The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joining the Fastlane - my motivation for success!

sigurdur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 26, 2012
Iceland
Hey gang!

I wanted to start off by introducing myself before I lurk too long in here. ;-)

Personal details
My name is Sigurdur and I live in Iceland.
I have two lovely children and a fiancée.
Thankfully I am not a house owner, purely a renter.
Unfortunately though, I have a couple of loans that I am paying up.
I have a day job working as a service engineer for medical devices. This job pays for the monthly bills + expenses.

My entrepreneurship
I have been playing with affiliate websites for a couple of years now, but not put too much effort in them, I allowed a lot of other things in my life consume my time. I make a small amount each month from the affiliate programs.
I run a local e-commerce website that is pretty niche specific and has _ABSOLUTELY NO COMPETITION_ - which I think is really awesome. I sometimes host seminars in this niche locally as well.
I own a business with two friends (one became a friend after we started the business), we have been in business for a year and a half now. We've had our ups and downs but now we are working our way towards designing services/solutions and then sell them off.

What I have been taught in my past
My father has been running a business (recently sold out) since he was approximately 20 years old.
When I was a child, I remember him telling me about the awesome invention - the safety match. "All you need is one simple invention like the match that everyone will use - then you're set for life." He was right. This has been stuck in my mind since as long as I can remember myself.

My biggest motivation to success
Last weekend (20th of October 2012), my sister-in-law passed away.
I have been dabbling with becoming a proper entrepreneur/solopreneur for a couple of years and when I saw her dead body it forced me to face the mortality of myself.
She was only one month older than I.
Now the desire burns in my head to escape the slow lane and head towards the fast lane - for my family's financial future but first and foremost to have more time with my kids before they leave to start their lives (or I pass away).
To start revving my success machine, last week I started working out a half an hour each day + stretching. I use an elliptical trainer at home so I get a minimum driving down time.

The good Book
I was listening to a podcast (Pat Flynn - SmartPassiveIncome.com) last week while driving between places when my player turned on the podcast with MJ as the guest. After the podcast I was really interested in reading his book .. five days later (earlier today) I finished the book (Kindle - what a great platform) and needless to say - WOW!
I will read this book again (I did slow-read the book to adsorb as much of the content) regularly to make sure I stay focused and to remind myself of not taking stupid decisions.

My future focus
I have found a void in a market I know partially, but I am focusing on filling this void with subscription based software.
I am unsure of how big the potential is, however I feel that the potential reoccurring money is big enough to allow me to quit my job.
I am ready to do what is necessary for success - even drink the moose piss (ref. BeerFest movie :groove: ).

Free time - pffff
I have no free time, by choice (plus, I cannot control myself. If I am idle I get restless .. idle is not a valid state for me).
I don't watch TV any more, I stopped watching general news in 2009 (just gets you too depressed and angry .. not a mental state I want to be in). I fill my TV time with work time (and occationally I spend a little time with my fiancée).
When I'm in my car, I don't listen to the radio. I listen to a business podcast that helps me condition my mind towards business thinking.
When I'm on the elliptical trainer I listen to a business podcast.
When I'm cooking, doing the dishes or doing any other autonomous job, I listen to a business podcast.
When I'm putting the kids to sleep, I am either listening to a business podcast or thinking about my business.
Lack of free time is no excuse for anybody!

Thanks for reading this!
Since you made it this far, congratulations!
Thank you for reading my introduction post :)
Have an awesome day!!

Oh .. and please say hi! :smx19:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro, thanks and welcome. :D

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Congrats sigurdur! I've been sippin that moose piss for some months now and it feels great. Sounds like you are quite knowledgable and off to a great start. Your father was right, you just need that one idea, motivation and perseverance. Best of luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...