The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Licensing Celebrities Images

DangerousDave

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 12, 2018
Upper Peninsula, MI
My understanding is:
If I were to take a stock photo of some celebrity (let's say Kobe Bryant for example), and use it to draw a picture of him, and try to sell it commercially, I could get into legal trouble. Correct?
.. . Because he did not sign off or license it?

If that assumption is correct, using the above example, let's say I wanted to draw pictures of lots of NBA players and sell them, I would need to get licensing, right? Would that be through the NBA organization, or through the individual players?

And if I did want such licensing, does anybody have any idea of what that kind of licensing costs? I would guess it would depend on who you're drawing?
And short of that, does anybody know how to find out that information?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Read through the answers here:
Can I sell my own artwork depicting a celebrity - Q&A - Avvo

From what I've read, it seems that celebrities have what's called a "Right of Publicity," which is the celebrity's exclusive legal right to use their own image for commercial gain.

If you're wanting to sell a t-shirt with a player on it, you'll probably need to license both their celebrity image and the logo's on their jersey's. I don't know if the NBA already licenses or controls the rights to their player's images while playing the sport, but here's the NBA license application:
NBA.com: NBA License Application

As someone who is pursuing a license deal (not with athletes), I can tell you that as someone with no prior experience, they won't even give you the time of day. A company as large as the NBA will have ridiculous (7 figure?) minimum guarantees on their licenses.

NOW, since you mentioned Stock Photos, you'll need to be specific. On Shutterstock, for example, you can purchase a stock photo with commercial rights to profit from the image and use it for commercial purposes. I don't think I've ever seen celebrity's on there, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I suppose that could be a legal work-around. If the stock photo company truly has the right to sell that image and provide the commercial use of it, then I would think that you'd be covered. Ask a lawyer.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Read through the answers here:
Can I sell my own artwork depicting a celebrity - Q&A - Avvo

From what I've read, it seems that celebrities have what's called a "Right of Publicity," which is the celebrity's exclusive legal right to use their own image for commercial gain.

If you're wanting to sell a t-shirt with a player on it, you'll probably need to license both their celebrity image and the logo's on their jersey's. I don't know if the NBA already licenses or controls the rights to their player's images while playing the sport, but here's the NBA license application:
NBA.com: NBA License Application

As someone who is pursuing a license deal (not with athletes), I can tell you that as someone with no prior experience, they won't even give you the time of day. A company as large as the NBA will have ridiculous (7 figure?) minimum guarantees on their licenses.

NOW, since you mentioned Stock Photos, you'll need to be specific. On Shutterstock, for example, you can purchase a stock photo with commercial rights to profit from the image and use it for commercial purposes. I don't think I've ever seen celebrity's on there, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I suppose that could be a legal work-around. If the stock photo company truly has the right to sell that image and provide the commercial use of it, then I would think that you'd be covered. Ask a lawyer.

Solid response

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.