The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why is Tai Lopez and Gary Vaynerchuk Getting More Engagement Than GoPro?

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I used to check out GoPro a few years ago in Facebook, they used to get thousands of likes for every post they publish on their page.

But check them out now in Facebook, 187 likes or so with 10 million followers. What micro engagement is that?

I thought that the reason for such low engagement is Facebook algorithm trying to make people pay money for ads.

But if you look at Gary Vaynerchuk and Tai Lopez's facebook channel they are getting over 1000 likes even though they only have around 1 million followers. I don't think they will boost every single photo they are uploading, because they upload a lot everyday. But I can't be sure.

Question: Why is Tai Lopez and Gary Vee having 100 times more engagement in Facebook than GoPro?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Gary and Tai are marketing geniuses. Gary for 1 is BIG on stressing ways to increase engagement. I dont know about Tai

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
In one of Gary's keynotes he talks about how he focus on depth and not width. Something like :

"Who cares if a million people see your product if nobody buys from you. I'd rather focus on the much smaller percentage of people that are actually going to buy from me and build a deep relationship with them"

These deep relationships is what leads to the type of engagement your talking about

I noticed that any video that Gary posts WILL have a minimum of 2k views within a day

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
They probably asked (Gary did) people to select them as a highlighted poster. I doubt GoPro would do that.

I followed Gary for a while but stopped since he spams round the clock with clickbait videos.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
They probably asked (Gary did) people to select them as a highlighted poster. I doubt GoPro would do that.

I followed Gary for a while but stopped since he spams round the clock with clickbait videos.
I followed Gary for a bit, and recommend it to get an idea of his energy and hustle. His content is good too, but it inevitably repeats itself.

He almost puts out too much content and I'd end up getting nothing done if I tried to watch everything. So I just unsubscribed.

A lot of his content (not all!) is aimed at getting people to just start already. Glad someone's doing it, but if you're already in motion then it might be better following people who are just ahead of you on your chosen path.

As for why they get more engagement than GoPro? I've not even looked at GoPro content, and wouldn't touch Tai's stuff with *your* barge pole. So I can't comment.

I agree that it's about depth, not width.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I also stopped binge watching videos. Its not useful. But he is getting eyeballs for sure.
In the last 1 year i watched him grow atleast 500% in followers.
I saw Tai growing over 5000% lol.

They must be doing something right. That is what interests me.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
H know very little about both these guys, but I can;t understand how anyone could find Gary Vaynerchuk engaging.

Vuynerchuk is really annoying. All he does is scream about the following 2 things.

"WORK HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE DOES, YOU GOTTA BE WORKING YOUR a$$ OFF WHILE THE COMPETITION SLEEPS OR THEY'LL BE WORKING WHILE YOU SLEEP."

"YOU'VE GOT TO HUSTLE. BE A HUSTLER. GO OUT THERE AND HUSTLE"

Doesn't even define what "Hustle" means. Should I be working street corners?

Atleast Tai Lopez showed us around a big mansion and Beverley Hills.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
I used to check out GoPro a few years ago in Facebook, they used to get thousands of likes for every post they publish on their page.

But check them out now in Facebook, 187 likes or so with 10 million followers. What micro engagement is that?

I thought that the reason for such low engagement is Facebook algorithm trying to make people pay money for ads.

But if you look at Gary Vaynerchuk and Tai Lopez's facebook channel they are getting over 1000 likes even though they only have around 1 million followers. I don't think they will boost every single photo they are uploading, because they upload a lot everyday. But I can't be sure.

Question: Why is Tai Lopez and Gary Vee having 100 times more engagement in Facebook than GoPro?

Buying followers is one thing
Buying likes is another

Gopro doesn't buy likes

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
It's the same on Twitter too. Guys like Kanye West, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd etc tweet infrequently yet they get 1000s of likes/RTs in minutes. They don't need many characters either.

I'm not sure if that's down to "marketing genius" or the demographic they cater towards. Younger folks and more time to engage.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Company vs Person

Most people know GoPro is a company looking to sell a product.

Most people don't know that about Gary/Tai.

"WORK HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE DOES, YOU GOTTA BE WORKING YOUR a$$ OFF WHILE THE COMPETITION SLEEPS OR THEY'LL BE WORKING WHILE YOU SLEEP."

