The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey from disable to able.

Anything related to matters of the mind

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
If you want things, you will find a way. This is somewhat long, but important to me.

-Background
I'm a double amputee, below the knee. Im a symes type of amputee due to fibular hemimilia, a birth condition. So this means I still have a heel, just my feet were amputated. I can walk on my legs without prosthetics. This is exactly the same thing as Oscar Pistorius which some of you may be more familiar with.

I went to Shriner's Hospital for the full 18 years they allowed. Shriner's runs off donations, so I got bottom tier hardware for all 18 years, despite my continued interest in sports. All of the since birth amputees i know started going to different clinics when they were young, but not me.

-Changes
So fastforward to when I'm 19 (I'm only 20 now). I see a commercial featuring Amy Purdy, snowboarding and running. I think to myself, there honestly has to be more than this. At this point, i was too old for shriners and thought that I had my last pair of legs (i would get new ones every 1-3 years) that I would use for the rest of my life unless i had 20 grand to drop on new ones. I knew there had to be more.

The point of a carbon fiber foot is that it is lightweight, simple, and returns energy like a real ankle. I had a foot with bushings, plastic, and it absorbed energy and made all types of noises.

-Boom
After many fights with SSI, insurance, different jobs that I couldnt work due to the inability to stand for long periods, researching endlessly, I finally figured out how to obtain new legs that fit my lifestyle. A few months ago I was fit with legs that changed my life immediately. The way i wore them was totally different, and the characteristics of the foot were totally different. All for the better.

-But that's not the only thing!
6-8 months ago I applied through a foundation for running legs. The cheetah legs. They required running 3 5k's with proof, completing them in your current prosthetics, an essay on why you should have them, a referral essay, and multiple phone interviews. After 6 months of going through all of that, they denied me by specifically saying other people deserved them more than me.

Needless to say I was absolutely crushed. The whole six months i was on edge waiting to hear an answer, and i finally got one. But i didn't stop. I look around, told people in the industry of my story, and found alternatives. The alternative turns out to be better. The best possible route, in fact.

-Boom #2
Two months later, here i am. In two weeks I'm going to be in Fort smith, AK to meet with one of the best prosthetists in the world, the one who got Oscar Pistorius to where he was. He will be crafting my pair of cheetah running legs. I will also be meeting two other bilaterals from the foundation there and we will be hiking during my stay. I am completely stoked and am insanely thankful towards the foundation.

So thinking back 5-10 years ago when i used to beg for running legs at shriners and they told me they were too expensive and i wasnt going to be able to afford them, and thinking to how in two weeks i will have them made by the best leg guy possible is just an amazing feeling.

-Conclusion
I can go into way more detail about how all of this is has an effect on my life and what not, but I'll keep it brief. Moral of the story is, if you believe you can get it, you will.

If anyone has any questions out of curiosity, go for it, and thanks for letting me get that out!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Disobey

following breadcrumbs
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Feb 18, 2014
Luxembourg
Man, that's impressive!
You're the perfect example as to why giving up should never be an option. The spirit of a true warrior.

Sir, you have all my respect.:tiphat:

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Man, that's impressive!
You're the perfect example as to why giving up should never be an option. The spirit of a true warrior.

Sir, you have all my respect.:tiphat:
It's not something everyone can relate to, but i think it's a situation that everyone can take something from :p

I appreciate it man.

d.weglarz13

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 2, 2014
Wow man. Great stuff. Never give up. Takes on a whole different light when hearing it from you with your obstacles and you're getting guy who did Oscar Pretorius' legs? Very inspirational thank you for posting. Makes me feel like a douche feeling sorry for my own self sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Little update on this. Many great things. Unfortunately though, this doesn't do anything to help with money lol.

I GOT THE LEGS.
So i went to fort smith AK and met with the guy who made Oscar's legs and spent a week getting mine aligned and made. It took a month or two afterwards to finally get them shipped to me however, so that was a bit of a pain. But once I got them, I ran literally every other day. Right up until...

INVITED TO TRAIN
The foundation that got me the legs invited me and one other athlete to come train down in Florida. So it was me, two other guys basically my age, all living in one house and training every day. You should've seen our grocery bills. I was in Florida for two weeks and just about every morning went to a training session with a speed and fitness coach and pushed myself way harder than I ever have and learned good form. Especially considering I've never even been able to push myself running to begin with!

WHATS NEXT?
So now I'm back in St. Louis and training on my own just about everyday. There is a large track and field event for amputees that is held every year and it's in June, so I'm continuing training for that and for my own health of course. I will also be doing 5k's in the mean time. I plan on doing the same 5k that I did last year, in my OLD WALKING LEGS. Insane difference.

A NICE SURPRISE.
So. There are these legs that are like Cheetah running legs, but they have a heel on them (running cheetahs are like standing on your toes, you can't stand still) and they're made for everyday use. I know two people with these legs and they are made by most likely the absolute top guy in the prosthetic game. He actually invented the leg. It's the Cheetah Xplore and was bought by Ossur. My friend that was fitted by him has AMAZING fitment and the leg itself is crafted beautifully. So I decided i REALLY wanted these legs. Now I FINALLY have insurance, just in January, so I decided I would make a gofundme for the deductible. I worked a couple days with multiple hours on this gofundme to carefully explain everything and why I think I would put them to good use with good pictures etc. I showed to to multiple people who all said it was written very well and was understandable, so i felt really confident about it. I decided to promote it the next day.

When i laid down to sleep after finishing it, I got an email literally at 11:36. I got an email from the man himself saying that after seeing the pictures and videos from training while i was in Florida and hearing about how hard i pushed myself, he said it only felt right to get me into a set of well fitting Xplores. He did this by his own will, nobody asked him to do this. I had contacted him a month ago regarding if my insurance was covered, and that's when I figured out my out of network deductible. That conversation was with his assistant and it ended there. So he knew that I was interested, but like i said, after I got the information on the insurance it didn't go any further. This was a month later. He didn't even know that I had been cooking up a gofundme or how bad i really wanted them. Then out of nowhere, that email. I was bothering my friend in Florida almost every day just to look at his legs (no homo) because they were so well made and fit so nicely. And loooked completely badass. Then boom.

I'm rambling at this point, but I'm excited. So in a few months, I will be traveling across the country, again.

I think I'll go ahead and update this thread with my fitness/amputee journey. Also, I don't take offense to any questions. Feel free :)

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Bringing this back to making some $$$$

Have a friend with one leg. (below knee).
Because he is so active, he recently got a sponsorship from some prosthesis company (he's doing a badass like 1 or 2 year sailing trip around the world), so he got a free leg!

He was all pumped about that, it's carbon, has some cool new attachment point.

Then, believe it or not, with his new leg on, some show company spots him, and he does a shoe deal featuring him in, in his leg, (he has a fake foot to fit a shoe on to).

He isn't making $$$ on this, but he's gotten free goods for it.
I could imagine him telling more of his story and getting sponsorship deals.

Not super fastlane, but, turns a basic life need for him into $$$$.

--
So, not sure what the take away is, but, my friend is just a fun, smiling dude. Great guy.
And he never let the lack of a leg get in his way.

So he does his thing. And now he's got a new leg and a shoe deal (I forget the name of the company, so, maybe it's not a great deal... ha).

I think he posts on one of those social media sites with pictures and talks about it.

--
I do more and more work with disabled recreational groups, and, basically, my philosophy (as an able bodied dude), is, there are more and more sports that anyBODY can do.

So, do it!

Glad you are bouncing back on your feet (bad pun).
Now, turn that hustle into a business somehow, fast lane style please.

Keep us posted.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Bringing this back to making some $$$$

Have a friend with one leg. (below knee).
Because he is so active, he recently got a sponsorship from some prosthesis company (he's doing a badass like 1 or 2 year sailing trip around the world), so he got a free leg!

He was all pumped about that, it's carbon, has some cool new attachment point.

Then, believe it or not, with his new leg on, some show company spots him, and he does a shoe deal featuring him in, in his leg, (he has a fake foot to fit a shoe on to).

He isn't making $$$ on this, but he's gotten free goods for it.
I could imagine him telling more of his story and getting sponsorship deals.

Not super fastlane, but, turns a basic life need for him into $$$$.

--
So, not sure what the take away is, but, my friend is just a fun, smiling dude. Great guy.
And he never let the lack of a leg get in his way.

So he does his thing. And now he's got a new leg and a shoe deal (I forget the name of the company, so, maybe it's not a great deal... ha).

I think he posts on one of those social media sites with pictures and talks about it.

--
I do more and more work with disabled recreational groups, and, basically, my philosophy (as an able bodied dude), is, there are more and more sports that anyBODY can do.

So, do it!

Glad you are bouncing back on your feet (bad pun).
Now, turn that hustle into a business somehow, fast lane style please.

Keep us posted.
Yeah i was offered a sponsorship by a prosthetic company. I was excited until i look at the terms. Something like posting once a week about an activity im doing with their foot, something else involving their logo maybe once a month. I got $500 that had to be spread across 3 activities per year that I would post about. And they had to be my only prosthetic supplier. Sooooo yeah not worth it.

I would love to do something fastlane related but I honestly am pretty stuck. The amputee niche is too small to target by itself so I'd have to do something else. I do want to get into speaking though. Not fastlane but is something I want to do. I currently play as a zombie a few times a week and write small small copy gigs. Tossing around the idea of a nonprofit but it's hard to think of something that hasn't been done.

Also to note, I've previously done acting. But theres a severe lack of stuff in Missouri that pays and I don't move real naturally. So when there are disabled roles I audition, but other than that I'm not pursuing it further.

I'm open to ideas at this point!

LBear

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 22, 2016
If you want things, you will find a way. This is somewhat long, but important to me.

-Background
I'm a double amputee, below the knee. Im a symes type of amputee due to fibular hemimilia, a birth condition. So this means I still have a heel, just my feet were amputated. I can walk on my legs without prosthetics. This is exactly the same thing as Oscar Pistorius which some of you may be more familiar with.

I went to Shriner's Hospital for the full 18 years they allowed. Shriner's runs off donations, so I got bottom tier hardware for all 18 years, despite my continued interest in sports. All of the since birth amputees i know started going to different clinics when they were young, but not me.

-Changes
So fastforward to when I'm 19 (I'm only 20 now). I see a commercial featuring Amy Purdy, snowboarding and running. I think to myself, there honestly has to be more than this. At this point, i was too old for shriners and thought that I had my last pair of legs (i would get new ones every 1-3 years) that I would use for the rest of my life unless i had 20 grand to drop on new ones. I knew there had to be more.

The point of a carbon fiber foot is that it is lightweight, simple, and returns energy like a real ankle. I had a foot with bushings, plastic, and it absorbed energy and made all types of noises.

-Boom
After many fights with SSI, insurance, different jobs that I couldnt work due to the inability to stand for long periods, researching endlessly, I finally figured out how to obtain new legs that fit my lifestyle. A few months ago I was fit with legs that changed my life immediately. The way i wore them was totally different, and the characteristics of the foot were totally different. All for the better.

-But that's not the only thing!
6-8 months ago I applied through a foundation for running legs. The cheetah legs. They required running 3 5k's with proof, completing them in your current prosthetics, an essay on why you should have them, a referral essay, and multiple phone interviews. After 6 months of going through all of that, they denied me by specifically saying other people deserved them more than me.

Needless to say I was absolutely crushed. The whole six months i was on edge waiting to hear an answer, and i finally got one. But i didn't stop. I look around, told people in the industry of my story, and found alternatives. The alternative turns out to be better. The best possible route, in fact.

-Boom #2
Two months later, here i am. In two weeks I'm going to be in Fort smith, AK to meet with one of the best prosthetists in the world, the one who got Oscar Pistorius to where he was. He will be crafting my pair of cheetah running legs. I will also be meeting two other bilaterals from the foundation there and we will be hiking during my stay. I am completely stoked and am insanely thankful towards the foundation.

So thinking back 5-10 years ago when i used to beg for running legs at shriners and they told me they were too expensive and i wasnt going to be able to afford them, and thinking to how in two weeks i will have them made by the best leg guy possible is just an amazing feeling.

-Conclusion
I can go into way more detail about how all of this is has an effect on my life and what not, but I'll keep it brief. Moral of the story is, if you believe you can get it, you will.

If anyone has any questions out of curiosity, go for it, and thanks for letting me get that out!
I received a single modified cheetah explore - it has a heel on it - so it's suitable for standing, walking, and running. I'm a recent (June 6, 2015) bk amputee, so this is my second prosthetic leg, the first being my preliminary prosthetic shortly after surgery. It's a wonderful prosthetic - you will be very pleased with it. I feel very fortunate to be the first to receive this leg in the HMO I belong to. It's got great dynamic energy return and compensates for quite well for uneven surfaces. Congratulations on sticking with your pursuit to get the legs that are best suited to your active lifestyle!

