The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Long Intro from a former Lurker

sadlerj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2012
Harrisburg, PA
I love internet forums, if you find the right one there is no greater source of information and community out there on the web.

Instead of lurking, like I usually do, I want to turn over a new leaf and get more active.

Here's my story:

I'm pushing 40. In my 20s, in the 1990s, I skipped college and went to work for an internet provider - Mindspring, in the days of dialup access. I worked technical support, which was low entry, low skill. I didn't have much ambition other than to maximize pay and minimize work. My goals at the time were getting drunk and meeting girls.

I ended up working for some various startups, and it took me from Pennsylvania to Seattle. I freaked on 9/11, moved back home, and before I knew it I was 30. I decided to go back to school, but at the time we were still reeling from the dot-com crash. To my perspective all computer jobs were destine to go overseas. So instead of computers, I decided to go into medicine. Medical imaging for cardiology to be more specific. It's not bad work, 60k a year, but now I'm married and I have a kid, a mortgage, a car payment, and a student loan payment. Making ends meet is hard.

My professional skill lacks a lot of scale and control. It takes me 45 minutes to scan a patient. Also, my scan isn't complete unless it is interrupted by a cardiologist. The equipment I use is very expensive. I see no feasible way I could work for myself. I simply lack the connections, education, and capital (especially capital) to start my own imaging service. Competition is pretty fierce too.

I've always been a hustler. I remember when I was a kid a candy shop took over an old automotive warehouse and they sold candy at the door wholesale. A kid at school offered me $.50 for some Pop Rocks I paid a dime for. Ding-Ding! By the end of the week I was making $3-$4 a day and on the weekends I had a candy stand instead of a lemonade stand. Unfortunately my enterprise seemed to bother every adult in my life, and between teachers and neighborhood parents I was eventually shut down.

There have been a lot of ventures between then and now, publishing, craft shows, Ebay, Amazon... Last year I read MJ's book and I started reading the forum. Biophase inspired me. I got my shit together, got a business tax ID, paid for a Worldwide Brands subscription. I settled on a product based on google analytics - Sheepskin Rugs. I did all the backwork for a dropshipping ecommerce website, got my merchant account, established a supplier…

Right before I launched the Sandy Hook tragedy occurred. I am a gunowner, and I've had a particular obsession with Cold War weaponry. Prices of guns, bullets, and so on, nearly tripled overnight. Ding-Ding, my hustle light went on.

The gunworld online is pretty primitive, a lot of suppliers still have Anglefire websites with phone numbers to call and order. I bought a ton of rifle magazines (Clips as some of you may call them) and I started a better website than my competition. Firearm magazines (clips) and great to sell online because Amazon and Ebay won't touch them. One morning I woke up and noticed I had over a dozen orders waiting. Things exploded over the next couple of days more and more orders piled in. I was staying up until 3AM packing and shipping orders. At the rate I was going I was suddenly making more money than my dayjob. My sheepskin rug website went on the backburner.

I traced my sudden popularity back to a mention my website got on a blog. I had done zero marketing, everything was driven to me by one blog. I reordered supplies, bought a second product, and... my orders dropped off. I fooled around a little with Adwords, but my advertising expenses soon overtook my profits.

Immediate success also brought to light some problems with my business plans, my inability to expand, my lack of a solid supplier, and the fact that firearms were in a panic bubble. Also, I wasn't especially thrilled with dealing in such controversial products. So, I shut down my gun site, and I shut down my sheepskin site, and I've been re-assessing ever since.

Quickflash success whet my appetite, but now I am looking for something better, something scalable and sustainable.

I have been inspired again by HeldforRansom's success with Kindle publishing. I am also considering another ecommerce venture. Presently I'm trying to organize my time a little better, having a little taste of success has given me perspective on what I need to do to make things work.

One of those things is to involve myself in a like-minded community. Here I am. I will update my progress when I have some, and being an older dude with some experience I hope I can help answer a few questions too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...