• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Liquor Store Start Up?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Lilly P, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:47 PM.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $20,670
    IMG_7397.JPG

Why not have an actual store and a drive up/drive thru?

Even better, why not actually conjure the meaning of startup and have an app where people can pre-order their items and have curbside pickup. That way in the app you can upsell and have tripwire offers.

2. Lilly P

Lilly P New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    I will cheek fire code, good thinking.
    I love the idea of an app. I'm afraid the learning curve would be high to start with but could be advertised and available to people. About 30% of what's here isn't even on Google. Its not a tech savvy location. I've actually been building web presence for local businesses since coming here.

Part of my target is golf cart drivers. It is an experience here. This small area has a thousand registered golf carts, most of them being in the rental pool. Most people get their golf cart and then cruise the main drag and do a little shopping, get their alcohol, beach and beverage items. Some bring the first set with them from their own town. A lot of people end up making 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th runs. My location is on the main drag but five blocks from the beach. My second location ideally would be right on the beach. *Mine wouldn't be a drive-thru in the typical sense of a drive-thru. It would have two garage doors that open up and they would actually drive through where the products are, though a lot of the products would be in fridges. I like the idea that they wouldn't have to get out of their golf cart, but I think that limits the browsing and choice selection, like you mentioned. There is another liquor store closer to the main intersection here.

Any thoughts on how to overcome those considering that it's a drive-thru building?

Also, previous to all of the scary thoughts, haha, I was considering using my own money but now I think I want to use someone else's to do it. Any thoughts on raising capital for an idea like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    Invictus likes this.
  3. Lilly P

Lilly P New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    The golf cart drive through is part of my gimmick... with the free items.

4. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $19,667
    Gas or electric golf carts?

If it's gas, you'll probably have issues with fire code, OSHA, and insurance. (running a gas powered motor indoors)

5. Lilly P

Lilly P New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    Gas but they only operate while your moving. Motor shuts down while stopped. Also that's why i have two big doors and additional ventilation.

6. Lilly P

Lilly P New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    I do really love the idea of the kiosks but I don't think I can afford the retail space to make that happen here. Also I'm not sure if that really solves the problem of not having to deal with anybody. Underage drinking is a huge problem down here so the security guard would have to check everyone's ID. I could swipe my ID and let in three 15 year olds, so I think that would have to be monitored pretty closely. Setting up a beer vending machine on the beach would be huge but they won't issue any Beach vendor licenses here.

There are alcohol apps, like grizzly (I think they do delivery if I remember) already being used in some locations. Not here though. But perhaps I could work in conjunction with an existing one.

7. ddzc

ddzc Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,174
    @MidwestLandlord on fire with his posts, such solid advice.

You're taking a lot of risk here. I don't think a drive up and free cooler packs are enough reason to even consider opening this (don't mean to be so harsh). In addition, you mentioned two heavy hitters which are down the street from you and closer to the intersection, why would they come to your store instead? I'm not sure if this beach is in the US or an island in Asia, etc, but if it's in the US, most likely many of the people going to the beach are locals and have been going for ages and will default and always go to the same liquor store due to natural habits. If I'm chilling at the beach and run out of booze, I'll just walk over to the one closest to the beach and grab what I need.

I'm a heavy beach goer and personally I've never had the need to go to a store nearby. I always bring a cooler with ice and my booze, and I'm set for the day. If I make it a weekend beach venture, I just go to the convenience store the next day, buy ice for a couple $ and repeat.

If you do the drive thru option, I suggest getting an app created and have your full inventory in there for people to browse. Add a few upsells before they finalize the order. Once the order is finalized, have a notification advising them that the order is ready for pickup at any time and done.

MidwestLandlord and Scot like this.