The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Make a difference

Anything related to matters of the mind

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Here is an inspirational story I found a while back which I have just digged out of my dusty e-library to share with everyone here. The author is unknown which is a real shame, but never the less a very positive message:

Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day. So he began to walk faster to catch up.
As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.

As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"

The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked, why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"

"The sun is up, and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."

"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach, and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said, "It made a difference for that one."

Moral to above:
Inside each and every one of us lies a special gift, a heavenly and divine gift to help others and make a change. No matter how small or big that change is, it is irrelevant, its the heart behind the motive that counts. Once we become aware of that gift, we strengthen our visions for a more peaceful and beautiful future.

Blessings

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

I agree that it is a good message and would like to add that sometimes making a difference means telling it like it is to those who are dreamy and not realistic. Not saying shooting someone's dreams down is a good thing but saying that the reality of a dream many times isn't as obvious to the dreamer as it is to those with some experience with the idea.

A

Anon3587x

I agree that it is a good message and would like to add that sometimes making a difference means telling it like it is to those who are dreamy and not realistic. Not saying shooting someone's dreams down is a good thing but saying that the reality of a dream many times isn't as obvious to the dreamer as it is to those with some experience with the idea.

I disagree

If you feel somebody's dream is not possible and dreamy, the last thing you want to do is tell them to come back to reality and get logical. You most likely disagree with their thoughts because you feel it is something you are unable to accomplish yourself, therefore they wouldn't be able to accomplish it either.

A life wasted pursuing a dream, is not a life wasted at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest3722A

You most likely disagree with their thoughts because you feel it is something you are unable to accomplish yourself, therefore they wouldn't be able to accomplish it either.

I was waiting for this statement, and I somehow had a feeling you'd be the one to say it!

I'm not saying to instill someone's unproven beliefs on someone else. What I am saying though is if someone wants to be successful at a dream, the odds of achieving the dream are much higher if the person does what others who have actually succeeded with the dream have done.

An example would be with say a saturated market like music. (yes the 800 pound gorilla just stepped into the room!)

But with music, your odds of making it are somewhat equal to winning the lottery if you're not pushing pushing pushing, & rehearsing constantly and making contacts and learning the tricks or paths that others have used. Right now during this very moment there are hundreds of thousands of musicians busting their asses rehearsing, making contacts, packing up to play shows and getting their cd's on someone's desk which gets piled up with the other 500 or so cds the big dog just got that week. Do you really think the big dog is going to listen to all of these, week after week after week?

I have friends who are scouts for Sony Atlantic and they tell me this stuff all the time. I've had scouts for other labels rent rooms from me to rehearse people and groups that I still haven't heard on air to this day.

There's a reality check in here and that reality check is that if someone wants to follow this type of path, going at it blind and without a proven way is again, like playing the lottery.

I'm not saying don't do it but I am suggesting step in line and the wise one'S' are the ones who follow the proven paths of those who have succeeded in this CURRENT market place.

A

Anon3587x

I'm not saying to instill someone's unproven beliefs on someone else. What I am saying though is if someone wants to be successful at a dream, the odds of achieving the dream are much higher if the person does what others who have actually succeeded with the dream have done.

There are limitations to that statement.
It is true, but at the same time false.

What works for one person, does not work for everyone, and what is currently working is not necessarily the best way.

By following someone else's advice to closely, you will only be able to complete their level of success. Forge your own way.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Understanding how other people succeed is definitely a good idea, but should you always attempt to emulate it, or simply understand it to apply in your own way? (I believe the latter, but don't have the experience to back it up.)

Scratching around for a record deal like that just isn't in my blood... I don't see any control over my own destiny in that path, albeit I have no doubt there's plenty of opportunity, money and ways to make your own luck within it.

Keep in mind much of the reason I wouldn't care to go the 'normal successful route' is because I have a combination of ego and think that I can be cunning enough to come up with ways to expose my music to the masses. And if not, I'm willing to look at how other people have done it and come up with parallels from there.

