The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Leather Manufacturing: In-House vs. Outsource?

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
So I decided that for my first real brand creation. I did some validation with aliexpress dropship and compared to all my other ventures it got good results. It is the leather/bracelet jewelry field

Did some more research and there is massive competition. I was going to start with leather bracelets with iconic metal designs to start then branch off into all leather goods, once it becomes a "brand" These competitors aren't easy by any means. They top-notch products, website, and photos. This got me down, but I am still going to try to pursue it.

I just started researching leather and it is a steep learning curve: costs, time, and knowledge to go into this if I end up manufacturing myself. It will take years for me to become an expert leather workman. There is no doubt that I can't do it, but my goal is to leave my job as soon as possible...Should I outsource a company to do it? The reason I was considering doing it in house, even though I have never cut a piece of leather was that all these high quality brands seem to all manufacture in house and that is what makes their products good.

Taking into consideration my circumstances and goals: In-House or Outsource?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
So I decided that for my first real brand creation. I did some validation with aliexpress dropship and compared to all my other ventures it got good results. It is the leather/bracelet jewelry field

Did some more research and there is massive competition. I was going to start with leather bracelets with iconic metal designs to start then branch off into all leather goods, once it becomes a "brand" These competitors aren't easy by any means. They top-notch products, website, and photos. This got me down, but I am still going to try to pursue it.

I just started researching leather and it is a steep learning curve: costs, time, and knowledge to go into this if I end up manufacturing myself. It will take years for me to become an expert leather workman. There is no doubt that I can't do it, but my goal is to leave my job as soon as possible...Should I outsource a company to do it? The reason I was considering doing it in house, even though I have never cut a piece of leather was that all these high quality brands seem to all manufacture in house and that is what makes their products good.

Taking into consideration my circumstances and goals: In-House or Outsource?
I'm currently looking for leather manufacturers for a specialty product to add to a new line. I've found a couple great ones via Instagram and am considering signing up with makersrow.com to find more. Consider outsourcing and start your search via Instagram.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
I'm currently looking for leather manufacturers for a specialty product to add to a new line. I've found a couple great ones via Instagram and am considering signing up with makersrow.com to find more. Consider outsourcing and start your search via Instagram.

All I found was a very comprehensive list of tanneries, but not manufactures. Yeah, was considering makersrow. Really Instagram? I only though leather brands (my goal) would only be there. Didn't think manufactures would be there. Thanks bud.

EDIT: Just signed up for makers row. Good stuff, just hate how its subscription based

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
All I found was a very comprehensive list of tanneries, but not manufactures. Yeah, was considering makersrow. Really Instagram? I only though leather brands (my goal) would only be there. Didn't think manufactures would be there. Thanks bud.
Oh yea. I found some insanely talented leather craftsmen there.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Oh yea. I found some insanely talented leather craftsmen there.

Eh...most of these people look like independents, looking for an actual factory. The search continues

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Oh! This is my specialty. Finally, a FLF topic I know a lot about. :smile: If you want to fast lane leather goods, you definitely need a manufacturer. It does take years to learn to do it well (Hermes apprentices start when they are somewhere around 16), and then you're still trading time for money if you're crafting everything yourself. You can do it assembly line style with low labor simple leather goods and do everything yourself and crank out more product, but then, everyone can do this, since it has a low barrier to entry, and your only edge is the race to the bottom price wise. And then you've become an assembly line worker for lower and lower wages. :thumbsdown:

I decided to exit the industry because it's like any job --time-for-money--and I read this book called The Millionaire Fastlane and I want to trade less of my time for money. :cool: Luckily I have many talents and can apply them to some FL avenues.

With leather goods, I would recommend using only US based manufacturers, and Maker's Row is the place to find them. There are also some available through Etsy Manufacturing, which is usually used for Etsy sellers, but there's nothing that says you can't sign up for an account and contact ones you like the look of. Welcome to Etsy Manufacturing – Etsy

If you have any specific questions about the specifics of making leather goods, I'd be happy to answer them.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Oh! This is my specialty. Finally, a FLF topic I know a lot about. :smile: If you want to fast lane leather goods, you definitely need a manufacturer. It does take years to learn to do it well (Hermes apprentices start when they are somewhere around 16), and then you're still trading time for money if you're crafting everything yourself. You can do it assembly line style with low labor simple leather goods and do everything yourself and crank out more product, but then, everyone can do this, since it has a low barrier to entry, and your only edge is the race to the bottom price wise. And then you've become an assembly line worker for lower and lower wages. :thumbsdown:

I decided to exit the industry because it's like any job --time-for-money--and I read this book called The Millionaire Fastlane and I want to trade less of my time for money. :cool: Luckily I have many talents and can apply them to some FL avenues.

With leather goods, I would recommend using only US based manufacturers, and Maker's Row is the place to find them. There are also some available through Etsy Manufacturing, which is usually used for Etsy sellers, but there's nothing that says you can't sign up for an account and contact ones you like the look of. Welcome to Etsy Manufacturing – Etsy

If you have any specific questions about the specifics of making leather goods, I'd be happy to answer them.

Alright awesome, never heard of etsy manufacturing. Thanks for the source!

Repped

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Thanks for the rep! And let me know if you have any questions. Seriously, for years, I've worked, ate, and slept leather.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.