The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lead Generation Site - Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla or other?

Burko

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
I am looking to develop a lead generation site to create leads for service providers.

The site would find local service providers based on the post code of the potential customer.
There will be multiple types of service provider.
The customer will be able to search for a service provider of the kind they are after that is located close to their required location.

Once the list of service providers in their area are displayed they have the ability to send a text message to the service provider. The service provider then has the option to reject the job by sending a 'no' response to the text message or to receive the lead and contact the customer.

The service provider will pay a fee for the lead when they receive it.

I have basic PHP skills, average HTML skills and average CSS skills although I am happy to put the time in required to learn the required skills. I have some experience with Drupal and limited experience with others.

My questions are:

What would be the most suitable CMS to develop this site?
What modules are available in these CMS products to assist?

I have seen posts recommending Drupal and Wordpress for a lead gen site. I do not want to limit the potential development of the site in the future.

I appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Like home advisor? I wouldn't build something like that off a cms personally. There are lead management platforms you can license and stitch to a front end though

Burko

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
Thanks LightHouse.
Home Advisor looks great, that is the type of site I would like to develop.
Why not through a CMS?
What lead management platforms are you aware of?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
There are quite a few sites like homeadvisor out there, I do not know how saturated the market is in Australia, but don't get yourself into an uphill battle. A lot of those companies have huge ad budgets and lots of people working in them. Hopefully you have a new angle on all of this and aren't trying to build a "me too" service.

I wouldn't build it on a CMS because you are not managing content, you are trying to accomplish something totally different, so no point in hacking through code that is for a different use vs building something for the exact purpose you need it for.

I am aware of several, but this is the part where you need to do your own due diligence. I am not here to hand you the answers.

fukrs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 8, 2013
AW: Lead Generation Site - Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla or other?

Use drupal you can do everything you want to do with it.

Check out rules and private message and flag module to achieve that functionality

Joomla and WordPress are far behind and not ment to be for a site where users can interact with each other

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Burko

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
Thanks for your feedback LightHouse. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
I am not looking to create a me too service.
I will be looking at providing content as well as providing a lead service, there will be other types of revenue generating service to be included in my site as well.
The Australian market has very limited services in the area that I am looking to develop my site and I believe that I can provide a lot of value with my site.

Burko

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2011
Sydney Australia
Thank you fukrs.
The modules you have recommended are exactly what I was looking for.
I was leaning towards Drupal and you have confirmed my thoughts.
MJ had mentioned in a post 2 years ago that if he was going to build another lead generation site he would use Drupal, but others had recommended Wordpress.
I really appreciate your help with these modules as the Drupal site can be very difficult to search unless you know exactly what wording to use to get the best modules.

fukrs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 8, 2013
AW: Lead Generation Site - Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla or other?

If you need further help with drupal contact me in Skype.

Emad

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 24, 2014
All are good solutions, but I am a die hard WordPress fan. WordPress is just so easy to use and with so many great addons you can pretty much accomplish anything and its very simple to use. Most clients can use the admin areas easily to manage content. There are some resources helping you have a right choice when choosing your needed CMS. A comparison of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal is availabe on http://www.threehosts.com/ratings/comparison-software/wordpress-vs-joomla-vs-drupal.html. There is also a useful article on http://www.dobizon9.com/webdesigning/cms/187-wordpress-vs-joomla-vs-drupal.html. You can also use demo account of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal via their official websites to see one of them is proper for you.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
If you want to prove the concept/market first, then probably a good landing page (which you can create using Unbounce.com) would probably work ok. I'd do everything manually before spending time on automating.

Nathan Malone

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 10, 2010
I know this is an older post, but when developing a website, you should generally:

1) Write out complete specs for what features/functionality you need

2) Figure out the best platform, cms, etc. to accomplish the goals for the project.

Also, I would get the design done first (either a custom design, or an existing Drupal or Wordpress theme) before starting on the backend coding in PHP or whatever language you choose to use.

As a PHP developer myself, one of the biggest mistakes clients make is either not having clear written project specs, or changing the specs as the project goes on.

To answer the original question, though, from what you posted, I would recommend a custom solution using some PHP MVC framework. Using WordPress or Drupal could possibly even slow down the project, given the details you posted in the original post. You could proceed something like this:

1) Finish writing out complete specs
2) Get the design for the site done somewhere like 99designs.com
3) Get the design coded up in HTML/CSS/Javascript/Images by somewhere like psd2html.com
4) Implement the backend yourself using a PHP MVC framework, and integrating it with a texting service API

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.