The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Light Went On In My Head

Anything related to matters of the mind

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
Something interesting happened to me today, and keep in mind it was Saturday (now early Sunday morning) as I write this.

I repair dental handpieces (drills), and a lady from a tattoo shop called asking if I knew how to fix dental chairs. I told her I didn't know about them, but while on the phone, I thought maybe I could get the make and model, and see if I could download some documentation. I also thought of someone I knew that did repair these, and gave her the guy's phone number. I told her, if she didn't contact him, to call me back and I would see if I could figure out a way to help her.

Before the conversation was over, she told me I was a 'Godsend', and seemed so happy even though I didn't give her any assistance aside from providing contact information for someone who also does the same repairs I do (handpieces), but has more knowledge and the experience to fix the items specific to her request. I told her to call me back if she didn't get in contact with this guy, and I was going to see if I could get the information on the chair in order to figure out how to fix it.

She never called me back, so I assume she was able to contact the guy who routinely works on this type of equipment. Long story short, I didn't actually help this lady, but I have a good feeling knowing she found someone who could help her, especially on the weekend. I told her to contact me regardless if she did or did not find help, but never heard back from her. Anyway, I feel good about myself for giving it my best shot. Yeah, I got a slowlane business, but even as hard headed as I am, I'm starting to figure things out.

I've read enough posts on this forum in the short time I've been here to see the light bulb going on in my head to figure out what this stuff is really supposed to be all about!

I'm a newbie, so I'll shut up with this, and no further rambling, but just thought I'd pass this along.

(Hope this is the right forum topic, but hell, I'm just a damn newbie!)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
You told her to contact you if she didn't get ahold of the guy then you say you told her to contact you whether or not she contacted the other guy. Why would she contact you if she already got help?

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
You told her to contact you if she didn't get ahold of the guy then you say you told her to contact you whether or not she contacted the other guy. Why would she contact you if she already got help?

I wanted her to call me back if she couldn't get hold of this guy, as I intended to go to her business and see if I could fix the problem. I just wanted her to call back and let me know she got someone to take care of the problem.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I wanted her to call me back if she couldn't get hold of this guy, as I intended to go to her business and see if I could fix the problem. I just wanted her to call back and let me know she got someone to take care of the problem.
I see, so what was the lightbulb moment? To have a business redirecting clients to people who can solve their problem? Where you're generating leads for other businesses.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
I see, so what was the lightbulb moment? To have a business redirecting clients to people who can solve their problem? Where you're generating leads for other businesses.

Just for your information, genius, I happen to know the guy I referred her to. He was willing to teach me how to repair autoclaves (sterilizers), but at the time, I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to this, as I was just starting building my own business, and was focusing on my own area of knowledge which I've now built a good repeat customer base on. I didn't have any qualms of referring her to him for assistance, as his expertise was in the repair of chairs. My primary concern was HELPING her with HER problem.

Last edited:

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
I feel nostalgic reading this post after spending 11 years with people in the dental industry (and my father started his own business since and is still in business).

You are doing the right thing, helping 2 people at a time: the customer got served and you gave a lead to your fellow. Without chasing the money. Not sold lead but you will still get it back. You gave before you get.

And as you are not direct competitors so you can work together in the same market. This is what I've seen in my country. Maybe you could just call the other guy and just ask whether the lady had contacted him and he could help. If you are seen as the person who helps, they'll think about you when they need .. help! And then they'll have the money ready :)

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Just for your information, genius, I happen to know the guy I referred her to. He was willing to teach me how to repair autoclaves (sterilizers), but at the time, I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to this, as I was just starting building my own business, and was focusing on my own area of knowledge which I've now built a good repeat customer base on. I didn't have any qualms of referring her to him for assistance, as his expertise was in the repair of chairs. My primary concern was HELPING her with HER problem.
That's totally fine, easy there buddy. I was just curious, I'm not making any judgements. You can actually get paid to give businesses leads if you have an agreement with them. I was wondering if that's what you wanted to do because I didn't understand the idea but good for you.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
I know what you mean mate. It's not only satisfying to help someone else, but it gives you the right mindset to help people solve their problems even if in this instance, you're not make a dollar on it.

I do it all the time with my business. I can spend 20 minutes helping someone over the phone knowing that due to their circumstances, they won't be doing business with me at the time. But they need help, I know how to help them, so I do.

And besides, you can be sure these people will think of you and most likely even recommend you to someone else in the future.

As Maya Angelou said -

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Last edited:

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
That's totally fine, easy there buddy. I was just curious, I'm not making any judgements. You can actually get paid to give businesses leads if you have an agreement with them. I was wondering if that's what you wanted to do because I didn't understand the idea but good for you.
Thank you. It's not easy to convey complete ideas and thoughts posting in a forum. It's not like a couple guys actually sitting down over a beer and conversing back and forth!

Sometimes I wonder why I got into this profession, but it's the result of layoff and having to had to make a fast decision based on options I had, and time constraints. I DID NOT want to go back into corporate bullshit life. LOL...I learned this profession after a 6 day training course, and learned a hell of a lot more on the job experience and listening to people. I'm glad I got laid off! I'm a hell of a lot happier, but now I just need to figure out how I can scale something to take the next step.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
I feel nostalgic reading this post after spending 11 years with people in the dental industry (and my father started his own business since and is still in business).

You are doing the right thing, helping 2 people at a time: the customer got served and you gave a lead to your fellow. Without chasing the money. Not sold lead but you will still get it back. You gave before you get.

And as you are not direct competitors so you can work together in the same market. This is what I've seen in my country. Maybe you could just call the other guy and just ask whether the lady had contacted him and he could help. If you are seen as the person who helps, they'll think about you when they need .. help! And then they'll have the money ready :)

A good example of this, is a guy that called me about air compressors. I don't know a damn thing about fixing them, but I offered to look at it. I didn't think about money. I was more scared about how I was going to fix the problem. I even called relatives to see if they knew anything about these. Anyway, it turns out, the guy who's wife is the dentist, had figured it out. Just the fact I told him I was willing to check it out, got me the business with his wife fixing her handpieces. I can't complain about that.

By the way, I know the guy who I referred her to, so I can check with him to see if she got the help she needed.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Thank you. It's not easy to convey complete ideas and thoughts posting in a forum. It's not like a couple guys actually sitting down over a beer and conversing back and forth!

Sometimes I wonder why I got into this profession, but it's the result of layoff and having to had to make a fast decision based on options I had, and time constraints. I DID NOT want to go back into corporate bullshit life. LOL...I learned this profession after a 6 day training course, and learned a hell of a lot more on the job experience and listening to people. I'm glad I got laid off! I'm a hell of a lot happier, but now I just need to figure out how I can scale something to take the next step.
No problem man, I wish you the best. You're on the right track.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
I've never heard of him, but I'll check this out. All I can say is, I don't intend to be one of the 90% who's business fails after 5 years. I'm on my 4 1/2 year mark now, so I figure I can last for another 6 months and beat the odds :smoking:
With this mindset I have very little doubts! :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I've read enough posts on this forum in the short time I've been here to see the light bulb going on in my head to figure out what this stuff is really supposed to be all about!
The light-bulb moment was helping people. How did you miss that?

Awesome link. Thanks. Rep+

Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
The light-bulb moment was helping people. How did you miss that?

Awesome link. Thanks. Rep+
I was more focused on reading the mechanics of what he was doing, my bad.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another interesting thing about the moment is how you felt. You provided value and felt good about it. The mechanics of the value wasn't as important. In other words, you don't need to "do what you love" to feel great about what you do.

Just for your information, genius

Pay no attention to Luffy. Most of the "Huh???" comments on the forum come from him.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
I've never heard of him, but I'll check this out. All I can say is, I don't intend to be one of the 90% who's business fails after 5 years. I'm on my 4 1/2 year mark now, so I figure I can last for another 6 months and beat the odds :smoking:
Jay has been around doing marketing courses/products for decades and you'll find a heap of successful marketers who've gone through them. Plus many imitators.

Stealth Marketing is his finest book in my opinion but even now it is listed from $300+ going by a quick search. Back in the 90s it was $1000 for the print copy. But like many authors he has various titles with overlapping topics and the free resource kit on his site is a nice start. The Sticking Point Solution is a useful read available free for download from his site resources or $7 on Kindle if it suits.

Your situation reminded me of the start of Stealth Marketing-

Chapter One: Seven Marketing Concepts They Won’t Teach You at Harvard Business School
Concept Number One: People are silently begging to be led. They are crying out to know more about a business’ product or service.

When you educate your customers, you’ll see your profits soar. Think about your own experience. When you consider buying any item or service — for yourself, your home, for your family, as a gift, or for your business — you often don’t know as much about the product as you would like to. And, if you have unanswered questions about a product, you’re less likely to shell out money to buy it. Yet, when a company or salesperson takes the time and initiative to objectively educate you about all the products in the field you’re making a purchase in, they gain your trust and favor immediately. Your reaction to being educated is not unusual. Education is a powerful marketing technique. Educate your prospective buyers about everything (including a few of the bad or less positive aspects of your product or service) and you’ll sell to almost twice as many people as you do now. This one concept-educating your customer-will gain you a dramatic advantage over your competitors.

