The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Like eveyone else, need advice ASAP Fear of the "Slow Lane"

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA

Got it up and running! Took a tiny shortcut but, worth it! Let me know what you think.

http://www.wearesavvysavers.com/$$/Seminar_VOD.html

Awesome idea, thanks!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

davidstorm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 26, 2011
Ohio
First, let me say I think it is a great idea. We have basically been in a recession since 2008, and I don't think its going to get much better soon. People need to learn how to save money. The whole extreme couponing thing is big right now.

I agree with the posters that say for you to charge more. Even people that are "struggling" are still probably paying for cable, Internet, cell phones, buying name brand clothes, etc. A 10 dollar seminar doesn't scream "high value" to me. Sell it like crazy, emphasize how much they will save. One concept that revolutionized my view of saving money is treating the money saved like a bonus or investment. If I save $300 a month on groceries, that is like getting a $3600 bonus each year, only I don't have to pay taxes on it. People will pay you $150 to learn how to do that!

I would also quantify the savings on your front page. Will they pay close to zero dollars in groceries? Tell them that. Will they get a computer for $100? Tell them that. How much do most families save per month when using your program? Tell them that. Real world, personal anecdotes sell better than facts and figures. It may seem counterintuitive, but it is true. Check out a great book called Cashvertising, which is pretty much the Bible of how to convince people to buy things, all the way down to which font to use.

And, get a newsletter. You want to capture people's information. Offer them weekly tips, post upcoming seminars, link to good books (including yours), which you can then sell via an affiliate program. Many affiliates will provide you with coupons too, which is right up your alley. For example, I am an affiliate with Puritan's Pride Vitamins. They offer special offers for their affiliates. One of your weekly emails could highlight the deal they are giving, and you get 10% of what they order. Its win-win, for you and your readers.

Good luck!
David

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
First, let me say I think it is a great idea. We have basically been in a recession since 2008, and I don't think its going to get much better soon. People need to learn how to save money. The whole extreme couponing thing is big right now.

I agree with the posters that say for you to charge more. Even people that are "struggling" are still probably paying for cable, Internet, cell phones, buying name brand clothes, etc. A 10 dollar seminar doesn't scream "high value" to me. Sell it like crazy, emphasize how much they will save. One concept that revolutionized my view of saving money is treating the money saved like a bonus or investment. If I save $300 a month on groceries, that is like getting a $3600 bonus each year, only I don't have to pay taxes on it. People will pay you $150 to learn how to do that!

I would also quantify the savings on your front page. Will they pay close to zero dollars in groceries? Tell them that. Will they get a computer for $100? Tell them that. How much do most families save per month when using your program? Tell them that. Real world, personal anecdotes sell better than facts and figures. It may seem counterintuitive, but it is true. Check out a great book called Cashvertising, which is pretty much the Bible of how to convince people to buy things, all the way down to which font to use.

And, get a newsletter. You want to capture people's information. Offer them weekly tips, post upcoming seminars, link to good books (including yours), which you can then sell via an affiliate program. Many affiliates will provide you with coupons too, which is right up your alley. For example, I am an affiliate with Puritan's Pride Vitamins. They offer special offers for their affiliates. One of your weekly emails could highlight the deal they are giving, and you get 10% of what they order. Its win-win, for you and your readers.

Good luck!
David

Duely noted David! I have actually used the line

"I've saved close to $10,000 a year on my grocery bill a year, that's like getting a $10,000 a year raise" in my seminar! I've also told them, "Look, with the economy the way it is, you have 2 options, make more money or save more money, making more money, now, isn't a real option but, I can show you how to save BIG money NOW!"

Of course, that resinates with the group and the room gets silent, afterwards, they are all smiling and there's a buzz around the room, I can tell they learned a great deal from me and are excited to get started "saving".

I will update the home page of my website TODAY! Thanks for the great insight!

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
O.k. - I've corrected and updated the website with an amalgum of everyone's ideas, including RAISING THE PRICE. Now, how do I get this in front of more people, quickly? I've posted it all over social media I've even sent off a DVD copy to Amazon to be posted as VOD on their site. I've contacted 40 local churches and even a few local Colleges.

What other venues can I persue?