LBear

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 22, 2016
I received a single modified cheetah explore - it has a heel on it - so it's suitable for standing, walking, and running. I'm a recent (June 6, 2015) bk amputee, so this is my second prosthetic leg, the first being my preliminary prosthetic shortly after surgery. It's a wonderful prosthetic - you will be very pleased with it. I feel very fortunate to be the first to receive this leg in the HMO I belong to. It's got great dynamic energy return and compensates for quite well for uneven surfaces. Congratulations on sticking with your pursuit to get the legs that are best suited to your active lifestyle!

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri

Lol yes this is very fortunate. Amputee for not even a year and already has the best! I wasn't even fit with an active foot until the age of 20 despite my pleas, all depends on who surrounds you.

Still working on the Xplore. Finished up some paperwork, and soon I'm going to launch a gofundme for the travel and rent expenses.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
83mLjSa.jpg

Some motivational update. Also cool as hell it's gotten over 1.3k likes on FB and well over 100 shares. Probably the LEAST focused picture I had, but it worked.

I posted this picture along with an emotional confession about how I used to be laughed at when I'd actually run during the mile run in middle school and made fun of for how I looked when I ran. And how I was denied running legs by a foundation that was supposed to help you get them if you needed them and that now I run because I can, whether I'm fast or not.

Good times :)

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
UPDATE!

1-
After not hearing from the guy who said he was going to make me Cheetah Xplores for two months, i emailed him with updates on my adventures in LA and other stuff, and he replies back telling me he's too busy and won't have time for me anymore, after 6 months of patiently waiting. Extremely disheartening yet again.

Also my grandma who's insurance plan i was on ends sept 1st... i was working on 2 other options but both of those options are gone with no insurance.

So I think for now I'm stuck in my sketchy legs for however long.

2-
I also got a valet job after being in dire need of money and my car needing like $800 in repairs. I thought it went great the first day. I have to use my cheetahs due to all of the running, but it was no problem, at least for the 6 hour shifts i asked for. 8 hour standard shifts would've been too much.

So I go to sleep after my first shift proud that I did a good job at such an active job, until I woke up at 4am in extreme pain. I've never taken pain medications until that day. 9/10 pain in my residual limb. So I will be working one day a week...

3-
On the bright side, I did start a YouTube channel that is doing decently. 3k+ subscribers in a few months and all of my vids get a couple thousand views at least and one of them has over 150k. But I've made 0% ROI on that.

PLANS?
-Talking to a broker on Monday about some real estate options, want to get more into it. Maybe pull a G Alexander and live rent free.

-Want to finally take my stab at affiliate internet marketing ive been putting off for a month or two. Basically my only hope for real money... i should've done this before i went to LA a few weeks ago, but I didnt and then LA broke me and when I got back i lost all momentum with it. Maybe come up with my own internet marketing strategy/website/products? Probably affiliate first.

-Keep doing YouTube on a weekly basis.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
So I go to sleep after my first shift proud that I did a good job at such an active job, until I woke up at 4am in extreme pain. I've never taken pain medications until that day. 9/10 pain in my residual limb. So I will be working one day a week...

I'm sorry about that :(

talking to a broker on Monday about some real estate options, want to get more into it. Maybe pull a G Alexander and live rent free.

Sounds interesting.

Want to finally take my stab at affiliate internet marketing ive been putting off for a month or two. Basically my only hope for real money... i should've done this before i went to LA a few weeks ago, but I didnt and then LA broke me and when I got back i lost all momentum with it. Maybe come up with my own internet marketing strategy/website/products? Probably affiliate first.

Focus is the most important thing. I don't know what your YouTube videos are about, but maybe you can leverage the following/audience that you already have into something that could potentially be more lucrative for you in the long run?

Good luck!!!!!

Stella Harvie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 2, 2016
Los Angeles
Inspired me! Thank you for sharing.

I had a stroke three years ago, my body was partially paralyzed and my speech was nonsense. I have recovered.. slowly!
I have a retail website for disability people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.