The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Looking for feedback on workbook cover

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
I am about wrapping up my first workbook and I am designing my cover workbook cover. Would love feedback that can poke holes around my design concept so I can improve.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Attachments

• Workbook 1 cover.png
    Workbook 1 cover.png
    773.7 KB · Views: 7

Tom H.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
The text is just floating on top of the image and is not super easy to read. I'd frame the text, maybe use a black rectangle and then apply transparency until it looks good with the photo.

Tom H.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
I'd also use more of a margin, i.e. the author name is all the way to the edge is the image, it should have more space between the text and the edge.

You use the word "personal" twice in the subheading, it is a little awkward.

Maybe: "A personal development program for growth and stability".

I'm not stoked on the font or the image, but to avoid sending you all the way back to square one, I'll just suggest that the display font should only be used for the main titles, it's to difficult to read for the longer subtitle. Maybe find a complementary font to use for the non title text.

The brush strokes quality makes me think of Zen Mind, Beginners Mind and The Artists Way, though neither of those actually use that kind of font on the cover.

Did you have any references when designing?

Last edited:

afrankmore

Contributor
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
I'd also use more of a margin, i.e. the author name is all the way to the edge is the image, it should have more space between the text and the edge.

You use the word "personal" twice in the subheading, it is a little awkward.

Maybe: "A personal development program for growth and stability".

I'm not stoked on the font or the image, but to avoid sending you all the way back to square one, I'll just suggest that the display font should only be used for the main titles, it's to difficult to read for the longer subtitle. Maybe find a complementary font to use for the non title text.
Thank you, I do appreciate the feedback and your suggestions wouldn't set me back very far at all. It something I work on between writing content to break up my work flow a bit. I will look at fonts that complement each other, look at doing a boarder for the heading and text. Realign my bottom text from the edge and I will play around with the image.. I am trying to figure out a general image of starting over in life, that is what popped out to me. But this isn't for me, its for the general public so I am trying to understand a better photo that will trigger that type of psychology rather than what I like. Any suggestions towards that would be welcomed as well. I appreciate your feedback and willingness to guide this topic. Thank you

Tom H.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Images...

A seed sprouting? Could be an illustration or macro photography. Light breaking through clouds (ugh)

Probably something simpler to look at and without a real person.

Are you familiar with how romantic comedies all have the same basic movie poster, and buddy comedies and other types of movies? Maybe apply the same idea here, see if you can find patterns similar books, how they use layout, typography and imagery.

afrankmore

Contributor
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
I am about wrapping up my first workbook and I am designing my cover workbook cover. Would love feedback that can poke holes around my design concept so I can improve.
Update: I spent some time reviewing suggestions from both the forum and my FB world. I have created 2 additional examples of a front cover. So far, the majority has liked Design #3. I left design 4 open for suggestions.

Attachments

• Cover Choices.png
    Cover Choices.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 2

Tom H.

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Looks better. Design #3 looks good, but kind of flimsy. I like the strong feel of the black. Either way, seems like you're on track. The layout of #3 is probably the best.

afrankmore

Contributor
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
Looks better. Design #3 looks good, but kind of flimsy. I like the strong feel of the black. Either way, seems like you're on track. The layout of #3 is probably the best.
Thank you for the feedback.. I feel that to make it strong, I can darken the picture a bit and work on the right blend of the picture and context. I can feel what you mean about the strong feel of the black as well.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
How much it will cost if I go for a new setup. I was looking for such ideas and I want to take...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom