The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launching a food product (snack)

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Advice and/or ideas on the following would be highly appreciated:

A new variation of a snack.
The snack is already in production, being sold locally and has popular demand.
The recipe is invented by my former boss who owns a restaurant, where they sell the product in cheap disposable plastic bags.
They have customers visiting them specifically for this snack.

The thought that came to mind is to make the product available throughout the whole country, either with a webshop or possibly by using retailers/supermarkets IF demand is high enough (even though this is far fetched for now).
This can be a huge process, including setting up a corporation, branding, marketing, shipping and tons of other things (recyclable product packaging and what not).
I imagined setting up a new corp. specifically for this product to be wisest in order to keep the process separated from the restaurant.

Regarding branding and marketing, sites such as Upwork will be used to have designs created for the logo, website and packaging. The product will be made locally, so outsourcing production is not (yet) on the table.

There are some relevant posts on the forum regarding supplement products, however nothing regarding a "fresh" snack.

The main issues have been tackled, so to speak, since the product is already being made and sold; customers are loving it.

Does anyone have any similar experience in launching a food product?
Keep the product local or would there be potential in launching it nationally/throughout the country?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roots

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 6, 2016
I do not have experience with this though I would be interested to find out how you do and what direction you take. Congrats on taking the first steps.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
I do not have experience with this though I would be interested to find out how you do and what direction you take. Congrats on taking the first steps.
Thanks!
I looked into the ways to distribute the product and to which customers (restaurants, local markets etc).
After doing some calculations I found out that a (food) product like this has just too little margin to be able to make this into a success. I'd have to sell thousands to compensate for distribution costs to actually make a profit, which could take years.
That's why I decided to drop the idea.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
First you should get a lawyer to protect your intellectual property, do an FDA review on your product labels, and get product liability insurance before you scale it up to protect yourself from lawsuits.

And also learn about co-packing, because you will need legit kitchens to make the product (at massive scale).

You can take any product national/global, as long as the market accepts it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.