The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this stealing an idea?

Idea threads

MintV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
650%
May 28, 2019
I’ve had an idea for a marketplace for a while now. I’ve just done some research and found that this concept is already being done in the US but they don’t accept users from other countries to participate.

I’m in Canada and have talked to many people about their need and desire for this type of marketplace.

If I start this marketplace in Canada for Canadian consumers, is this just “stealing” their idea? I have some tweaks to make it better than it is currently being done but I worry that it is too close to their current business model.

Am I setting myself up for legal action if my website takes off?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No, it isn't stealing an idea.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
I was always wondering why there are a thousand brands of soaps, beers, cookies, phones, lamps, cars and other consumer & business products, yet no one is thinking they're stealing the idea.
But for software/digital products it's pretty much always the case.
Yes, they may hold some patents on the implementation details, a copywrite on text, graphics and even design of their web site.
But an idea of making a solution for a need and the business model itself isn't considered intellectual property, I guess.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
You have to distinguish between patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.

Patent -- an invention is disclosed in exchange for temporary exclusivity. If they hold a valid patent, then it may be enforceable. Not everything is patentable. They may have patented some key aspect of a marketplace.
Trademark -- you can't use their trademark, obviously.
Copyright -- protects the original piece of work, so you can't reproduce a book or a dance piece verbatim if the copyright is owned.
Trade secret -- something that is not disclosed, possibly because the legal protections of a patent do not outweigh the advantage of keeping the secret, as with a high-frequency trading strategy.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Go for it. As long as you don't violate trade mark, patent or copy write you're good to go. MJ even noted in his books that there are few new ideas. But many have gotten rich improving what is already out there.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
No one owns an idea.

Do it. And position for the main company to later buy you out when they want to expand into Canada.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.