The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking to sell my company. Any advice on posts to read?

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
You will have to sell it yourself as the deal size is too small for most people to be interested.

"I'm my only sales person and I run the entire team by myself."

Without you the business seems like it would slowly fade. It doesn't seem like a fastlane business as the growth rate potential doesn't seem to be there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
He said it's a web development company.

Read and devour built to sell. It will give you a new perspective on your business. I have a feeling, that if it's a service based business, your business will be difficult to sell. But, that doesn't mean you can't get it there.

Good luck!
Does that mean he builds websites?

Ultra7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 18, 2013
I mentioned it above.

Its certainly not rocket science. But you need to have the right formula.

Unless I missed it, you haven't been very transparent as to what the business does. Is this because it could be replicated for far less than you're hoping to cash-out for?

Aivix231

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Dec 11, 2012
You will have to sell it yourself as the deal size is too small for most people to be interested.

"I'm my only sales person and I run the entire team by myself."

Without you the business seems like it would slowly fade. It doesn't seem like a fastlane business as the growth rate potential doesn't seem to be there.

If someone buys his bussines im sure he knows the risk, if their bussines falls , it isnt OP's fault!

Same happened with MJ , he sold company and it faded away, was it his fault ? NO !

When its sold its sold and seller dont take responsability if new owner just lose all bussines. Thats how it should be.

Ultra7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 18, 2013
Been a year or so since I posted. I tracked all the expenses, etc, for 2014 and would appreciate any feedback on what you guys think the company is worth? Here are the numbers:

Total gross profit in 2014 was $480,938.95
Total expenses for 2014 $131,492.00

Net profit for 2014 is $349,446.95

Thanks in advance!

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
Ultra7,

It could be worth $0 and it could be worth $1 billion based on the above.

Many other factors can change the valuation like:
  • Debt/liabilities
  • Quality of earnings
  • Seasonality
  • Regulations/lawsuits
  • Contractual obligations
  • Customer base
  • Inventory
  • Equipment
  • Real Estate
Also there's multiple valuation models. The only thing that matters is what buyers offer you.

If you don't know how to sell it yourself, you can get a broker to assist you if you think they can do a better job selling it for you but expect to pay up to 12% based on this deal size

Last edited:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Been a year or so since I posted. I tracked all the expenses, etc, for 2014 and would appreciate any feedback on what you guys think the company is worth? Here are the numbers:

Total gross profit in 2014 was $480,938.95
Total expenses for 2014 $131,492.00

Net profit for 2014 is $349,446.95

Thanks in advance!

Okay...what was % growth year over year, last 5? What role do you play in the operations--is it "turn key?" (god I hate that term)

Let's back up from this and think of it as though I approached you as a seller. I have a business that does $30k a month, do you want to buy? What questions would you ask me, and how would I sell you on it?

It's all about proving the value in sale to the buyer. You could get $100m or $100 yen depending on how you sell it. All that matters to the buyer is the money I pay to buy it worth the risk? Sounds like you've spent a year trying to sell, and I wouldn't touch it with a ten yard stick.

FTLane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 23, 2014
So you're saying you went from earning 20-25k a month in 2013 to 40k a month in 2014? The growth rate seems to look decent but there's still a plethora of information lacking to give this business a meaningful valuation. Have you considered contacting an agency to sell your business for you? If you're interested I could help you sell your business for a fee, I have access to a network of people eager to get into online businesses.

Ultra7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 18, 2013
Ultra7,

It could be worth $0 and it could be worth $1 billion based on the above.

Many other factors can change the valuation like:
  • Debt/liabilities
  • Quality of earnings
  • Seasonality
  • Regulations/lawsuits
  • Contractual obligations
  • Customer base
  • Inventory
  • Equipment
  • Real Estate
Also there's multiple valuation models. The only thing that matters is what buyers offer you.

If you don't know how to sell it yourself, you can get a broker to assist you if you think they can do a better job selling it for you but expect to pay up to 12% based on this deal size

Thank you for your feedback. To answer some of your points:

-Zero debt. Only expenses.
-Quality of earnings I would say is pretty high. Chargeback rate is like 1/1000.
-This is not a seasonal.
-No lawsuits. Not a very regulated industry. 100% legal.
-Aside from ICA's for staff and the very occasional NDA, we do not have any contracts.
-Approximately 3,000 clients.
-No inventory.
-No equipment (just need a computer and software).
-No physical office building. Staff works remote.

Ultra7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 18, 2013
Okay...what was % growth year over year, last 5? What role do you play in the operations--is it "turn key?" (god I hate that term)

Let's back up from this and think of it as though I approached you as a seller. I have a business that does $30k a month, do you want to buy? What questions would you ask me, and how would I sell you on it?

It's all about proving the value in sale to the buyer. You could get $100m or $100 yen depending on how you sell it. All that matters to the buyer is the money I pay to buy it worth the risk? Sounds like you've spent a year trying to sell, and I wouldn't touch it with a ten yard stick.

For growth, the sky is the limit. It would depend on how many more staff you want to hire, if you want to hire sales people, advertise more, etc. I also have never actually made a move to sell.. so I certainly haven't spent a year trying to sell it.

Ultra7

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 18, 2013
So you're saying you went from earning 20-25k a month in 2013 to 40k a month in 2014? The growth rate seems to look decent but there's still a plethora of information lacking to give this business a meaningful valuation. Have you considered contacting an agency to sell your business for you? If you're interested I could help you sell your business for a fee, I have access to a network of people eager to get into online businesses.

It's only $29k/month on average.. so its not a massive increase but approximately 20%-30% seems decent to me in a year.

And no, I've never contacted an agency.. nor taken any steps to sell aside from making this post to get advice on the subject.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Sounds promising for you. Do what Mark Cuban did when he sold Broadcast.com--find a company that would benefit from purchasing your company and persuade them to buy it.

Aivix231

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Dec 11, 2012
as i know in Internet space, websites get sold for 10x+ Month profit
But you have established bussiness and huge history and growth so it will go for huge $$$

You just need right person if that would be website it would go for $1 million + EASILY

I would reccomend these guys : http://feinternational.com/

They have sold my friends bussiness and they ahve tons of clients with deep pockets

empireflippers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Mar 1, 2013
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Hey Ultra7,

Is this business still available? We might have some investors willing to take a look + make an offer.

We help broker websites and online business transactions in the $10K - $1M range.

Don't worry about anyone who says an online business without a physical office won't sell - that's rubbish.

My guess is your business would sell for somewhere around $700K - $900K depending on a number of factors.

For a quick/rough estimate, you can use our free Valuation Tool:

http://empireflippers.com/valuation-tool/

If you'd like us to take a more in-depth look at listing and selling your business, you can submit it for sale with us here:

http://empireflippers.com/sell-your-site/

mrf

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 3, 2014
Southern California
It sounds like your business is a service (web development) and you're heavily involved in it.

Your most realistic buyer is another web developer who wants to supplement their existing work with your brand's advertising leads / client base / established outsourced support.

Most financial buyers aren't going to have the technical expertise to know if the people you are outsourcing to are doing a good job or not, which makes the opportunity less attractive.

I'd try contacting other web developers / small agencies directly before engaging a broker.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.