• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

INTRO Leaving science for entrepreneurship

Discussion in 'Forum Introductions (Who are you!?)' started by cvw, Jun 9, 2018.

1. cvw

cvw New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $17
    Hi all,

I am a 23 year old graduate student in a top 10 university in the US. I've been pursuing a career in academia with the goal of eventually patenting some of my work and starting a spin-off company. Lately, I've become more aware of the issues with this approach, namely that it requires a 10-20 year time commitment and that pretty much all academic startups violate MJ's commandment of control. Also working in academia is a total nightmare.
    I recently had my FTE from medical issues and the resulting costs incurred. I realized I need to start pursuing my goals now, both because life is short and because I need to provide for members of my family.
    In the short term, I've decided to leave my program and work on freelancing or getting a slowlane job. I have several years of experience writing desktop software. I'm curious how quickly people have been able to get a freelancing career started. I have about two months of runway where I can continue to collect paychecks while doing virtually no work. Has anyone on here been able to get a decent freelance income in that sort of time frame? My other alternative is to get a slowlane software job and work on entrepreneurship on the side.

NateKruse and jon.a like this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $517
    My other alternative is to get a slowlane software job and work on entrepreneurship on the side.

Do this.

Don't freelance - gain experience in an industry, make connections, spot inefficiencies/gaps in the market that could lead to a business

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.