Thanks so much for all the feedback thus far, it has been absolutely amazing! BTW, my book should be here today, so I'll probably read it through till the end, I think it will be worth the "down time". :)

trnkyit

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 7, 2011
Ardmore, OK
Got it up and running! Took a tiny shortcut but, worth it! Let me know what you think.

http://www.wearesavvysavers.com/$$/Seminar_VOD.html

You rock! That will do it for now.
Question? When the VOD is over, is there a feedback mechanism? I assume you capture all of their contact info? Including email address?

For my business, I plan on sending thank you letters ( yes Snail Mail ) that include business card sized ' referral cards ' with a special codes so I can track usage and give the handlers a special discount on future purchases.

Something else to think about.

Corey

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
You rock! That will do it for now.
Question? When the VOD is over, is there a feedback mechanism? I assume you capture all of their contact info? Including email address?

For my business, I plan on sending thank you letters ( yes Snail Mail ) that include business card sized ' referral cards ' with a special codes so I can track usage and give the handlers a special discount on future purchases.

Something else to think about.

Corey

One step ahead, my friend. Yes! There is a feedback option and they can "Ask a question" as well. All info is captured. I will be mailing "snail mail" a "We Are $avvy $avers" refriderator magnet to everyone that purchases the VOD. Yes, it will cut into profits but, I have 500 of the magnets already that I purchased for the packets for the people that attended in person. They only cost me .90 each plus an envelope and postage, I'll be in it for about $1.60 total but, I think receiving a "surprise" FREE GIFT in the mail will certainly gather some chatter....

Here's the magnet:

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

Thoughts?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Hey now! No funny business! :eusa_naughty: That's why I was hesitant on posting it! LOL!

Don't worry, I will not steal it. I have a million headaches in front of me with my own biz..

I think you should do a commercial and then make the seminar available on your site and charge 10 bucks for watching. that leads to a major meeting that is 150 bucks++

gabeseht3

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 13, 2011
This is a perfect idea topic to monetize on the web hands free. AS others have said. You can create video webinars ready for viewing. There so many things you can do. Create a community, forum, for coupon savers. Create and sell ebook, audio, webinars, all ready for instant downlaoding, or you could create a monthly membership site. You wouldnt even have to do live seminars. Just refine and perfect your online content and automatic delivery. once you have a list, you can email special offers and get instant sales. Lastly think of the thousand of dollars you make in affiliate sales recommending and promting products that complement your own stuff. It's limitless...Think of how MJ started. Tweak, perfect, enhance. It will take time but if get focused you could definately be on the Fastlane road. It's alos scaleable and couponing never goes out of style. I fyou had 300,000 subscribers your website/compay could be worth millions. Good Luck.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
This is a perfect idea topic to monetize on the web hands free. AS others have said. You can create video webinars ready for viewing. There so many things you can do. Create a community, forum, for coupon savers. Create and sell ebook, audio, webinars, all ready for instant downlaoding, or you could create a monthly membership site. You wouldnt even have to do live seminars. Just refine and perfect your online content and automatic delivery. once you have a list, you can email special offers and get instant sales. Lastly think of the thousand of dollars you make in affiliate sales recommending and promting products that complement your own stuff. It's limitless...Think of how MJ started. Tweak, perfect, enhance. It will take time but if get focused you could definately be on the Fastlane road. It's alos scaleable and couponing never goes out of style. I fyou had 300,000 subscribers your website/compay could be worth millions. Good Luck.

Thanks! I actually just finished reading the book, couldn't put it down, finished it in a day and half! So now, as you may have guessed, My "business plan" is already changing, albeit the product will be the same, it will now be greatly diversified, Larger Scale? I KNOW so!

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Major direction change and website redesign. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Good
Bad
Indifferent

I want to hear it!

**Not all the content is there, I just put it up to get some feed back, SEO and SEM etc. wont' be in full swing for a while, just getting some feedback on usability and informational info, on the website....

www.wearesavvysavers.com

trnkyit

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 7, 2011
Ardmore, OK
Major direction change and website redesign. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

It looks better, cleaner. There's something missing though and I can't put my mind on it... I think the missing is the hook on the front page. I don't feel compelled to go beyond the first page. Nothing SCREAMS Money Money Money.

Also I think the ' Testimonials ' each need to say something like " I saved $$$ on my first try... " or " I saved $$$ on my last trip to ... '. I would like to see $$$ in those comments...

I'm not sure what the ethics are about leading the customer into creating the perfect testimonial comment, maybe others could chime in...

