The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this the Google Secret Ranking Algorithm?

Marketing, social media, advertising

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
Is Google Algo so much of a secret? I've been studying SEO for quite a long time now and also implementing different techniques to find what works for me. I recently made a discovery.

I run a content-based website in a highly competitive niche to test some of my SEO strategies and also monetize with Google Adsense. After I had this idea, I went out and studied the top ranking sites dominating the niche and their SEO strategy.

What I discovered:
The Overall Site-Wide Authority of a Site whether PageRank, Domain Authority, Page Authority or whatever it is, has the Most Weight in the Google Algorithm.

This subset of blogs I studied always ranks in the top positions almost immediately their articles are published without any backlinks to these individual articles themselves.

I immediately went to work on my blog by building links to my homepage and some to my individual articles to make it natural. I also made sure I published lots of relevant and useful content at the same time and at a daily basis.

My domain authority and PageRank increased gradually. I Use RankSignals to check my PageRank. For a blog to begin performing well for competitive keywords, it needs to have an Overall PageRank of at least 1 (from RankSignals measurement).

After 7 Months (It would have been earlier if I was much consistent), Here is my result:
Alexa Ranking: 601k in the world, 2.9K in country (Alexa.com/siteinfo/nairascholars.com.ng)
PageRank: 1 (Ranksignals.com/tools/backlinks/nairascholars.com.ng)
Traffic: Over 120k Pageviews Monthly and Increasing Rapidly

I wrote this because I wish I had this idea much earlier. On-Page SEO alone will not give you the results (at least for competitive keywords). You need to have a Strong Domain Score, your articles and content will rank naturally without much On-Page SEO.

Get good quality backlinks to boost your Domain Authority and Overall PageRank, not just for individual articles. Content is King but Backlinks is Queen.

Has anyone also noticed this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Backlinks are essential to SEO, yes. That's basically the foundation of Google as a search engine. Have a look at the whitepaper Google's founders wrote when they went to Stanford: http://ilpubs.stanford.edu:8090/422/1/1999-66.pdf
Th intuition behind PageRank is that it uses information which is exernal to the Web pages themselves - their backlinks, which provide a kind of peer review. Furthermore, backlinks from \important" pages are more signicant than backlinks from average pages. This is encompassed in the recursive denition of PageRank

Edit: IMO you're on the money about how page authority bleeds over to new pages. Think of a website as a person. If you've heard that person provide lots of value and proof that he's an expert in a particular area, and people recommend him as the XYZ guy... you're probably going to listen to any new things he says as well.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Edit: Sorry, I just realized you already posted in my other thread earlier, but this reply is still relevant. The original reply:

You want Google’s secret? It’s not that secret once they broke the data apart. I literally posted it the other night. Quick Summary:

1. Backlinks remain an extremely important Google ranking factor. We found the number of domains linking to a page correlated with rankings more than any other factor.

2. Our data also shows that a site’s overall link authority (as measured by Ahrefs Domain Rating) strongly correlates with higher rankings.

3. We discovered that content rated as “topically relevant” (via MarketMuse), significantly outperformed content that didn’t cover a topic in-depth. Therefore, publishing focused content that covers a single topic may help with rankings.

4. Based on SERP data from SEMRush, we found that longer content tends to rank higher in Google’s search results. The average Google first page result contains 1,890 words.

5. HTTPS had a reasonably strong correlation with first page Google rankings. This wasn’t surprising as Google has confirmed HTTPS as a ranking signal.

6. Despite the buzz around Schema, our data shows that use of Schema markup doesn’t correlate with higher rankings.

7. Content with at least one image significantly outperformed content without any images. However, we didn’t find that adding additional images influenced rankings.

8. We found a very small relationship between title tag keyword optimization and ranking. This correlation was significantly smaller than we expected, which may reflect Google’s move to Semantic Search.

9. Site speed matters. Based on data from Alexa, pages on fast-loading sites rank significantly higher than pages on slow-loading sites.

10. Despite Google’s many Penguin updates, exact match anchor text appears to have a strong influence on rankings.

11. Using data from SimilarWeb, we found that low bounce rate was associated with higher Google rankings.

Article: 'We Analyzed 1 Million Google Search Results. Here’s What We Learned About SEO'

Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Is Google Algo so much of a secret? I've been studying SEO for quite a long time now and also implementing different techniques to find what works for me. I recently made a discovery.

I run a content-based website in a highly competitive niche to test some of my SEO strategies and also monetize with Google Adsense. After I had this idea, I went out and studied the top ranking sites dominating the niche and their SEO strategy.

What I discovered:
The Overall Site-Wide Authority of a Site whether PageRank, Domain Authority, Page Authority or whatever it is, has the Most Weight in the Google Algorithm.

This subset of blogs I studied always ranks in the top positions almost immediately their articles are published without any backlinks to these individual articles themselves.

I immediately went to work on my blog by building links to my homepage and some to my individual articles to make it natural. I also made sure I published lots of relevant and useful content at the same time and at a daily basis.

My domain authority and PageRank increased gradually. I Use RankSignals to check my PageRank. For a blog to begin performing well for competitive keywords, it needs to have an Overall PageRank of at least 1 (from RankSignals measurement).

After 7 Months (It would have been earlier if I was much consistent), Here is my result:
Alexa Ranking: 601k in the world, 2.9K in country (Alexa.com/siteinfo/nairascholars.com.ng)
PageRank: 1 (Ranksignals.com/tools/backlinks/nairascholars.com.ng)
Traffic: Over 120k Pageviews Monthly and Increasing Rapidly

I wrote this because I wish I had this idea much earlier. On-Page SEO alone will not give you the results (at least for competitive keywords). You need to have a Strong Domain Score, your articles and content will rank naturally without much On-Page SEO.

Get good quality backlinks to boost your Domain Authority and Overall PageRank, not just for individual articles. Content is King but Backlinks is Queen.

Has anyone also noticed this?

This has been known for quite a while.

If you review their update history, you'll see their alog is no mystery.

Moz - Google Algorithm Change History

You may want to revisit Panda & Caffeine, as well: original & fresh content.

Good work figuring it out on your own, nonetheless. Keep digging and you may find something no one else is talking about ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Google did publish the 200 page pdf for their checkers that was leaked but now is public. I'm guessing this is what ApparentHorizon linked to through Moz....?

I have 0 back links with 19 sites on the 1st page for about every relevant search in each city each site is in.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
Google did publish the 200 page pdf for their checkers that was leaked but now is public. I'm guessing this is what ApparentHorizon linked to through Moz....?

I have 0 back links with 19 sites on the 1st page for about every relevant search in each city each site is in.
How did you accomplish these? Is it possible for informational queries

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.