The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is web development still valuable? - [Question]

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

JophMax

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2023
Hello there again.

Currently, I'm learning how to set the backend of a webpage with Flask and then learn about Django. Is this still valuable for the market or do you think It can be easily done with an App/Extension and I should be spending my time learning other web skills?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ElectricFox

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 31, 2022
Hi there,

My background is in software engineering.

It depends. What are you trying to do and what business need are you trying to solve?

I'm asking that because as tech geeks, we often fall into the trap of "I know how to develop XYZ, what can I develop so that I can start my business?" instead of starting from the problem/business need we are trying to solve.

Once that you know what is the need that you have to fulfill, you will be able to look up which tech stack is best suited.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
Currently, I'm learning how to set the backend of a webpage with Flask and then learn about Django. Is this still valuable for the market or do you think It can be easily done with an App/Extension and I should be spending my time learning other web skills?
Imho, you should start with the problem first, as ElectricFox already mentioned. The problem should be the foundation for your "skillset". What I mean by that, is, that you should only learn the skills needed to solve the problem instead of just learning a skill in Web Development in order to know Web Development. The former will lead to a business, the latter to a job.

An example:

You want to solve problem X for niche market Y. The best solution you can think of is by creating a Shopify App that does XYZ, for example. At this stage, you should research the needed skills in order to develop a Shopify App. Not the other way around. I do come from an SE background myself and back in the day I felt in love with languages like Python, C# and other languages as well as some tech stacks. You know what? Those technologies/languages are completely useless to me nowadays for my own product, as I'm developing Chrome Extensions which do not require any of those languages. So I would be really careful when it comes to learning a new skill/language/tech-stack, if it doesn't help you in your future fastlane venture.

And one more thing: If you choose the "problem into required skill-set"-route, consider a tech stack which has a proofen track record in terms of being useful for creating product XY, and not the one which is more sexier or the newest kid in the blog. Even if that means that you have to learn a language/stack that you don't like or that is harder for you. I am/was in the same boat and had to learn JavaScript in depth (Node.js/Express + React), which I didn't like back in the days and still find kind of goofy but it gets the job done better than anything else, so I had to choose that one.

JophMax

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2023
Hi there,

My background is in software engineering.

It depends. What are you trying to do and what business need are you trying to solve?

I'm asking that because as tech geeks, we often fall into the trap of "I know how to develop XYZ, what can I develop so that I can start my business?" instead of starting from the problem/business need we are trying to solve.

Once that you know what is the need that you have to fulfill, you will be able to look up which tech stack is best suited.
I have never thought about the concrete problem I wanted to solve. Guess I was wandering around all this time. I will seek a problem needed in the tech world and then I will find the knowledge needed.

Thank you very much for the insight.

JophMax

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2023
Imho, you should start with the problem first, as ElectricFox already mentioned. The problem should be the foundation for your "skillset". What I mean by that, is, that you should only learn the skills needed to solve the problem instead of just learning a skill in Web Development in order to know Web Development. The former will lead to a business, the latter to a job.

An example:

You want to solve problem X for niche market Y. The best solution you can think of is by creating a Shopify App that does XYZ, for example. At this stage, you should research the needed skills in order to develop a Shopify App. Not the other way around. I do come from an SE background myself and back in the day I felt in love with languages like Python, C# and other languages as well as some tech stacks. You know what? Those technologies/languages are completely useless to me nowadays for my own product, as I'm developing Chrome Extensions which do not require any of those languages. So I would be really careful when it comes to learning a new skill/language/tech-stack, if it doesn't help you in your future fastlane venture.

And one more thing: If you choose the "problem into required skill-set"-route, consider a tech stack which has a proofen track record in terms of being useful for creating product XY, and not the one which is more sexier or the newest kid in the blog. Even if that means that you have to learn a language/stack that you don't like or that is harder for you. I am/was in the same boat and had to learn JavaScript in depth (Node.js/Express + React), which I didn't like back in the days and still find kind of goofy but it gets the job done better than anything else, so I had to choose that one.
I will think of the problem first. What would you recommend as a good way to find needs in the market?

Maybe look at posts of people complaining about some problem they might have when coding on Reddit?

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
I will think of the problem first. What would you recommend as a good way to find needs in the market?

Maybe look at posts of people complaining about some problem they might have when coding on Reddit?
This is a topic that you should research for yourself. It's to big to sum it up in a single post. For SaaS products, there are for example: finding a niche audience and their problems, competing with existing but bad solutions, ... just to name a few possibilities.

to your second question. yeah, but only if you want to provide a solution for programmers.

Generally I and I guess a lot of other SaaS bootstrappers would suggest a vertical niche market strategy instead of going horizontal. That way, the potential is far less, but imho you can still make a fastlane out of it (except, if the total adressable market is too small). But again, you should research for yourself and I would highly recommend to read TMF again or Unscripted .

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023

there is a thread on the forum by @NeoDialectic that talks about it
Idea Generation To Execution: Fastlane Millionaire's Step By Step Guide

I'm going to be square, I don't know if you can do a business from the first try. Do a side hustle in whatever you are learning, and then starting your business with a financial backup (and reputation/clients) will be much easier (because of the backup, again)

There is a book called "The Right It" that will help you immensely about the most important aspect of ideas - validating that they are The Right It - that the market wants them. Check it out.

Good luck, for we are on the same path.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.