The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Land

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
I have recently inherited an acre of farmland.
At the moment around here rental prices are low per acre and more money can be made in other ways.
My current idea is to set up a campsite as I am near the coast and is in a quiet location in the countryside. If I go down this road I could expand it out to a glazing site or caravans etc...
Any other thoughts and input are appreciated.
Hope this is posted in the correct place?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any laws? Regulations? Ordinances in your city/state/country? That will determine if it is even possible, or if you need to have a zoning change.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Yep. Take a big look at water, sewer, septic requirements for your land.

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
I can have up to 5 mobile caravans without planning permission and has to be unoccupied for 2 months of the year, that is no big problem as winters are not that nice here so it would be a spring to autumn operation. In the winter months I could probably offer storage?

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
As for water I have my own water main nearby which I can pipe over to the field. maybe I could hire chemical toilets for the time being then build a proper toilet/wash block in the future? Need to get going and see how the ship foats.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
I have recently inherited an acre of farmland.
At the moment around here rental prices are low per acre and more money can be made in other ways.
My current idea is to set up a campsite as I am near the coast and is in a quiet location in the countryside. If I go down this road I could expand it out to a glazing site or caravans etc...
Any other thoughts and input are appreciated.
Hope this is posted in the correct place?

What a cool place to be in, though I would be tempted just to build a cabin in the middle of it and stay there.

As for your idea, have looked into installing electrical hookups? Even very basic campsites often have an outlet or two. Additionally, how far away are you from a Wal Mart (RVs often like to overnight in Wal Mart parking lots)? If there is no big box store nearby, would you set up your own 'Tuck' shop in the park?

Very curious to see how this progresses!

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
What a cool place to be in, though I would be tempted just to build a cabin in the middle of it and stay there.

As for your idea, have looked into installing electrical hookups? Even very basic campsites often have an outlet or two. Additionally, how far away are you from a Wal Mart (RVs often like to overnight in Wal Mart parking lots)? If there is no big box store nearby, would you set up your own 'Tuck' shop in the park?

Is there anything special about this land that would allow you to market an RV on AirBnb?

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
All these other ideas will take time and money, so take the time to do the maths.

In the meantime, don't let that fertile land go to waste. With such a small area you would be best to grow a high value crop and sell at retail.
I suggest pet rocks.

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
Air Bed and Breakfast. Airbnb.com

Where is your land located?
That's good.
My land is located in West Wales in the UK, Google Llangranog and see what the area looks like.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
That's good.
My land is located in West Wales in the UK, Google Llangranog and see what the area looks like.

Listen to Biggermac, there are some crazy profits being made by people using Airbnb, check out the site, and Google "unusual Airbnb stays" and check out the competition.

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
I had a look at the AirBnb site and have picked up a lot of ideas from there. Its a bit late in the season for me to set up a cabin or something like that as il need to find out what permission is needed from the council etc. But pretty sure that all going well that is the way forward.

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales

There is a shop and a pub/restaurant nearby.
I have looked in to installing electric hookups ( a friend of mine has a caravan park and he gave me a run-through of how his works). I think I may go down the "glamping" route and offer a bit of uniqueness. There are plenty of city folk who want to come and rough it in the countryside all be it in a bit of comfort at the same time
I have a composting toilet in the making.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.