The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jigsaw Manufacture

Idea threads

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
I have a jigsaw puzzle that was developed by me and sold these last year on my website unfortunately I have had to stop selling these as the production costs in th UK is now too expensive.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
I have a jigsaw puzzle that was developed by me and sold these last year on my website unfortunately I have had to stop selling these as the production costs in th UK is now too expensive.

Anyone got any ideas?
Sell them for more?

Chris_Varick

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 8, 2021
North Germany
this is a bit vague - I think you need to come up with more background info. From what you are writing not possible to judge - until 1 1/2 years ago the interest rates were low and people bought anything now they are keeping their money together and that makes it harder to sell without any significant USP

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
this is a bit vague - I think you need to come up with more background info. From what you are writing not possible to judge - until 1 1/2 years ago the interest rates were low and people bought anything now they are keeping their money together and that makes it harder to sell without any significant USP
Thanks for your response these types of jigsaw over the last couple of years follow a similar pricing pattern. In this jigsaw niche the price range is very close. So reducing manufacturing costs gives you an advantage. Also manufacturing in bulk gives you an edge. But world has changed and everything has got very expensive. Plus achieving a quality production costs more to manufacture as well.

pixelvendor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 19, 2023
How much demand was there for your specific puzzle? If the demand is big enough to make it worth producing in another country like China then that's probably where you should look. You'd probably have to produce in bulk and have a plan for how to distribute and store all of the products once the deal is said and done with your supplier. However I'd imagine there are puzzle specific suppliers in the bigger production countries already that could produce samples of your specific puzzle for a fairly low cost before you go all in on it.

AaronA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 18, 2023
I just put in a prototype order with boardgamesmaker.com. They may possibly be able to do jig saw puzzles. If not you can do some internet searching for another manufacturer.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
How much demand was there for your specific puzzle? If the demand is big enough to make it worth producing in another country like China then that's probably where you should look. You'd probably have to produce in bulk and have a plan for how to distribute and store all of the products once the deal is said and done with your supplier. However I'd imagine there are puzzle specific suppliers in the bigger production countries already that could produce samples of your specific puzzle for a fairly low cost before you go all in on it.
Due to shipping costs increasing across the world it hard to keep the margins.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
If producing it in the UK is too expensive, producing it elsewhere is too expensive because of shipping costs, and raising the selling price isn't an option, it does sound as if you've pretty much covered all the options for that specific product. What kind of outlets are you selling into? The standard high street, or via your own web site? Are there premium high street shops that might take them, especially in the run to Christmas? Although the kind of place I'm thinking of aren't really going to be doing big volumes.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
If producing it in the UK is too expensive, producing it elsewhere is too expensive because of shipping costs, and raising the selling price isn't an option, it does sound as if you've pretty much covered all the options for that specific product. What kind of outlets are you selling into? The standard high street, or via your own web site? Are there premium high street shops that might take them, especially in the run to Christmas? Although the kind of place I'm thinking of aren't really going to be doing big volumes.
A sensible reply.

Qeno

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 5, 2022
Maybe you can extend your offer. Find something else valuable that you can add, which costs you very little. Or get an edge over your competition by being better at marketing. Both should allow you to sell it for more.
I don't know anything about your puzzle. Maybe with some more information there is more actionable advice ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So are you suggesting the existing puzzle businesses are losing money?

How can they sell and make a profit? Do they own their manufacturing?

This is a problem, but there has to be a solution, otherwise we wouldn't have puzzles for sale.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
So are you suggesting the existing puzzle businesses are losing money?

How can they sell and make a profit? Do they own their manufacturing?

This is a problem, but there has to be a solution, otherwise we wouldn't have puzzles for sale.
Thanks for your reply my manufacturing costs for my niche puzzle in a popular market across the world is basically to expensive I had these manufactured in the UK using green eco packaging etc. These are quality products as to be expected from the UK. If I go oversees the costs have increased significantly. If I raise the retail price I out price myself out of the market. Basically I do not know what to do here as their is a demand for the product but not at any price and the market has told me this!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the tag!

@Mark Horrocks - I started a jigsaw puzzle company back in... my God, 6 years ago?!? Time flies.

I have a rather large thread about it. It's on the "Inside" part of this forum so you'll need an INSIDERS's subscription: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/progress-insider-bone-owl-puzzles.72873/

I could say way, way too much about this topic (and did - in my thread) but the penny tour of my thoughts on this subject would be:

- Physical retail is king. You'll want to get into physical stores. I couldn't make online work at all. I feel like most puzzles are impulse purchases.
- Physical stores don't want to sell 'a puzzle'. They want a line of puzzles, preferably in a theme.
- Keep your box size small. Shelf space in physical retail is competitive and they don't give newcomers that nobody has ever heard of the premium shelf space
- Pricing is pretty inelastic. People won't buy for much higher than they are used to for a normal puzzle.

Personally I spent a lot of time and a lot more money to figure out that just about every premise I based on my company on was off the mark. I honestly feel like if I tried again I could get a lot of things right but ultimately I've moved on from this idea.

If you read my thread and have additional questions or whatever - let me know.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the tag!

@Mark Horrocks - I started a jigsaw puzzle company back in... my God, 6 years ago?!? Time flies.

I have a rather large thread about it. It's on the "Inside" part of this forum so you'll need an INSIDERS's subscription: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/progress-insider-bone-owl-puzzles.72873/

I could say way, way too much about this topic (and did - in my thread) but the penny tour of my thoughts on this subject would be:

- Physical retail is king. You'll want to get into physical stores. I couldn't make online work at all. I feel like most puzzles are impulse purchases.
- Physical stores don't want to sell 'a puzzle'. They want a line of puzzles, preferably in a theme.
- Keep your box size small. Shelf space in physical retail is competitive and they don't give newcomers that nobody has ever heard of the premium shelf space
- Pricing is pretty inelastic. People won't buy for much higher than they are used to for a normal puzzle.

Personally I spent a lot of time and a lot more money to figure out that just about every premise I based on my company on was off the mark. I honestly feel like if I tried again I could get a lot of things right but ultimately I've moved on from this idea.

If you read my thread and have additional questions or whatever - let me know.
You have hit the mark here exactly what I have hit they want a line of puzzles my packaging is spot on small and eco friendly basically I burnt about £1k in total on this got sales etc. But I must confess I just wanted to touch base on this as we move towards xmas that horrible time of the year when I just want to live on a beach in the middle of nowhere.

I think I will move on from this but we live and learn and we all make mistakes that is life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.