The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Leaving science for entrepreneurship

cvw

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 28, 2018
Hi all,

I am a 23 year old graduate student in a top 10 university in the US. I've been pursuing a career in academia with the goal of eventually patenting some of my work and starting a spin-off company. Lately, I've become more aware of the issues with this approach, namely that it requires a 10-20 year time commitment and that pretty much all academic startups violate MJ's commandment of control. Also working in academia is a total nightmare.
I recently had my FTE from medical issues and the resulting costs incurred. I realized I need to start pursuing my goals now, both because life is short and because I need to provide for members of my family.
In the short term, I've decided to leave my program and work on freelancing or getting a slowlane job. I have several years of experience writing desktop software. I'm curious how quickly people have been able to get a freelancing career started. I have about two months of runway where I can continue to collect paychecks while doing virtually no work. Has anyone on here been able to get a decent freelance income in that sort of time frame? My other alternative is to get a slowlane software job and work on entrepreneurship on the side.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DannyD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Dec 1, 2017
Latin America
My other alternative is to get a slowlane software job and work on entrepreneurship on the side.

Do this.

Don't freelance - gain experience in an industry, make connections, spot inefficiencies/gaps in the market that could lead to a business

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...