The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jump right in or get a mentor first?

phicks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Feb 11, 2015
Hey guys!

I had a question that I thought some of you might be able to help with.

I see a ton of successful entrepreneurs that started out working for a startup/ finding a mentor before they began their entrepreneurial journey.

I'm 20 right now, so I'm just starting out, but I don't know whether or not I should act on some of my ideas I have right now or find someone to work for first, develop my skills, and then launch them later on with a stronger network and a better idea of how to run a business.

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAWS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
I lean toward the mentor side because that is my current situation. My mentor is phenomenal and is a pioneer in my current industry. But... I am sure there are pros / cons for both sides.

A (good) mentor will:
  • increase your learning curve (in the skills you choose to focus on and build)
  • build your self-esteem toward success, meaning once you get to know him/her and you learn their skills/mannerisms/language you are more likely to have their success. With that, I forgot who...but they talk about the 1/10 rule with mentors so get a GREAT mentor.
  • subconsciously make you more open to abundance and the big money world
  • give you leverage to go out and create a stronger network
  • help you mold the level of success you REALLY want
  • help you simulate and plan for new levels of success
A (great) mentor will:
  • Shift your paradigm toward wealth and make you rethink what it means to be successful
  • Will set a foundation of principles/value that will be invaluable as you grow and you have more options
Again, this is my current perspective working in an industry/job I am not crazy about, but working under someone who is absolutely GREAT and has achieved a ridiculous amount of success financially, socially, with family, and in spirit.

phicks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Feb 11, 2015
I lean toward the mentor side because that is my current situation. My mentor is phenomenal and is a pioneer in my current industry. But... I am sure there are pros / cons for both sides.

A (good) mentor will:
  • increase your learning curve (in the skills you choose to focus on and build)
  • build your self-esteem toward success, meaning once you get to know him/her and you learn their skills/mannerisms/language you are more likely to have their success. With that, I forgot who...but they talk about the 1/10 rule with mentors so get a GREAT mentor.
  • subconsciously make you more open to abundance and the big money world
  • give you leverage to go out and create a stronger network
  • help you mold the level of success you REALLY want
  • help you simulate and plan for new levels of success
A (great) mentor will:
  • Shift your paradigm toward wealth and make you rethink what it means to be successful
  • Will set a foundation of principles/value that will be invaluable as you grow and you have more options
Again, this is my current perspective working in an industry/job I am not crazy about, but working under someone who is absolutely GREAT and has achieved a ridiculous amount of success financially, socially, with family, and in spirit.

That was an awesome answer. Thanks for sharing with me!

I feel like that's what I hear a lot from people who have awesome mentors. They always seem to recommend it and go on and on about the increased learning curve and paradigm shifts that you talked about.

Right now I'm trying to find a way to combine the best of both worlds. Have a mentor while pursuing some of the projects that I had in mind.

Thanks again!

NewJamesBond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Nov 29, 2015
This forum community is your mentor... trust me this forum is pushing me. If you let it this community it will push you.

Also, read the The Fastlane Millonaire twice... then read it again.

tonycanevaro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 22, 2015
I asked a very successful businessman to mentor me once and his response was profound. "Most of my mentors, I've never met. Richard Branson etc don't mentor people but they do write their thoughts down."
There are excellent books by every leader in every field. Read em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
You do have a mentor... Actually you have several.
1.There are a good amount of successful people on this forum everyday that give good advice.
2.There are people on YouTube that give good advice as well.
3.There are successful people that write books to help people out too.

It's 2016, not 1729. You don't need someone to physical be there for them to teach you something.

Tony|Outwork Co.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 2, 2016
California
Jump right in and bring your questions and experiences to your mentor (or this forum) when you get them. You want to have a little background experience that you discuss.

You can also learn a lot of reading, researching, then doing.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
"Finding a mentor" is just another excuse not to take action.

You can learn just about anything you need to learn in todays age. There is so much information available today, you could consider that your mentor.

I hate the word "mentor" BTW.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.