could improve my skills and have a better shot at #1 above.

My thought on freelancing was that if I where to freelance these skills, I would be competing with established programmers from Countries were living is not as expensive (I am in the US).

Around the time I was getting proficient with R (2014 - 6 years ago), I found a job in a pharma CMO, which pays relatively well but consumes your soul. I am still in the industry, but have finally found a bit of stability recently and have sparse time to dedicate to projects, which are more in the physical (as opposed to programming) side for the moment.

I am interested in knowing in what context you learned Matlab and Python ?, where are you geographically ?

Hi,

I am was thinking of using my programming abilities to do some scripting task. Sadly, when I was looking at freelancer websites there are already very crowded and competitive. So how would you start? How can you get your first client? What do I have to note in regards to taxes and all this stuff?
Greetings Losspost

Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If you have the patience to deal with the $10/hr jobs on upwork, etc, you can build up to charging a lot more than that. On Upwork, and probably other sites, once you complete enough jobs and get a high enough score, you're exposed to better clients that pay more.

I don't have the patience for that. Between the $10/hr programmers and the idiot clients that want 'something like AirBNB for $5000,' I just couldn't deal. There was one company - something like $50m/year revenue - that wanted to pay $50k for a software project that would run their entire company. Really. Why in the WORLD would you put that much faith in a development team that only charged $50k for the amount of work involved. Even in India, that is not a lot of money for what they wanted. (I'm familiar with the salaries paid to developers in India.) They were literally risking their company's future on this project. I know of a company in Santa Barbara that did this on a new ERP system (a COTS product that normally worked well). They couldn't process orders for 6 months in any volume, and 500 people lost their jobs. They no longer exist.

What I did instead was learn how to sell. I now have clients that pay me and my overseas programming team to develop solutions to their business problems. (They don't pay me to write code...there's a big difference.)

If you're a phenomenally good developer, you can find companies that will broker your services. TopTal is one, but there are other lesser known ones. Once you do a few jobs, your name will get out there and you'll not have a lack of work.

Losspost

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 6, 2020
Welcome to the forum, I am also a newbie here as this is my second post. I've been following a few threads over some months thought. I am also a long time Matlab programmer, but when I left the academic setting (PhD/Postdoc) found myself at odds with Matlab as I didn't want to cough-up the $2,000+ ? for a basic license (I think with the libraries I was used to, it might have been upwards of $8K). The angle I was looking at was in the data-analysis /data-science use of the software. I ended up learning R, but my options with these skills have always been around either:

1. Finding a niche around publicly available data (repackaging the data and selling the products) or,
2. Finding a plain job so I could improve my skills and have a better shot at #1 above.

My thought on freelancing was that if I where to freelance these skills, I would be competing with established programmers from Countries were living is not as expensive (I am in the US).

Around the time I was getting proficient with R (2014 - 6 years ago), I found a job in a pharma CMO, which pays relatively well but consumes your soul. I am still in the industry, but have finally found a bit of stability recently and have sparse time to dedicate to projects, which are more in the physical (as opposed to programming) side for the moment.

I am interested in knowing in what context you learned Matlab and Python ?, where are you geographically ?
Hi. Geographically I am from Germany. So obviously my living cost is pretty high in comparison to the other freelancers too. I started Matlab in university and python already in high school. I do a lot (actually mostly) programming in my current internship. I have to add, that I don't want to work as a developer fulltime. I am studying electrical engineering and this is still my main focus. I just thought if i could somehow use this skill

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.