The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making meaning and having value

luke111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 23, 2016
New Zealand
Well... This topic has been puzzling me for awhile now and thought I'd bring it up for some more insight about the topic.

I decided in June 2015 that life should not be about living to work, it should be about enjoying life and doing something that you enjoy. Why should I invest most of my time into working and poddering away for somebody else, when there is so many more better paths and opportunities out there to take?

However, back to my original point. What do you think? Do you think it important to make meaning and have value with your projects?

Well... Personally, I do.

I've noticed that a lot of my projects and ideas I've been developing over the last year are just simply numbers. They have no meaning, they have no value. I'm simply utilising money as a tool.

I cannot see how my ideas and projects are creating meaning. Let me share some of them with you.

Process 1: Exchanging $ to take advantage of a 'big dog' petrol station promotion while returning a profit on my investment.

A petrol station was promoting collectible figurines and at the same time, they created a niche market for them. Fuel was a big consumable for me, so I decided it would be a good idea to purchase a bulk of petrol vouchers to acquire these figurines. It was very unlikely these fuel vouchers were going to go unused or expire and the profit greatly surpassed standard bank interest rates. I labelled it as "low risk".

Concept 2: Purchasing damaged and used laptops with intentions to repair and combine parts from other laptops.

One of the most mentally painful approaches I've taken. Some of those things were;

* Trying to sell a big ticket item
* Diagnosing computer issues can be diabolical - these were costing me hours, my hourly rate would soon plummet to $0/hour
* Incorrect product description by the seller - Easy, desribe a broken laptop with faults A, B and don't mention C as that completely devalues the product. Money down the drain, just like that.

Every laptop I encountered was a can of worms, one way or another.

Jimmy-fixing components and hardware to make a laptop functional again. A headache and a half.

Is this creating meaning? You don't really care who buys it, you just want to make your margin.

Idea 3: Importing and re-selling products. Now this idea is a little bit different again. It's been one of the bigger projects; website maintenance, customer support and managing third-party trading sites.

I understand that you can go directly to a manufacturer and buy the same product "for cheap" as some people describe. However, they hand away the insurance you can offer them.

In some ways you are creating value:

* Eliminating risk of dodgy suppliers
* Courier / Overnight shipping services (quicker arrival)
* Cheap as chips postal services (nationwide)
* Product less-likely to be damaged
* Don't have to communicate with somebody using Google Translator / non-English

These 5 factors are some of the benefits you receive by buying off a local supplier. But it does come at a premium rate. Which is one way I can justify selling my products for a more expensive price.

However, still at the end of the day. It's still not creating value, it's just buying and selling. You don't really care much about what you're selling, just as long as it makes money.

These are just some of the projects I've been working on over the last year and they've all taught me many valuable lessons. However, my next idea will be aimed at creating value and having a meaning.

I've share with you my view. What are your thoughts on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Martynas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2016
Well... This topic has been puzzling me for awhile now and thought I'd bring it up for some more insight about the topic.

I decided in June 2015 that life should not be about living to work, it should be about enjoying life and doing something that you enjoy. Why should I invest most of my time into working and poddering away for somebody else, when there is so many more better paths and opportunities out there to take?

However, back to my original point. What do you think? Do you think it important to make meaning and have value with your projects?

Well... Personally, I do.

I've noticed that a lot of my projects and ideas I've been developing over the last year are just simply numbers. They have no meaning, they have no value. I'm simply utilising money as a tool.

I cannot see how my ideas and projects are creating meaning. Let me share some of them with you.

Process 1: Exchanging $ to take advantage of a 'big dog' petrol station promotion while returning a profit on my investment.

A petrol station was promoting collectible figurines and at the same time, they created a niche market for them. Fuel was a big consumable for me, so I decided it would be a good idea to purchase a bulk of petrol vouchers to acquire these figurines. It was very unlikely these fuel vouchers were going to go unused or expire and the profit greatly surpassed standard bank interest rates. I labelled it as "low risk".

Concept 2: Purchasing damaged and used laptops with intentions to repair and combine parts from other laptops.

One of the most mentally painful approaches I've taken. Some of those things were;

* Trying to sell a big ticket item
* Diagnosing computer issues can be diabolical - these were costing me hours, my hourly rate would soon plummet to $0/hour
* Incorrect product description by the seller - Easy, desribe a broken laptop with faults A, B and don't mention C as that completely devalues the product. Money down the drain, just like that.

Every laptop I encountered was a can of worms, one way or another.

Jimmy-fixing components and hardware to make a laptop functional again. A headache and a half.

Is this creating meaning? You don't really care who buys it, you just want to make your margin.

Idea 3: Importing and re-selling products. Now this idea is a little bit different again. It's been one of the bigger projects; website maintenance, customer support and managing third-party trading sites.

I understand that you can go directly to a manufacturer and buy the same product "for cheap" as some people describe. However, they hand away the insurance you can offer them.

In some ways you are creating value:

* Eliminating risk of dodgy suppliers
* Courier / Overnight shipping services (quicker arrival)
* Cheap as chips postal services (nationwide)
* Product less-likely to be damaged
* Don't have to communicate with somebody using Google Translator / non-English

These 5 factors are some of the benefits you receive by buying off a local supplier. But it does come at a premium rate. Which is one way I can justify selling my products for a more expensive price.

However, still at the end of the day. It's still not creating value, it's just buying and selling. You don't really care much about what you're selling, just as long as it makes money.

These are just some of the projects I've been working on over the last year and they've all taught me many valuable lessons. However, my next idea will be aimed at creating value and having a meaning.

I've share with you my view. What are your thoughts on this?
By re-selling products online your biggest added value is convenience, ie to bring the customer as close to his comfort zone as possible when buying something online.

luke111

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Mar 23, 2016
New Zealand
By re-selling products online your biggest added value is convenience, ie to bring the customer as close to his comfort zone as possible when buying something online.

Thanks for your reply. I agree, the convenience you're creating is worth the premium.

I believe in taking care of yourself/your family first (at any reasonable cost), and once you've put yourself in a position where you have the resources to start focusing on doing what you find fulfilling, that's when you focus on that. So, if you're at a point where you're living paycheck to paycheck (or sale to sale), do whatever it takes to build a nest egg (arbitrage, boring work, etc). Then, once you have a cushion and don't have to risk your family not eating or having a roof over their heads, that's when you can start focusing on doing work that you find more personally fulfilling.

Thanks for your reply. Great response! Currently, I'm very comfortable. I have about $150 / week of overhead which gets sucked up in less than a days work. And yes of course, family is very important. Whenever I ask for a favor it always comes with a reward greater than it should be and if they require services, I always over-do them. Whether or not the reward is a box of beers or a bit of cash, it clears my conscious. I have no issue overpaying someone for a good job. It's all just part of how I've been brought up. On the other hand though, my customers / clients are still in my best interest too. I'm about attitude, if you approach me with a great attitude you will benefit a lot more from me. However, if you're a unfriendly, abusive person you will most-likely benefit a lot less from me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.