The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just Quit my Job to Start a Cleaning Company

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Been on these forums for awhile now and I've spent a considerable amount of time contemplating and analyzing what I wanna do and when I should do it.

I've received timeless advice and wisdom from several members here, I've also gotten into many verbal internet battles, which I'm not proud of and cringe when reading lol.

I've also realized I'm the paralysis by analysis type. I love overanalyzing and overthinking shit, or starting something and then quitting once I discover something else that grabs my interest.

I've been working a corporate 9-5 job, making OK money for my age (I'm 22) and for me being a college dropout.

Only problem is, I've never been more miserable in my life.

I hate to sound like a "I'm a special snowflake" guy, but I just can't do this shit. I don't even know how other people do it.

Yesterday I finally said F*ck it and put in my 3 weeks out of respect. I'm going to start a Maid services business, this is my final definite decision.

During the day I will be working on the business, during the night I will be working as a janitor or security guard to support myself financially and be able to survive.

Yes I'm only 22, have no experience, let emotions get the best of me sometimes, have anxiety, a tendency to over-analyze everything, know nothing about running a business, etc.

I just don't care anymore. I NEED to go out and face my fears, I F*cking need to go out and help people and inspire people by not letting fear get the best of me, I need to do what I've been wanting to do rather than just doing what's expected of me.

Wish me luck, I'll try my best to document everything and help others too. God bless you guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Why cleaning?

There aren't many start-up costs associated with starting a Maid business. Also, some of the nicest and most down-to-earth people I've come across in life have been Janitors and Maids. Being able to provide them with a better life and more money would make me happy

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Have you gotten your first sale?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
What will you do next to get your first sale?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You have more than I had when I started my house cleaning company. I didn't really even have a plan for 30 minutes from now and I think my life turned out half way decent. lol

As for people calling and wanting a price, I would never give a price over the phone. This is just 1 of the reasons I left the business. How could I give a price when I haven't seen the house? Will the first time in take 5 man hours or 20 man hours? Who knows until you've seen it. I do realize you need a website and you will need to make it so they can get a price from your site. Expect to get SCREWED when you don't see the house first.

For bids that you go on in person make yourself a sheet that has blanks for 1st time in price and regular weekly/bi-weekly/every 4 week price (we had a silver plan and a gold plan so they had 2 different things to choose from). Monthly plans will screw your schedule up if it is just you cleaning. Even once we got several workers, we still stuck with the every 4 weeks instead of monthly. Have spaces for their name, address, phone and what ever else you want.

The reason for that sheet..... you have anxiety and so do I so it is MUCH easier to write down that the 1st time in price is $275 and the bi-weekly price is $120 than saying it. Also type up a sheet with some SOFT rules, maybe something like you prefer a key to get in or what ever..... tell them about yourself on this sheet... tell them about your dog, just type up SOMETHING on this sheet for them to read. Guess what this sheet is for? They need something to read while you are writing down their prices so they aren't looking at what YOU are doing! As you get more familiar with the business you can type up a better sheet for them to read.... maybe your rules once you know what your rules are.

This is just the tip of the iceberg but I'm trying to forget everything I learned about the cleaning business lol

Good luck!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Oh yeah.... get customers as fast as possible. Get 2 houses per day to clean and then hire a helper. Now work your way up to 3 houses per day with a helper. Now hire someone else and let those 2 people clean. Get yourself 1 house a day to clean and then hire someone part time to clean those houses. See, if all goes bad, you and 1 other person can clean all of these houses in a day.... if you have to. But keep doing this over and over as fast as possible. People are going to now show up for work the 1st day..... work 1-2-5 days then quit.... you name it, you will have that problem so you need to build and hire as fast as possible. Once you get to 3 good, solid workers it might be a little easier. But at first..... I have no idea where you will get the energy for that night job. I say your first 30 days you should have 3-5 customers. Within 60 days you should have atleast 10. At 120 days you should have a full schedule and ready to hire someone. Those are easy goals so if you don't reach them.... you might be in trouble.

Also, it will be at your judgement but at some point you will need to raise your prices. Don't raise everyone at once, just a few a month, probably around the 6 month mark. The reason I say this is because usually when people start, they give low prices. Then once they start cleaning, they realize it was not a good idea to clean Linda's house for $50.... especially once you put a worker in Linda's house and it costs you $49 for the worker..... so you make $1 profit minus taxes. You will quickly learn how to use a calculator.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Look up a guy called Rohan Gilkes. There's a Facebook group called launch 27 and a podcast called grow my cleaning company.
All these will help you. I'd also recommend doing Andy Black's adwords course and get nice flyers made up and pass out thousands of them.
Maid business can be tricky to hire people, you have to think that these people will be entering homes and stuff could be stolen. Make sure you're insured and bonded in case something goes wrong.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.