Corey

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
On the VOD page, "actual technics" should be "actual techniqes."

I would DEFINITELY move this toward an online delivery instead of live seminars. You hugely expand your audience that way, and you can take advantage of the "instant gratification" of online buying.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
On the VOD page, "actual technics" should be "actual techniqes."

I would DEFINITELY move this toward an online delivery instead of live seminars. You hugely expand your audience that way, and you can take advantage of the "instant gratification" of online buying.

It is going to be online delivery, I gotta start getting the product to market so, local, live "put it in the consumers hand" seminars is a great way to get the word out. I've held a few with rave reviews and to keep the momentum going, I'll do a few more, while starting to generate web traffic, then phase out the live seminars.

I haven't scoured the site for grammar or spelling yet, it's just a rough mock up, to get feedback.

Thanks for the info!

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Okee Doekee folks,

If you get minute, check the site again, another overhaul, many updates, SEO in the works, did keyword searches, uploaded site map, etc, etc, I think I'll run with this layout and model until the people "speak" - so far, the response has been good - with respect to the idea and excution - Also in the process of getting the LLC set up, name registration, trademark, etc, etc,... I'm on the FastLane SUPER EXPRESSWAY!

oh, yeah, I also have been working on a mountain of content which I hope to upload soon...

phew! Hard work and I'm LOVING it more than any J.O.B I've ever had!

Komelika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 25, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Quite the opposite! That's exactly the type of input I'm looking for!

1. I can fix the youtube video, easily - it'll be done tonight (I was thinking the same thing but, was being lazy...)
2. I'll change the countdown clock - I can schedule a seminar and no one show up... who would know?!?! LOL!
3. I'll double check the wording. (I find that funny though, I'm a bit of a prig!)
4. I've struggled with that, I'll have to make a decision and stick with it
5. I have not but, will now!
6. I can change it. I'll simply set up a new ebay account - I was using that for exposure and my positive rating but, I agree with the name issue
7. There's no real way around piracy of a tangible product, I was thinking of more of another stream of cash - I can easily set that aside

I all :ears: :ears: :ears:

FYI, you can change your ebay name without changing your feedback score.

Komelika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 25, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Here is an idea that I used several years ago for a small handyman operation I did on the side. I went to Home Depot and Lowe's and put flyers on every windshield in the parking lot (unless the vehicle looked like it belonged to a contractor). I figured that 50% of the customers were there to develop an idea and maybe 10% were overwhelmed with the cost of tools, supplies, and a lack of know how, which I could help them with. After using that technique I was never busier in my life. I even had employees hiring me for small jobs. My point is you can target your market in the parking lot of any Walmart or other grocery store! Even family dollar! Print a few hundred flyers and either distibute them yourself or pay some kids to canvas the parking lots. Anyone coming out of walmart is probably disgusted by their grocery bill. You will have their attention instantly!

Your flyer can read:
Is that grocery bill too big? Let me show you how to save substantially!

or something to that effect. Hope this helps! Good luck!

One quick observation and I hope you don't get offended. The first thing I noticed was your tattoo. It doesn't make you look professional and many people will be turned off or otherwise judge you within seconds. Myabe think about a long sleeve button down for a more professional look.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Here is an idea that I used several years ago for a small handyman operation I did on the side. I went to Home Depot and Lowe's and put flyers on every windshield in the parking lot (unless the vehicle looked like it belonged to a contractor). I figured that 50% of the customers were there to develop an idea and maybe 10% were overwhelmed with the cost of tools, supplies, and a lack of know how, which I could help them with. After using that technique I was never busier in my life. I even had employees hiring me for small jobs. My point is you can target your market in the parking lot of any Walmart or other grocery store! Even family dollar! Print a few hundred flyers and either distibute them yourself or pay some kids to canvas the parking lots. Anyone coming out of walmart is probably disgusted by their grocery bill. You will have their attention instantly!

Your flyer can read:

One quick observation and I hope you don't get offended. The first thing I noticed was your tattoo. It doesn't make you look professional and many people will be turned off or otherwise judge you within seconds. Myabe think about a long sleeve button down for a more professional look.

not offended at all! Trust me, I've heard it all about my tattoos! I thought the same thing actually, I may re-record that intro.....

Thanks!

