The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Love and Entrepreneurship - Can it work?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
I did this quick video on my rough journey balancing the two, what do you guys think?

[video=youtube_share;1n8fBHxftqU]http://youtu.be/1n8fBHxftqU[/video]

This one was about People and their importance in business

[video=youtube;uyTsfQqGonI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyTsfQqGonI&feature=share&list=UUARb_tdXqfglVPs3-JP-ETA[/video]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SideSwipe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
Really like your point in the first video about setting expectations. Seems obvious, but I think a lot of people fail to communicate this well with their significant others out of fear that their passions will be rejected.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I personally think it's too difficult. I'd rather be alone until I'm where I want to be financially than deal with additional stress that can hinder my path. I think it's very important to have 100% focus on your venture, though balance is just as important it is very stressful and time consuming to do both. Most women have difficulty grasping the entrepreneurial mind as they are nurturers and require extra attention as well as effort.

The less people you have to carry on your speedboat, the faster you can go UNLESS you choose a partner who understands the importance of your path...It's rare though.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
With any partner you need to be on the same page with the major stuff, like:

- Kids
- Marriage
- Sex
- Careers
- Housing
- Etc...

Not to say you have to be 1:1 on every aspect "or else", but you need to understand where you are flexible, where you aren't, and everything in between. When you aren't - you will crash. Period.

If you want sex twice a day and they want sex once per week - Crash.
If you want to live in the city and they want the country - Crash.
If you want 8 children and they want zero - Crash.

Entrepreneurship is NO DIFFERENT.

Get a co-pilot who can take the twists, turns and detours as long as you both are heading in the same direction.

Personally, I wouldn't be here without my wife. Is everything roses? No - but we're on the same page. We can handle the detours and road blocks because we're headed in the same direction on all the major stuff.

jackwilder94

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Oct 7, 2012
you can perfectly go out every day to a movie or dinner with your girlfriend if you're smart and know how to balance everything. I'd say it's bs that you have to somehow put entrepreneurship over this stuff cause you can have the best of the both worlds, work smart everday and have some leisure time everyday. I know really successful people that never sacrificed everything, worked smart a few hours a day and had free time everyday and they still do it today.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
That's a tough one. I definitely think having a supportive partner does help a lot, but in retrospective everytime I had a woman in my life it slowed me down more than I was willing to admit at that time. I like to focus on one thing and being in a relationship lessened my focus on business quite a bit and as I noticed that I did end the relationship most of the time. I think this stems from the fact that I feel like I've not yet made it and I'm honestly not willing to soft-pedal at this point of my journey.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas
No relationship is perfect...my wife and I have been married 9 years and we have two kids. And I started my company 3 years ago. It's been nuts...crazy, stressful, and fun all at different times. But having someone to come home to is awesome. Plus she's a great sounding board for things and will shoot holes in all my sucky ideas before I can implement them.

So it can work, with the right person.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
If your partner doesn't understand the challenges you face as an entrepreneur, a relationship will be very difficult to deal with. It's tough enough running a successful business, couple that with the challenges any relationship faces and you have the perfect mix for disaster. Worse if you have another relationship with your business partner.

My girlfriend is a nurse and we've been together for a little over two years. She's completely disconnected from everything that I do (except for the perks of free music festivals) and it has worked really well for us. Keeping the two separate can make things better.

Regardless of your situation though, being open and honest will help. There are going to be times in your business when you're not able to devote the time and energy your partner deservers. However, if they believe / love / trust you then it's something you can get through.

Just make sure along the journey that you take the time to ENJOY LIFE. Always another day to build a business, cherish each moment that you can.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Its funny, the questions I ask myself when I date a person are VERY similar to the questions I ask myself when I look for a business partner.

Does this person share the same values and goals as me?
Is there any good reason why this won't work out?

I have had tremendous success in both love and business asking myself this question.

At the end of the day marriage is the ULTIMATE life partnership. It can make you very happy or it can make you very miserable. Just like business :cool:.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Life is best enjoyed when shared with people you love ... or, at the very least, that is my perspective.

Rather than asking her to "understand" and "not complain" ... Why not do the entreprenurial thing ... and find a solution? Apply the 80/20 rule ... delegate ... automate ... eliminate ... or do whatever else you need to do ... and CREATE the time.

There comes a point where "more money" is only going to make a marginal difference in your quality of life -- or maybe even no difference. But your kid ...only grows up once. Miss those precious moments working on another "deal" somewhere ... odds are, one day ... you are going to regret it.

Nothing wrong with ambition, drive and focus ... just don't lose sight of the ends in pursuit of the means.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I personally think it's too difficult. I'd rather be alone until I'm where I want to be financially than deal with additional stress that can hinder my path. I think it's very important to have 100% focus on your venture, though

12:07 am here. My wife is asleep. Now I'm working. She gives me more motivation. Keep an open mind.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
12:07 am here. My wife is asleep. Now I'm working. She gives me more motivation. Keep an open mind.

What works for some may not work for others. Doesn't mean I don't have an open mind, means I've already experienced it for myself and it does not work for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.