The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a pain point for US-based folks?

Idea threads

Would you like to be able to search for discounts/cashback easily?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Ever since I moved to the US I've been (positively) overwhelmed with the amazing credit card offers and points that are available here.

I noticed that both bank and credit card accounts offer discounts or cashback for various websites. However, I've found myself having to log in to multiple apps (Chase, AMEX, etc) to figure out if a purchase I'm about to make has a discount available.

I'd love a search engine where you can just type the name of the brand or website you want to buy from, and will tell you whether any of your accounts offer a discount or cashback. I know the MaxRewards app offers that, but I'd like to build something that doesn't require connecting all your accounts to the app.

If you would welcome this solution, what would be your preferred platform? A standalone search website, a small phone app, or a browser extension?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
CapitalOne has a similar program called Capital One Shopping.

When you buy something, it automatically searches for discounts.

It does not, however, tell you which credit card has eligible discounts, as if the user has a dozen credit cards.

Mace22

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jul 10, 2023
Honey is similar to this idea, searching for discounts and coupon codes.
However cashback on certain stores seems interesting, but it would require signing up all your credit cards.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
CapitalOne has a similar program called Capital One Shopping.

When you buy something, it automatically searches for discounts.

It does not, however, tell you which credit card has eligible discounts, as if the user has a dozen credit cards.
Thank you all for the contribution and feedback.
Yes, CapitalOne shopping can do this for Capital One branded credit cards, but not for any others like AMEX or Chase
I created a very simple visual example below of what the search bar would try to do
1690207701055.png
1690207740475.png
How you make a profit from this?
Good question, I have thought of at least 3 ways but all of them require significant growth of traffic, and the product always has to be free. So no1 goal is to see if it's useful to people and I'll worry about monetising later. The website would have low enough expenses that testing it for a few months wouldn't be a concern.

You mean like Ebates?
Honey is similar to this idea, searching for discounts and coupon codes.
However cashback on certain stores seems interesting, but it would require signing up all your credit cards.
Ebates/Rakuten or Honey all provide the same model of coupons or their own discounts/cashbacks. None of them give you credit card based discounts, at least to my knowledge. So these can be compounded, and someone could use both a Rakuten/Honey discount and a card-based cashback offer.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Funnily I created an MVP to start gauging people's interest more formally, Cashback Search – Bank & Credit Card Discounts and Offers

only to realize that a free phone app (CardPointers) does this already :bored:

And I can't improve on their offering, theirs is actually even better than what I was planning. The only difference is the platform, but why would a large number of users prefer a website over a phone app? Doesn't look promising anymore, at least my idea had potential and made someone else money.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
I feel the same way when a patent search reveals the results I did NOT want. A great exercise, though - time to move on to your next idea!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.