The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Last Day on my Slowlane Job

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

sethnejame

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Over at my Progress Thread: Angel Eyes, I briefly touched on who I am and where I work. While my Angel Eyes concept has been experiencing technical difficulties, I have learned quite a bit in the process and made a ton of progress despite the fact that I work about 80 hours a week at my main job.

Today marks my last day on my Slowlane Job. I have spent the last 6 months of my life making another television executive rich. I have spent 6 months of my precious, priceless time that I will never get back, helping one or two high-powered executives make payments on their 3rd or 4th vacation homes, yachts, mistresses, prescription drug habits, etc. Today, I will walk away from this crumbling empire and never look back. Ever.

This had filled me with a profound sense of melancholy that I thought I'd share with the rest of you here on the forum. I've been coming here every day since October, since I started reading TMF and learning a lot about the way the world works, myself, and others. After I put down the book, I felt as if I had stepped out of the matrix and saw the world for the way it really was, and the way truly wealthy people really work and think. I also thought about the amount of time I've wasted on the countless odd jobs I've worked throughout my life, from telemarketing to butchering to cooking to waiting tables. . .and so many more. . . I'm almost 28 now and I only wish that I would have come across the book sooner, or at least had the chance to run into some of you guys, to realize what I'd been doing wrong this whole time and learn from all of you.

It has been an incredible journey thus far, and as I look into the new year, I know that I will never be able to work another job like this again. I can't waste any more time on a 9-5 (or a 7-7:00 in my case) making someone else's dream happen. The Millionaire Fastlane has completely re-calibrated my perception, and I can no longer go back to the old way of thinking. It creates a cognitive dissonance.

I moved to Los Angeles about 3 years ago and fell into working in reality television. Back then, I had just arrived via motorcycle from Florida, stars in my eyes and ready to get a big-boy job as a writer. I actually wrote, produced a trailer for and starred in a screenplay I wrote about a guy and his motorcycle called "American Badass" which you can see on Youtube here. This was my idea of the fastlane, but I had abandoned it yet again to be another cog in someone else's machine.

I have met some interesting folks while in the industry, clawed my way up to management through blood, backbreaking labor and tears. Can't tell you how many times I've been screamed at by producers and/or executives who didn't get their coffee in time, or their sacred tea from India, harvested by blind virgins and mixed with gorilla eyelashes and sold at one F*cking non-descript hippie shop in Oregon at exorbitant prices. I mean, come on, really?

If you're reading this and you are currently in a similar situation, get the hell out as soon as you can. Or build your wealth vehicle starting today, and exit as soon as you can. There is nothing on this Earth worth more than your time, and the more you waste on your soul-sucking job, the more life and opportunity slips through your fingers like so much sand.

And all of this for extremely low wages. If you factor the amount of time I work and the salary, I make just above minimum wage. And as per MJ's reference in is book, instead of trading 5 days for 2, I have been trading 6 days for 1, and sometimes even 7 days for 0. The side effect of working in this industry is that you get so stressed during with week from working with the most vile of people and hair-thin deadlines, that you go out and drink/eat your face off to alleviate the pain. I've been fairly decent about not taking this to extremes, but it has happened more often than not toward the end of the gig and I've had to step back a few times and say "Whoa buddy, take a breather. You're almost done."

So here I am. The light at the end of the tunnel. My pockets are a little fatter, but at what expense? The stress has put bags under my eyes, weight on my stomach (despite countless hours at the gym/kickboxing) and nothing, no vehicle to show for it.

This is my vow to never again fall for the slowlane hype. It's complete and total bullshit.

From this point onward, even if I go poor trying, I will endeavor to be a producer, not a consumer. I will focus only on my dreams and the way I want to live my life, instead of living a slow death at someone else's Fastlane. Never again. Life is too short.

I would like to thank everyone here for their support with my projects and sharing their quests with everyone else, so that we may all prosper, learn and grow together. And most especially MJ for getting us all together in one place to create this wonderful environment. Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved to outside.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
What are you doing for money?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Sorry I meant what will you do for money after you quit? Are you quitting because you have money coming in from a fastlane idea?

sethnejame

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 24, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
No income as of yet. I will be living off savings until I get my Fastlane idea off the ground. In the meanwhile I have been experimenting selling things via eBay and Amazon to get the swing of things. I actually decided on a product to import, as Vigilante describes in his Addicted to Passive Income thread, to sell here in the US. I have already ordered a sample shipment from a manufacturer in China which should be here in a couple of weeks.

Because I will have so much newfound time, I can dedicate it to building an online presence for my products, expedite the prototype process for AE and start selling other products via my website, http://www.areyouasaferider.com, which will soon be upgraded with an online storefront.

The niche I found is in the same vein as my motorcycle gadget, Angel Eyes, and will help keep other riders like myself safe, so it serves a pretty good need in the market and the size of the market that exists already isn't over saturated with other sellers and products. There is a small amount of competition in other words. Entry into this market is fairly difficult which should make it pretty exciting and helps weed out action fakers. I will be posting an update in my progress thread as we move forward through the holidays, pending the arrival of my first sample shipment of product.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Cool seems you have something set up and some savings to tide you over, your ecommerce shop for motorbike safety sounds good too!

Good luck and hope you make it! Keep us updated

Soothesayer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2013
Dug the video until YT ruined it by spamming ads all over it. Is there a way to disable them?

Cool video though, from what little I saw. Good luck in your endeavors.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.