The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just Purchased a Dropshipping Company - Goals & Plans

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Since coming off to college ive had a tough time running my current business, time is extremely limited and my motivation had just declined due to lack of performance of the business. I stopped doing any sort of marketing because I just havent had the time to ship orders that come in. Im still running the business, just shipping out orders that come in without really putting any time into marketing. I realized that its not capable of generating the amount of revenue im looking for.

So I started looking for ways to generate passive income with a business that doesnt have much upkeep or work outside of a computer. Dropshipping was the obvious answer to my search for a business. But I didnt want to go through the hassle of starting a company from scratch and having to build a customer base in such competitive markets. I wanted to do something I had a lot of passion for, and ive always wanted to get into the automotive industry, but the competition for dropshipping in the automotive market it just too cutthroat for a start-up company. So I searched businesses for sale and came across a OEM BMW Parts dropshipping business for sale.

This is exactly what I was looking for. The business has been running for over 3 years and had done $220k+ in revenue in the past 3 years with a customer base of over 1700+ customers. The owner had started another business about a year ago and just didnt have time anymore to put into the company which caused a decline in sales and revenue. The business did over $100k in sales the first year and $80k+ in the second year but the third year dropped down to around $35k due to his new business getting in the way. I saw this as an opportunity to revive the business and bring it back to where it had used to be.

So I went ahead and negotiated with the Owner, ended up getting for half his asking price. We went ahead and got everything transferred over into my hands; I set up accounts with the suppliers and took over all operations as of today.

Were still in the transitional period finalizing all of it and im still getting a hang of all the operations, but in the next week or so I should be underway with marketing and advertising and promoting the business.

Goals & Plans

Im not going to list out all my statistical goals and all that but we are hoping to spark the business back up to where it used to be. I believe I can easily get my ROI within the first year and keep the business growing from there.

As for the website, www.AutobahnBWMParts.com, we are planning on cleaning up the search features and functionality of the site to increase our conversion rate. Any comments/ideas for the site are appreciated!

All of our suppliers supply parts for most german car brands (audi, mercedes, porsche, vw) so once we get things rolling and picking back up we are thinking about opening another drop shipping site, Autobahn Porsche for example and grow, and if that goes well, potentially open it up to all german car brands.

With my other business I never put my marketing campaign into full swing; so with this company I plan to implement and stick to a consistent marketing plan to bring the business back.

Cars always have problems and constantly need new parts, so I want to implement a customer rewards system or something of the sort to generate loyal return customers.

These are just a few of the big picture generalized things I am planning on doing, but I would love to hear any thoughts or ideas that any of yall have!

Thanks for reading :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Congrats. That's quite a step for an 18 yo. I am impressed.

I do hope you don't get grief from the BMW dealer with the very similar name down the street from TCU. I am not posting a link on purpose.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Seems like a good find. Well done, I wish I was thinking that way when I was in school.

paqman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 22, 2013
Beach, CA
. As for the website, www.AutobahnBWMParts.com, we are planning on cleaning up the search features and functionality of the site to increase our conversion rate.

Small world. We used to run marketing/SEO for that site a few years back. Hit me up if you want some insights. Hope Dave gave you a good deal.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
I do hope you don't get grief from the BMW dealer with the very similar name down the street from TCU. I am not posting a link on purpose.

I am aware of the Autobahn dealerships, I dont think itll cause any problems since were just an online shop.

Small world. We used to run marketing/SEO for that site a few years back. Hit me up if you want some insights. Hope Dave gave you a good deal.

Oh wow, it is a small world. Ill go ahead and shoot you a PM sometime later today :)

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego
Am I right in thinking that the site's success was due to spammy search tactics and that it was penalized by Google in May '12? Are you going to pursue SEO again or are you going to go with a paid traffic source this time?

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Am I right in thinking that the site's success was due to spammy search tactics and that it was penalized by Google in May '12? Are you going to pursue SEO again or are you going to go with a paid traffic source this time?

hmm i wasnt aware of that, where did you find that out? I will be putting effort into SEO, but we will be focusing a lot on PPC and other forms of banner advertising and site sponsoring, etc.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
becuase of the penguin hit the revenue hit a decline, and on top of that the owner had started a new company and just didnt have the time or desire to try and bring the company back up. The first couple years it was #2 in the SERPS and did $100k in revenue one year and $80k+ the next year. This last year it only did $35k.

He was asking $15k originally, but it was up for auction on flippa, and i was able to snag it for $7500. The seller has been extremely helpful throughout the transition and everything has transitioned nicely as of now.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Sounds like you scored a killer deal, that's awesome. You've got your work cut out for you to build traffic and market it against a lot of entrenched players.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.