Concept Number Two: Tell people what specific action to take.
Few businesses realize that they must lead the customer to action, in addition to developing a compelling marketing plan. People need to be explicitly told how to act to obtain your product or service. Therefore — and this is incredibly important — every sales call, letter, commercial, or personal contact should make the case for your product. Give prospects a brief education, then take them by the hand, figuratively speaking, and tell them what specific action to take next. If you’re selling an impulse item, and/or if the offer is for a limited time, tell your prospect to get in touch with you immediately. And don’t be abstract. If you deal by phone, tell them to pick up the phone and call a specific number.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
Another interesting thing about the moment is how you felt. You provided value and felt good about it. The mechanics of the value wasn't as important. In other words, you don't need to "do what you love" to feel great about what you do.

Pay no attention to Luffy. Most of the "Huh???" comments on the forum come from him.

LOL...If I say something stupid, I deserve every bit if ridicule I get. On the other hand, if I'm trying to contribute, and get some off handed comment directed back my way, I'm gonna fire back with both barrels!

I'm treading with caution on this forum, and absorbing all I can get. I feel honored speaking to people here, and I'm not wanting to incur the wrath of those who are much further ahead of the game than I am.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
That wasn't necessary for you to post, it was a simple misunderstanding.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
Jay has been around doing marketing courses/products for decades and you'll find a heap of successful marketers who've gone through them. Plus many imitators.

Stealth Marketing is his finest book in my opinion but even now it is listed from $300+ going by a quick search. Back in the 90s it was $1000 for the print copy. But like many authors he has various titles with overlapping topics and the free resource kit on his site is a nice start. The Sticking Point Solution is a useful read available free for download from his site resources or $7 on Kindle if it suits.

Your situation reminded me of the start of Stealth Marketing-

Chapter One: Seven Marketing Concepts They Won’t Teach You at Harvard Business School
Concept Number One: People are silently begging to be led. They are crying out to know more about a business’ product or service.

When you educate your customers, you’ll see your profits soar. Think about your own experience. When you consider buying any item or service — for yourself, your home, for your family, as a gift, or for your business — you often don’t know as much about the product as you would like to. And, if you have unanswered questions about a product, you’re less likely to shell out money to buy it. Yet, when a company or salesperson takes the time and initiative to objectively educate you about all the products in the field you’re making a purchase in, they gain your trust and favor immediately. Your reaction to being educated is not unusual. Education is a powerful marketing technique. Educate your prospective buyers about everything (including a few of the bad or less positive aspects of your product or service) and you’ll sell to almost twice as many people as you do now. This one concept-educating your customer-will gain you a dramatic advantage over your competitors.

Concept Number Two: Tell people what specific action to take.
Few businesses realize that they must lead the customer to action, in addition to developing a compelling marketing plan. People need to be explicitly told how to act to obtain your product or service. Therefore — and this is incredibly important — every sales call, letter, commercial, or personal contact should make the case for your product. Give prospects a brief education, then take them by the hand, figuratively speaking, and tell them what specific action to take next. If you’re selling an impulse item, and/or if the offer is for a limited time, tell your prospect to get in touch with you immediately. And don’t be abstract. If you deal by phone, tell them to pick up the phone and call a specific number.

Oh, I remember someone in one of the gold threads commenting on paying someone $1000 for a seminar and mentioning the value vs. cost. It had to do with marketing and copy writing I believe. Maybe he was referring to Jay. Thanks and I'll also check this out.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Oh, I remember someone in one of the gold threads commenting on paying someone $1000 for a seminar and mentioning the value vs. cost. It had to do with marketing and copy writing I believe. Maybe he was referring to Jay. Thanks and I'll also check this out.
Oh plenty of guys selling high priced seminars around and $1000 would be at the lower end for some of the better known guys. I think Jay used to do $10,000 and $25,000 seminars well over a decade ago. Selling a $1000 book was a bit more rare though.

You can get most of the info for a fraction of the cost via their print material in most cases. Or often via one of the notetaking services fairly cheaply. I personally edit any book I particularly like down to a couple of versions, mostly around 5-10 pages at the most basic version. Stealth Marketing runs to about 380 pages but even my heavily edited version only got down to 97 pages before I couldn't really edit any more out.

Dan Kennedy is another guy who has a heap of stuff out there on similar topics. Any of his No BS Series books on Amazon are a good cheap intro, "Business Success" and "Price Strategy" being two of the best. Just ignore the upsells every few pages if you want-he didn't get rich by selling $10 kindle books.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.