The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Labor intensive business idea

Idea threads

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
Fastlaners,
I have an idea for those who may be interested. It's not a new concept, but one that is in demand, and not too much supply.

Construction site cleanup.

Many times, people who flip homes like it to be spick and span after they are done renovating. This includes cleaning up any construction equipment left over/saw dust/mopping floors/etc. As someone who is in this industry myself, I am in a group with other local investors. The other day, someone posted in the group asking for recommendations for this sort of business. To my surprise, about 10 other people commented saying something along the lines of "following this post, need a similar service".

No one ever commented to recommend an actual service to do it.

If you're looking for a business to start with little overhead, this may be a good idea for those looking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Just keep in mind franchising or chaining this would be the only way to make it fastlane. Otherwise you'll be stuck in the midst of other small businesses in the same boat.

Not a bad a model to start gathering some starter funds but not something I'd probably want to go all in on.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
Just keep in mind franchising or chaining this would be the only way to make it fastlane. Otherwise you'll be stuck in the midst of other small businesses in the same boat.

Not a bad a model to start gathering some starter funds but not something I'd probably want to go all in on.
Sometimes I think fastlane thinking can actually hurt rather than help. Often times, the best option is to start. No matter what business it is, starting something is better than not. Business evolves over time. As someone who owns a pressure washing company, it was not the ideal "fastlane" business. However, It proved very beneficial, as it has amassed funds that have allowed me to go in different directions.

The idea is for someone who: is young and looking to get started or someone who has a low paying-job that wants an out.

It's something that there is demand for, that will give business experience, and has scaling potential. Just because it's not as easy to scale as a web-design business, does not make it bad. In fact, that actually makes it good. Because it makes CENTS even more difficult to obtain. Therefore, making the barrier to entry actually much more difficult.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
As someone who owns a pressure washing company, it was not the ideal "fastlane" business.

Do you value this idea more than pressure and soft washing? I am curious to hear your thoughts on your current industry.

Pressure washing is almost like the go-to-sell/get-rich-quick scheme coming up to people for starting a small business recently.

Heck on any reddit thread asking about becoming an entrepreneur there is always a pressure washing shill.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Feb 15, 2019
Do you value this idea more than pressure and soft washing? I am curious to hear your thoughts on your current industry.

Pressure washing is almost like the go-to-sell/get-rich-quick scheme coming up to people for starting a small business recently.

Heck on any reddit thread asking about becoming an entrepreneur there is always a pressure washing shill.
It's not an idea I am personally going to switch to. Mainly because I have been running this business for a year and a 1/2. With employees and such in place, it wouldn't make sense to go in a different direction.

I think it could work better than pressure washing depending on the area you live in. Being in South Carolina, there is a big demand for pressure washing as it is the perfect environment for algae and such to grow on houses. However, if you live up north, or maybe even out west, pressure washing may not be in such a high demand.

The main benefit I see in this business is a few things.
1. competition is minimal, at least in my area.
2. It gets you in cahoots with many wealthy investors as these would be the main clientele. They could fund future ventures, provide advice for building a business, etc.
3. There is an actual demand for it. Most of these guys want to get a house renovated, pull their crew out so they can get them over to the next house as fast as possible, then sell the house.

Pressure washing is a great business. It's something people want, it's easy, easily teachable to future employees, and the competition absolutely sucks. But I'm also aware it may not work in every area of the world due to climate circumstances.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It's something that there is demand for, that will give business experience, and has scaling potential. Just because it's not as easy to scale as a web-design business, does not make it bad. In fact, that actually makes it good. Because it makes CENTS even more difficult to obtain. Therefore, making the barrier to entry actually much more difficult.
I agree with @Parks that scaling such a business by franchising it would be a good way to go. There would be costs involved due to having to meet regulation requirements, but a franchise operation can quickly become fastlane.

Finding and keeping good employees for labor intensive businesses can be a real headache, but franchisees have skin in the game, so they will work much harder for you than most employees will. They want their business to succeed. Your Operations Manual will teach them how.

The beauty of franchising is that your franchisees pay you for the privilege of earning money for you.

See: Rapid Scaling a business by franchising

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.