If I did music, I'd go straight to the people making media and offer to let them use it, cheap or free. There's always going to be people making machinima out of popular games, games themselves use music, movies are constantly in production... Hmm. There are other things than facebook online that are popular. Partner up with a good flash developer and make a nice video for one of the heavy hitting webcomics, and just keep finding more and more things like that to hit up.
This is cheeky and underhanded; but so many social networks out there and dating sites list 'favorite music' in their profile. I'd setup dummy accounts and list my music in there. Or for a profile just use a line from one of the songs. I'd even go so far as to setup a draw for everyone who lists which of my songs they like best in their profile, and submit the information to a poll. The winner gets interviewed and asked what they like about the song for a nice little framed fan-statement. (Along with their prize of course.)

Alright, I've trimmed out as many tangents and irrelevant things as I can, and it's just getting longer again. But hey, they gave me inspiration for a new post. One last irrelevant thing.

c/` 'Cuz we all just wanna be a big rock stars livin' in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars~ The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap, and we'll stay skinny 'cuz we just wo~on't eat! c/`

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Hey everyone, Im glad this thread has started some kind of discussion, it is always good to see people sharing their perceptions on the world.

I would also like to express my views on this to, so here goes; This world we live in is just like the Matrix, lets take the likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Richard Branson. Imagine how many people mocked these people and their dreams, what would you have said to Richard when he told you he was going to own an island? most would have probably laughed and shrugged it off as some kind of joke or labelled him a looney.

No matter how large or small your dreams, they will happen. Every small step you take, will make a massive difference to how your dreams manifest, but it is a certainty that it will happen.

As for the mention of being heard or promoted, I would like to use Justin Beiber as an example, lol yes not everyones favourite but a great example to use.
This kid had just one video on Youtube which cost not a single dime, yet he was headhunted by the likes of Usher to be signed to his record deal.
He never went out of his way, his passion shined like a star and people were in a sense "magnetically" drawn to him.

I truly believe that your passion is your wealth, find your strengths and your passion, live and breathe every second of your day towards this passion, OCD is a blessing, perfect your art and watch your dreams become a reality.

Stay blessed everyone

G

Guest3722A

Guys, from what I've learned from direct involvement in the industry is that there are several ways to 'make it'. But no matter what, outside of the lottery winner, extended development of talent is a requirement. Nobody is going to pay for something that is so so. You can go to a crackeeoke bar to get so so. Even those with talent who have a rich backer may get an album out, but there is still a system that needs to be followed in order to sell. And then, even if an artist sells, money is not a guarantee.

One way of making it that has proven itself time and time again is first off, practice practice practice and make yourself a badass and then go audition for groups that already have the deal. Chad from the Chili Peppers is a good example of this. So is Sebastian Bach (Canadian, but played the Detroit scene for years). This list is extensive. I mentioned in another thread that one of my drum students auditioned for Black Dalia Murder...He was that good but didn't get the gig. My advice to him was quit doing the bad stuff, and get back on the horse and keep auditioning for majors... Sadly, he couldn't quit with the bad stuff.

Kid Rock was around for years and actually ran a studio called the white room...don't ask... He had built his name since 1990 locally. When he got signed two other groups also got signed by Atlantic. One was Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise and I can't remember the other...neither of these groups made it.

Kid Rock survived because he was able to 'show' the label that he was selling. He did this by recording his album in the white room and then used the money Atlantic gave him for recording to buy up all of his own CDs. Seeing that he was selling, Atlantic put more money into him. What's funny is a good friend of mine, a guy by the name of Spike was one of baddest bassists in Detroit and was asked to join Kid Rock right when Atlantic was sniffin around and unfortunately he declined because his band had a showcase coming up for another label. Who knew?

Eminem I knew NOTHING of and he came outta nowhere! What I can tell you is that to get to the talent level he's at, he definitely payed his dues. On a side note something that was kinda cool is his first house was right around the corner from me and the news use to be out there all the time with his ex and her drug problems and her suicide attempts.

