The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Local Meetup Groups - Worth It?

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hi Fastlaners,

I've been teetering on the idea of joining a local meetup group (via Meetup.com) and attending a meeting. I was wondering if anyone has any previous experience with this.

I run a local service business and have noticed plenty of local "Entrepneur", "Small Business", and other types of groups that may be helpful, but I'm still not sure. I was recently told by someone that most of the groups are run by people trying to sell their own agendas.

My questions to those who have been to a local meetup:
  • Did you make any solid connections?
  • Was the meetup informative? Did you learn anything?
  • Have they been helpful to you in any way?
I guess the only way to know is to actually go to one, but still want to hear your thoughts!

-Ryon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlexVilch

MVP Development || StartupServices.ca
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 23, 2018
Toronto
I used to go to a bunch of local meetups that had 5000+ members and to my surprise only about 30-40 people actually attended. Usually, a meetup is about something, for example, "How to save on taxes for small business in 2019" and usually they try to sell you something. You might learn something depending on how much you already know.

To answer your questions:
1) No solid connections were made, just a bunch of people who said, "Yeah we should meet and discuss this" which later just disappeared.
2) Rarely I learn something new that had any use, more like just learn interesting things.
3) No, but a good way to socialize and meet new people

My thought is that serious people don't have time for meetups because they are busy working

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.