What's new

Learning from mistakes of the past: a method

Anything related to matters of the mind

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

SoP

New Contributor
Joined
Nov 5, 2018
Messages
12
Location
Denmark
Rep Bank
$170
User Power: 200%
Hello, Fastlaners

Yesterday I was really tired after a lot of work and a lot of things going through my mind the last week.

So I did something, which was very beneficial to me.

I wanted to share the idea with you guys. Maybe it will be valuable to you too.

What I sense is common for many entrepreneurs and freelancers is that they experience a lot of changes in their life. This means a lot of feelings, experiences, people, mistakes, memories that need to be interpreted.

But to interpret big experiences and changes demands a lot of time, energy and cognitive effort.

And, to me at least, it seems easiest to just go on with life/work and not give past memories too many considerations.

It is certainly the case for me. It is like I have a blurry understanding of some events in my life. So I have been confused about how to understand some things because I haven't had the time to sort them out properly.

Therefore I decided to get an overview of my whole life so far. So I wrote down the significant periods in my life. e.g. "Studying abroad for 1-year". And then added keywords that described that period. Then what mistakes did I make? What have I learned from these mistakes?

It showed the mistakes I've made. It showed patterns of behavior. But it also showed why I did these mistakes.

It became 14 significant periods in my life

I made a structure like this:

- Name of period
- Place
- Timespan
- Year
- Keywords
- Mistakes
- Lesson Learned

So here's an example of how I set it up:

Name of the period: Studying abroad
Place: Italy
Timespan: 1 year
Year: 2010
Keywords: freedom, new friends, learning, enjoy life
Mistakes: too impulsive, over-spending
Lesson learned: being too eager can be counterproductive.

It gave me confidence and understanding of myself to write these things down. And I planning to reconsult it once in a while and maybe specify things or change words, to get it as clear as possible.

Anyone has experience with these things or have thoughts about this method, I would love to hear your inputs!

Either way, I hope it's useful to you!
 
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Xi mowi gsun upi fidotoup vu vji piyv. Mogi ot tonqmz vji uavduni ug fidotoupt nefi aq vjot quopv. Ovt ul vu jewi e vinqusesz meqti ug kafhnipv, vjev ot janep. Xi gemm opvu e qevvisp ug quus fidotoupneloph xjip vji qevvisp ug huuf fidotoup neloph ot puv e jecov. Gudat up neloph vji citv piyv fidotoup zua dep cz iwemaevoph sotlt, ettanqvoupt, ottait, fiqipfipdoit. Vji liz, juxiwis, ot vu edv! Vjev ot jux xi qsufadi uavdunit. Xi dep emxezt efkatv gosi vu vji veshiv.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SoP
Xi mowi gsun upi fidotoup vu vji piyv. Mogi ot tonqmz vji uavduni ug fidotoupt nefi aq vjot quopv. Ovt ul vu jewi e vinqusesz meqti ug kafhnipv, vjev ot janep. Xi gemm opvu e qevvisp ug quus fidotoupneloph xjip vji qevvisp ug huuf fidotoup neloph ot puv e jecov. Gudat up neloph vji citv piyv fidotoup zua dep cz iwemaevoph sotlt, ettanqvoupt, ottait, fiqipfipdoit. Vji liz, juxiwis, ot vu edv! Vjev ot jux xi qsufadi uavdunit. Xi dep emxezt efkatv gosi vu vji veshiv.

Vjeplt gus zuas vjuahjvt.

O ehsii vjev vu edv ot liz. Cav, og zua edv vji teni duapvisqsufadvowi xezt, eheop epf eheop, ov ot ug duasti puv huuf.

Vu edv ot vu wemai tunivjoph et onqusvepv/huuf (et Kusfep Qivistup ugvip quopvt uav).

Vji sietup zua edv op e disveop xez ot vjev zua cimoiwi (duptdouatmz us apduptdouatmz) vjev vji edvoup xomm hiv zua vu vji vjoph zua wemai.

Cav og vji wemai vjev ot haofoph zuas edvoupt ot uavfevif us ot onqutif up zua cz uvjist, vjip vji edvoup zua veli cidunit duapvisqsufadvowi, niepophmitt vu zua us iwip timg-fitvsadvowi.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom