The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joe Rogan and Gary Vaynerchuk on escaping quiet desperation

Anything related to matters of the mind

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And how does one get trapped in a life of quiet desperation?

The Script...

Nice video that really emphasizes the power you have when you're young, and to "go for it." Because at 40 with 4 kids and a mortgage, it's much harder.

The Script is has gone from twine, to cement.

Andreas Thrane

Workaholics aren't heroes
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 6, 2018
Denmark
I really dont understand why the narrative 'if you're old with responsibilites, you have no chance in life, and you have to live in despair the rest of your 30-50 years.

I'm 32, two kids, girlfriend and all that jazz. I'm working my a$$ off to get unscripted - and yes, it would have been a lot easier, if i started at a younger age. But i didn't knew what i know today. I stumbled upon MJ DeMarco too late. But that doesn't disqualify me from a good life.

It's easier than ever to change your future. Just look at this thread by @RHL

It's wrong to crash the dreams of the 'elderly' people in here who works for a better life.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I believe the whole system needs to be changed. I fell into the trap, because the Baby Boomer advice was you get any job because that's responsible. Which really was a mixed message, that I didn't see at the time. If you have some relatives that have Side Walk, Fastlane, and Slowlane, they kind of blurred the lines, and I don't believe they quite understood the difference.

If I look at my family ancestors, for example: My great grandfather was a line of innovators, creators, and entrepreneurship. Traveled from Scotland to New Brunswick, Maine, to Chicago, Illinois, to Grand Haven, Michigan. Florist and Nursery business, which was mixed with farming in a sense in Whitehall. He built houses and bought land.
Then his son followed with some of this, and had his own small business, radio and television repair. Obviously, intellectual, technical, and mechanical.
Of course, the land was sold, and the building.
The children themselves were mixed with any job and then those who followed suit with slow lane.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1p2PbfNk0c

Maternal Side: Immigrants from Czech Republic, and bought a farm. When you were 18 kicked out and sent to Detroit to get any job. There's a few who became Fastlane and stayed there when Detroit was booming, although they've mostly passed away from the Traditionalist Generation.

Back in the day, "Entrepreneurship", wasn't probably talked about the way we see it today. And I think it blows my mind, because the family as a whole doesn't see the difference. And it's just told to everyone, "Any job will do." What I pointed out to them last year. One of them knows I'm right.

Fortunately, families today need to be clear and concise about what they're teaching in their families to survive. Obviously, if you have Fastlane and Slowlane in the family they should be teaching the others the ropes.

But the difference, I believe hypothetically, or my theory, is that a portion of the Baby Boomers really just believed they were working hard, and didn't really question what they were doing or how they were getting anywhere in life. Where the Traditionalists believed in teaching their family the ropes in their family business, the Baby Boomers dropped the family and hired other people.

Sure they were good at bullying me around about being responsible, but fortunately, if you're not being clear and concise of what direction is building real wealth, and don't know the difference in your language and communications, your not really going to get the outcome or the result in the children.

I didn't even see it until I was in the forum here. Fortunately, everyone in families believe everyone else is thinking, executing, processing information, growing, maturing, in the same way.

I was getting bullied for being in the right direction, because there was a slow laner communicating with two side walkers which never knew anything about building a business, owning a business, or being an Entrepreneur. While a slow laner is just listening to their family squawk about stuff, and never really checking out what I was actually doing.

I learned within family there can be blurred lines and deception, and of course, people need to investigate further, than just listening to hear say.

Fortunately, I'm not the only one who gets in this situation, which is why I dislike gossip, rumors, and drama and trauma. For the simple reason, you can be doing 100%, while others are saying your doing 50%, because they have no clue about what they're talking about.

I think people get frustrated with family for the simple reason everyone is growing, evolving, and in different level intelligence on multiple levels. Which is if you have the sidewalk mentality, all you can see is any job, and that any job is supposed to be the long-term solution. Which it isn't a long-term solution, it's short fix, or short-term gain, stepping stone, or platform, to jump off of to get to the next step.

Sidewalker's aren't concerned with long-term gains, they're concerned with short-term gains. And so when they get stuck in their jobs, their often complaining about it all because all they know is any job will give them minium wage, and if they're not interested in educating themselves they stay in the same place.

I believe there are certain people who are made to be Entrepreneurs, because I can see that just in my family. You either have it or you don't, and have to find your own way, because not everyone plays by the same rules of the game. I'm a different breed and of course side walkers don't understand that language. It's easier to give up, quit, be depressed, hang on to that any job mentality, and than complain about how miserable life is and it never changes.

Children live by example, and if you're not educating your children, pointing the way, than they end up repeating that dysfunctional family pattern of landing in the sidewalk.

Which when I started this forum my child just turned 18, and I've watched it spring board him forward and kind of excited to see where he goes in life now, because I simply made a few choices to point him in certain directions for success.

I also encourage his intelligence, innovation, creativity, and know where he's geared for engineering, robotics, coding, scripting, and of course, he will do fine in the future as long as they keep striving for this excellence. I don't have to scream, yell, because everyone else is in life.

The right information determines whether one succeeds or fails, and sure there is the any job they have right now to get them through the education, and then spring board higher. The know it's not the long-term goal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I really dont understand why the narrative 'if you're old with responsibilites, you have no chance in life, and you have to live in despair the rest of your 30-50 years.
I'm not sure either, because your children are grown, and you have more free time to work on things and do something different in life.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Great video. I've seen quite a few like this from Joe over the years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.