Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here, and I'm looking for some feedback on an idea I have on the go.
I got a line on a significant number of very reasonably priced, brand-new HP priced laptops (about half price compared to retail) on closeout (totally legit - this wasn't from the back of a truck) but I have to act quickly if I want to buy them. I was thinking of trying to sell the laptoops on eBay, but the markups would be too low once you factor in shipping costs.
One thought I've been kicking around is a lease-to-own website where I could lease out the laptops at $10 per week for a 52-week period (this would give me a fantastic mark-up, even if the cash payouts would be staggered over a year.
A few concerns I have on this are as follows:
1) Rent-to-own market seems saturated, and I have no competitive advantage over the B&M retailers (Rent-A-Centre, Aaron's, etc...). If can set up a website on the net using a host and e-commerce storefront, but I'm not sure how to even drive traffic to the site.
In short, I just don't see the customer need for this product, even though I can get the products cheap.
2) The thought of financing these sales is worrying, since I don't have much recourse if the people stop paying. I could hire someone to repossess the laptops (assuming the customers didn't just take off with it), but who knows how much that would cost if I had a high delinquency rate.
3) I'm not sure how to proceed with the credit check process. It costs $10 every time you do a credit check, and I'm not interested in paying that for customers who probably won't proceed to buy the product.
Any thoughts or feedback? I live in Canada, and I was thinking of setting the site up to cater to Canadians.
Long time lurker here, and I'm looking for some feedback on an idea I have on the go.
I got a line on a significant number of very reasonably priced, brand-new HP priced laptops (about half price compared to retail) on closeout (totally legit - this wasn't from the back of a truck) but I have to act quickly if I want to buy them. I was thinking of trying to sell the laptoops on eBay, but the markups would be too low once you factor in shipping costs.
One thought I've been kicking around is a lease-to-own website where I could lease out the laptops at $10 per week for a 52-week period (this would give me a fantastic mark-up, even if the cash payouts would be staggered over a year.
A few concerns I have on this are as follows:
1) Rent-to-own market seems saturated, and I have no competitive advantage over the B&M retailers (Rent-A-Centre, Aaron's, etc...). If can set up a website on the net using a host and e-commerce storefront, but I'm not sure how to even drive traffic to the site.
In short, I just don't see the customer need for this product, even though I can get the products cheap.
2) The thought of financing these sales is worrying, since I don't have much recourse if the people stop paying. I could hire someone to repossess the laptops (assuming the customers didn't just take off with it), but who knows how much that would cost if I had a high delinquency rate.
3) I'm not sure how to proceed with the credit check process. It costs $10 every time you do a credit check, and I'm not interested in paying that for customers who probably won't proceed to buy the product.
Any thoughts or feedback? I live in Canada, and I was thinking of setting the site up to cater to Canadians.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