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA

Your flyer can read:

Something like this?: (you can click on it for a bigger pic)

I'm going to print a bunch and go pound the streets tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

Komelika

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 25, 2011
Albuquerque, NM
Something like this?: (you can click on it for a bigger pic)

I'm going to print a bunch and go pound the streets tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

Looks good. Not much of a longterm strategy, but maybe it will pull people into your site and get some word of mouth spreading in your local area to fill some seats for your live venues. Good luck!

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
After reading Ca$hvertising, I had to revamp the website again, live and learn!

Let me know what you think - Content is slim right now, I've been diligently working on it. Other than that, comments on layout, colors, fonts, etc. suggestions, let me hear it!

Thanks!

www.wearesavvysavers.com

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Just a quick suggestion on marketing, I don't have much to qualify my opinion, but here goes:

You say that the "Extreme Couponing" show is misleading and that you address that in your seminar.

Why don't you attack (or play off) the Extreme Couponing show with your advertising - kind of a shock and awe type of thing?

Something like "Extreme Couponing is fake! I'll show you how to REALLY save 70%+ off on your shopping trips!". Of course, not exactly those words but something that conveys the same message.

The show is so popular that it's going to grab people's attention and they're going to want to know:
  1. Why it's fake (or misleading or whatever)
  2. How they can REALLY save a lot of money

Then you can sell them on your seminar (you could also probably turn it into a book too).

Just a thought...

EDIT: Facebook ads would probably do REALLY well for this type of thing.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Just a quick suggestion on marketing, I don't have much to qualify my opinion, but here goes:

You say that the "Extreme Couponing" show is misleading and that you address that in your seminar.

Why don't you attack (or play off) the Extreme Couponing show with your advertising - kind of a shock and awe type of thing?

Something like "Extreme Couponing is fake! I'll show you how to REALLY save 70%+ off on your shopping trips!". Of course, not exactly those words but something that conveys the same message.

The show is so popular that it's going to grab people's attention and they're going to want to know:
  1. Why it's fake (or misleading or whatever)
  2. How they can REALLY save a lot of money

Then you can sell them on your seminar (you could also probably turn it into a book too).

Just a thought...

EDIT: Facebook ads would probably do REALLY well for this type of thing.

Nice idea! I have run FB ads with little or no success, perhaps another round directed at that market might work. I'll give it a go!

Thanks for the input!

lleone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 7, 2011
New York
Website is looking good. One idea may be to have the first video on the left with the text on the right.
My concern is that someone might not scroll down to see the videos. Optionally, you may want a video that says much of what the text says front and center so someone can just click and listen to the pitch. With video you can get them very excited.

keep up the great progress

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
After reading Ca$hvertising, I had to revamp the website again, live and learn!

Looking nice. There's always place for improvement of course, but I'd now give priority to on-page SEO,
it seems to currently be the weakest spot.

Improving on-page SEO is easy and you can learn and do it yourself.

Something like "Extreme Couponing is fake! I'll show you how to REALLY save 70%+ off on your shopping trips!".

This is called "negative advertising". Nothing wrong with it, I'm just more leaned towards school of thought that's against it.

But bottom line only test could tell. If you want to, you can create one positive and one negative campaign, and simply track which one converts better.

hackersmovie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 19, 2011
Maryland, USA
Looking nice. There's always place for improvement of course, but I'd now give priority to on-page SEO,
it seems to currently be the weakest spot.

Improving on-page SEO is easy and you can learn and do it yourself.

This is called "negative advertising". Nothing wrong with it, I'm just more leaned towards school of thought that's against it.

But bottom line only test could tell. If you want to, you can create one positive and one negative campaign, and simply track which one converts better.

Well... I finished reading Ca$hvertising and at the end the Author invites you to email him so, I figured I take him up on his offer. (Not really thinking I'm going to get a response)

HE EMAILED ME BACK THE NEXT DAY!!!

It blows me away that guys like MJ and Drew, actually take the time to interact with us "slowlaners", it just goes to show the true character of these gentlemen.....

Anyway, Drew SHREDDED my website, which was AWESOME! So, now, it's been redesigned, once again. I think it'll run this way for a while. I've gotten tons of feedback but, I am always looking for more.

So, if you don't mind... check it out, one last time....

P.S. - I've never worked so hard in my life (towards my FastLane) but, have never felt more ALIVE!

Thank you once again MJ for lighting a BONFIRE under my A$$!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.