The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MAGIC JACK Complete Office Solution ( Phone+Fax)

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I have went back and fourth but everything is figured out. I have my Phone and fax hooked up with a MJ. If you follow what i show here everything will work.

1st, some phones will not ring, its a signal strength thing, i can tell you stay away from motorola, Vtech mostly all work, either way buy a phone, try it, and if it does not work return it and try another.

Second, the phone and fax will not work together, the voicemail gets confused and then it does not know whether to go to fax or phone.

So now your going to need two magic jacks, 1 for the phone (It will ring and voicemail will work) and also one for your fax.

You are going to need another computer for this though, because you can only run one MJ on a single computer. Here is the solution.

WYSE XPe Thin Client MagicJack 512/512 WiFi 54Mb 11g - eBay (item 190375708909 end time Mar-06-10 07:22:19 PST)

This is a small $100 computer, no fan or anything.

My fax machine is set up on this and works perfect, my regular phone is on my primary computer no problem.

Again you need
-a phone
-fax/printer
-2 MagicJacks
-The mini computer

The first year is free so 2 MJ's will costs 80 upfront for both then $40 per year after that.

Now you have a separate fax machine, phone line, small computer for $180 upfront and $40 per year after that. What are you paying a year for this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I have a mj... I have used it for voice and fax both... It was great at first. lately I have been having major issues with the quality of the line. I have tons and tons of static at times other times its perfectly fine... since these line quality issues I have been unable to fax. it calls rings scans then wont send anything. i have no clue what is wrong.

I did the repairs and re dl the software. nothing fixed the problem.

what I have done is to have the mj # forwarded to my cell phone. If I am near the pc and the mj is working I call the person back from the mj. if its not i just answer it on the cell.

all in all I have had it for about 9months. I cant decide if I could recomend it to someone or not. the best feature is that I can call my mom who lives 12 hrs away and talk for free to her. sometimes tho i have to call her back due to static or we totally get disconnected for no reason. but hey its essentially free so I do still use it.

I can definatley say that I would NEVER depend on this phone to run a business.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
@CarrieW, I did not know you could forward the MJ calls to your cell... how did you do it?

@JoeyBiz, thansk for the advice, rep++ for an alternative solution.

I use it with my family overseas, for us it works OK, but needing to have a "real" computer plugged in for it to work is a hassle, so maybe this thin client solution makes more sense. Thanks again.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
if you click on the tab just under the magicjack ready to call screen it says {my} {weather} {yahoo } click the {my}button and it takes u to a login screen you can log in with your username or phone number. and your password

after u log in at the bottom left of the screen it has a gray box that says {my.magicjack} u click on that and it takes u to the settings screen. its like the 4th selection down, call forwarding. u just set the number and activate it and it goes right to the number u put there. you can order more mj years and change other settings also in that screen.

only thing with the forwarding is it goes straight thru to my cell it doesnt ring the mj at all. but i hear a signal from the cell just before my phone rings that lets me know its a forwarded call so I always know which line someone rang.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
yeah but most people just bag it without thinking about the situation. You really should not use it for both fax and phone, it just will eventually have issues. Use the dedicated line to the small pc, and the fax hooked up to your computer. I have never once had the line down or had issues with it. Here and there maybe some static but 99% of the time we all use cell phones and its the same, everyone is used to once in a blue moon static. It is going to cost me $40 per year to have a fax and phone line, i cant complain, and if you want some salesmen on the phone, guess what, 100 bucks for the mini computer and another magic jack and your costs are just paying the salesman. That alone just created a huge opportunity for anyone.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
As an alternative solution, you can use Skype for your phone and OneSuite for your fax. Unlimited calling in North America plus a domestic phone number costs about $50/year with Skype. You can also download Skype onto your Windows smartphone or Iphone and use it from anywhere you have a internet connection. I have had business conference calls with clients from the US sitting in a McDonalds in Helsinki on my mobile phone....for free using Skype. Two years ago, Skype wasn't very good for business use, but I have not issue now. And OneSuite is an electronic fax software that costs $2/month. Incoming faxes are included and outgoing are 10 cents/page. I rarely send outgoing faxes as I ususually scan/email them anyway. This combinination of Onesuite/Skype allows me to work from anywhere without geographical limitiations. I use a small portable scanner from Visioneer as well. This set up works just as well in my office, but allows me to have flexibility and low cost.

FYI, I have also tried Magic Jack, but I had too many problems with it. Skype is much easier and better quality with not much more cost.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
its not just static lol... its so loud you cant hear the phone ringing or the other party at all. i used it for a fax a few times (i think 3 or 4) for single things i needed to fax out. I do not have my fax machine hooked up 99% of the time...

I have just discovered tho it is not the magic jack it is something to do with my usb ports... I have it in right now and have other wires holding in the perfect posion and it seems to be fine. if I move the wire it goes to full static... it seems to be something in the connection between the mj ad the usb port...(all 3 usb ports)

I think my kids bumped into it when it was plugged in one too many times lol...

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
its not just static lol... its so loud you cant hear the phone ringing or the other party at all. i used it for a fax a few times (i think 3 or 4) for single things i needed to fax out. I do not have my fax machine hooked up 99% of the time...

I have just discovered tho it is not the magic jack it is something to do with my usb ports... I have it in right now and have other wires holding in the perfect posion and it seems to be fine. if I move the wire it goes to full static... it seems to be something in the connection between the mj ad the usb port...(all 3 usb ports)

I think my kids bumped into it when it was plugged in one too many times lol...

I also had this issue with MJ. Because it is an external device, it is susceptible to damage. it doubt it is the usb drive in your comuter, but the MJ device itself. with skype, you have not external device and you can log in from any computer anywhere.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.