"YOU'VE GOT TO HUSTLE. BE A HUSTLER. GO OUT THERE AND HUSTLE"

What's wrong with hustling?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I personally don't agree with the whole "hustle/grind until you stop" camp. It's dangerous advice.

We seem to be underrating sleep and you can be successful by getting plenty of sleep. Just ask Arianna Huffington.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Gary V is more popular than GoPro, because GoPro is not a hype anymore. Add factors like facebook algorithms, facebook decline in general and difference in their business models, and the question is not even a question.

Also, GoPro has a whole another scale of engagement: their products are bought, used and showcased on daily basis by thousands of people all over the internet. This is engagement.
Getting likes on fb/youtube is not.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
I personally don't agree with the whole "hustle/grind until you stop" camp. It's dangerous advice.

We seem to be underrating sleep and you can be successful by getting plenty of sleep. Just ask Arianna Huffington.

+1

Work smarter not harder.

Also, commandment of time. You should outsource stuff and have more time to enjoy yourself.

I don't have my time dictated to me (you have to be in the office monday-fri 9-5), so free to work at night or skip days - whatever works to my natural rhythm. I believe this is healthier/more natural.

Dreams or just lying in bed and having my mind wander can be a good source of inspiration sometimes too.

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
I think Gary and Tai are growing so rapidly because now it's become "cool" to be an entrepreneur. Plus, Gary's videos are short and the point motivational clips that people love watching. They're designed to go viral and from the number of times I've seen him pop up in my feed I guess you could say they're working.

Tai is also a VERY good marketer and uses paid advertising extremely well. I always see his ads on my Facebook and on YouTube videos aswell.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
there are probably more wannabee entrepreneurs than go pro enthusiast, also I think the former just attracts a different type of crowd than the latter

so it seems like an apples and orange comparison to me

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
No one has touched on this, but GoPro doesn't add any value to anyone's life ( in watching their videos ).

I mean, what do I get out of a GoPro video on their Facebook page? "oh someone just jumped off a cliff", "someone just deep water dived the blue hole". It's nice to watch and all, but did I get value? NO. I got entertained for a few minutes, but there is no value generally.

When you watch a Tai Lopez or Gary V video on FB, you get some value ( for the average person ). Me and you might not because we know a lot of this stuff internally and that's why we think Tai might be trash, but for the average person they are going to pick up SOMETHING from these 2 people. Some kind of value they didn't have before and makes them think "Ah Ha" and then the likes roll in.

Same would be true for a wannabe version of Gary V that might be less known. You give someone value and they hit a "Ah Ha", the likes will come.

Does anyone get a "Ah Ha" from a GoPro video. No. Not really.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Beyonce could post a video of her taking a dump on a cute little kitten and still get thousands of likes.
People can get the type of hardcore fan that companies just cant.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Tai and Gary have made millions or tens of millions.

GoPro has made tens of billions.

This is what you get when you focus on the event rather than the process. Nobody cares whether a video gets 100,000 likes or 100 likes if, at the end of the day, the guy with 100 likes moved 70,000 units of product at $120/unit profit while the guy with 100,000 likes sold 400 $0.99 coaching e-books and ten t-shirts in the same span of time.

Focus. On. The. Sale.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Tai and Gary have made millions or tens of millions.

GoPro has made tens of billions.

This is what you get when you focus on the event rather than the process. Nobody cares whether a video gets 100,000 likes or 100 likes if, at the end of the day, the guy with 100 likes moved 70,000 units of product at $120/unit profit while the guy with 100,000 likes sold 400 $0.99 coaching e-books and ten t-shirts in the same span of time.

Focus. On. The. Sale.
Amen.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
No matter what motivational or inspirational video you click on on YouTube Tai Lopez has a 6 minute commercial that will come on.

It can be OLD videos. He has his commercial in there. I skip it every time.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Gary has personal relationships with Facebook, and understands their algorithms.

When you know how the algorithm works, you play into it and you reap the rewards of it.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
He almost puts out too much content and I'd end up getting nothing done if I tried to watch everything. So I just unsubscribed.
Gary himself told in one of his video to stop watching them every time one comes out.
Go hustle and then come back to watch it if you need inspiration or something like that.

Now one guy that posts a lot is Grant Cardone. And almost in every post there's a link to buy something !

Summer Adams

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jan 9, 2017
Riviera
I used to love Gary's videos a lot but he does repeat him self and many of his content lacks depth. It's more about kicking people up the butt which people love. But he is a very clever businessman.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.