Anyway, then we can look at bands like Sponge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_(band)

Vinnie was the guy who played in several bands and kept at and kept at it. Guarantee you guys heard their songs. He's the singer in a band called Crud right now and I'm not positive but pretty sure he doesn't have alot of money. these guys played in my hall on and off... as did members from Bob Seger, and several other great talents.

Bottom line....practice practice practice practice practice practice and guess what?

More practice practice practice practice practice

Think about it... If someone sucks, are you and hundreds of thousands of others going to buy their albums?

ok I'm done

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Ok, well that is definitely good advice.
And I agree that you can slap on a reality check without shattering dreams. It's very easy to look at someone with the desire but lack of skill and tell them "Sure, you can do it. Listen to me very carefully and don't interrupt. These are the difficulties, these are the proven methods of success, and you are not yet skilled enough. If you turn that desire into dedication, you can earn your place. These are the ways/people/places that will let you understand your weaknesses so you can master them."

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Sorry but I disagree, times have moved on and so has opportunities.

In this day and age you dont need links in the top recording companies, you dont need anything apart from your brain and a portfolio expressing your passion.

There are so many outlets to show your skills to the world, so many links and possibilities, so many success stories of the average joe making it big.

If you do what you do and you do a bloody good job of it, you will be seen/heard.

Success does not have limits or boundaries, nore does it have a road to travel on. Follow your passions and everything else will follow!

Even a 12 year old like my friends brother makes some killer beats on simple softwares like fruity loops, if he continues the way he is going and follows his passion, he will make it big time, there is no question of a doubt, with or without the presence of Sony.

Immortal Technique who was headhunted by Sony, he is a very hardcore rapper who talks about politics and sensitive issues, he has refused to sign with them not once, not twice..but three times.

He started in a military camp selling his albums, to date he has sold millions of his albums. No links anywhere high up, no advertsing, nothing! just using his CD as an outlet for people to hear his "art" as he calls it.

To think you need to follow a system just limits your own possibilities, and in a world where anything is possible, why bother?

Blessings

A

Anon3587x

Ok, well that is definitely good advice.
And I agree that you can slap on a reality check without shattering dreams. It's very easy to look at someone with the desire but lack of skill and tell them "Sure, you can do it. Listen to me very carefully and don't interrupt. These are the difficulties, these are the proven methods of success, and you are not yet skilled enough. If you turn that desire into dedication, you can earn your place. These are the ways/people/places that will let you understand your weaknesses so you can master them."

I'm probably just speaking for myself when I say this, but it doesn't really matter what anybody says about anything I plan to do. In most cases, it's not like I'm actually listening if somebody offers me their opinion in which I didn't ask for. I follow the facts, ignore the opinions. Determine my own best outcome. I love failing just as much as succeeding, at least I tried which is more than most.

A

Anon3587x

Just like to add real quick that immortal technique is legit, and I think people are unsuccessful because they do not understand the power of marketing in business.

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Just like to add real quick that immortal technique is pretty F*cking legit.

And I think people are unsuccessful because they do not understand how powerful marketing is in business.

Hahaha, yes I totally agree.

I believe the best business to promote in this world is "YOU", Be the greatest at whatever it is you do and you will inspire the world. Whether its selling potatoes or some wacky invention, if you love and are passionate about doing it, it will pay off.

Talking about wacky inventions, has anyone heard of the bannana guard?
banana-guard-yellow.png

Banana Guard

I mean imagine going the usual route with this idea, pitching on Dragons Den or trying to get funding from the local bank, you would have been made a laughing stock of!!!

The inventor had the last laugh, she/he has made hundreds of thousands of pounds selling this somewhat "fruity" idea. She started selling these at a car boot, then a market, then moved on into an independant retailer, and from there she met the right people. Not only that, but she/he is expanding and bound to make millions, AMAZING!

Not exactly invention of the year, but I guess I get pretty upset when my banana gets destroyed in my back pack when Im riding, so a cure for a problem has been solved!

Systems generally dont work, why work my way up and through the pyramid, when I can get a helicopter there.

Go against the grain!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.